Norwegian Sun/shore excursions/teen club

smithchick

Hi everyone-

We are going on the Norwegian Sun 3/19-3/26. I have soem questions about shore excursions.

This is what we are thinking:

Cozumel- Already confirmed a Royal Dolphin Swim with Shore Trips. We also plan to do lots of shopping..............

Belize- Thinking about a Mayan Ruiins excursion or beach type thing

Roatan- We might do a beach and sightseeing tour.

Grand cayman- We want to do the stingray and 7 mile beach excursion. I am not sure who to book through and was wondering how far 7 mile beach is from the port.

I would appreciate any heartfelt recommendations. Also wondering how the teen club is. I have a 13 year old and am a little concerned that she will have so much freedom.

the teen club is really good. We are on the same cruise, Sun, 3/19. We did the Sky last year and our Boys loved it. They are 13 and 15. They are supervised but not treated like kids. They have events every night. One night they all went to dinner together in one of the dining rooms, they did a playstation contest, they had a treasure hunt thru the ship, they had a party, a dance, all types of fun teen type things. We expect and demand that the boys act like gentlemen at all times and checked in on them periodically to insure that and they were. they made some really good friends during the week and they all hung out together. It was really nice. They get a Teen bulletin with the events listed each day. Most events are after dinner time. Sea days they have things going on. It's structured without being overbearing like child care or anything. My guys really liked it. without it they would be like at the middle school dance, everyone afraid to talk to anyone else, so it's a great ice breaker for them. and they really did make good friends last year.

Grand cayman- We want to do the stingray and 7 mile beach excursion. I am not sure who to book through and was wondering how far 7 mile beach is from the port.
If you go over to the Cayman Islands forum you'll find lots of people's experiences with the various operators.

Seven Mile Beach is almost walkable from town, although obviously it depends in part on where you want to go, as it'll be about 7 miles further to get somewhere near the other end of the beach. It's an easy cab ride, at any rate.

Sailed on the Sun on 2/05/05 and loved it! The teen club was a hit with my 17 year old nephew, but the 19 year old just found some guys his own age to hang out with. They all had a great time.

In Grand Cayman, we booked with Soto's Cruises for $30pp, and had a wonderful time. There were only about 10 of us on board and got a lot of personalized service. We found out later that the ship's excursion had been cancelled that day due to rough water, yet we did just fine with Soto's. Let me know if you want a link to my photos.

Linda

We will be on this cruise also. I have a 14 year old boy and 11 year old boy. Neighbors are joining us with their 11 year old girl and 8 year old boy. Glad to see there will be kids on the ship. I wasn't worried with it being Spring Break time though. I hope the teen program is good on The SUn, in the past my kids have disliked the programs offered on cruises. Most of the time they are bored with what they have to offer, I hope this is the exception!

Happy Cruising!

We will be on the same cruise 3/19 with another family. My son and his friend are 15 and my daughter and her friend are 13 so they are all looking forward to meeting other teens! Sounds like the teen club is lots of fun. Thanks for all the advice. Not sure what shore excursions we will do yet!

It sure sounds like there will be plenty of teens on this trip. Im sure some of our kids will meet up. I am beginning to think that I may not see much of her at all on this trip.

What excursions and companies are you guys using for Roatan and Belize??

Lori

Last year I went with Cpt Marvin, Its a great experiance with vists to the coral reef where the crew feed conger eels for us to photo and coral gardens. At Stringray City we all had our photo taken with the rays. This tour is better than the one we went on previouly with the cruise line as the numbers on board with Cpt Marvin are only around twenty. Where as with the cruise line(Carnival) it semed like two hundred with only two stops.

the thing with the teen club is the kids can do as much or as little as they like. it was just a good place for them to meet up, do some structured activity, and have some fun. the last night they all trade emails and stay in touch. everyday they couldn't wait to go to the teen club to talk about what they did that day, which excursion their family went on, they compare notes, etc. we had the same excursion with a few of the teens family's last year and since the kids already knew each other from the teen club they had an instant friend on the excursion to have fun with. then they all hung out at the pool together on sea days, or went and played playstation, etc.

as far as excursions we are doing the Buccaneer cat in cayman--stingray city, 2 other snorkel stops. In Roatan we are doing the dolphin encounter and going to a resort after that for some beach/snorkle time. Cave Tubing in Belize. Private snorkle tour and some sightseeing in Cozumel. Can't wait!

we also booked everything thru independent operators--except the dolphin swim which was only available thru NCL. You will love the canopy tour. We went to Costa Rica a couple of years ago and did it there one day---if it's anything like that--which is sounds like it is---you are in for a real thrill.

...Help!! Will be sailing on the Sun on March 26 and kind of new to all this. How do you find out about the independant operators? Are they safe and reliable? Do you really save that much money? The shore excursions are soooo expensive of course I'd like to find a cheaper way to do it, but at what cost? I dont want to get ripped off, or miss the ship or even lost in some foreign country....where do I begin???

I found all my operators by researching on these boards. Go to the boards that are port specific. I was able to get GREAT info and book things very easily. The only thing to be very careful about is payment. A lot of them expect cash or travelers checks when you meet them at the port. Another excursion we are doing in Cozumel is swimming with the Dolphins. We have a deposit with our credit card and they will charge it day of, but you have to pay $12.00 cash to get in the park when you show up. Just make sure you keep emails and bring them with you. Any questions about specific ports that the Sun is traveling to in March, I'll be happy to share what I have.

We will be on the same cruise 3/19 with another family. My son and his friend are 15 and my daughter and her friend are 13 so they are all looking forward to meeting other teens! Sounds like the teen club is lots of fun. Thanks for all the advice. Not sure what shore excursions we will do yet!

we will also be on the same cruise.. I too have a 15 year old son and have a daughter that is 13....will will also be with another boy and girl that is almost 13 and my other daughter is 10. I think they are going to have a blast!! Sure they will get to know each other....and I am glad to finally see that others are going to be on this cruise with kids...up until today I hadn't seen anything so I am very glad to see your post!! Can't wait...almost time...I am counting the hours!!! Tammy

In Belize We'll be Cave Tubing with X-treme. Roatan we'll be doing the Canopy tour thru NCL since that's the only way you can book it now. The other two ports I booked directly through tour operators and saved a ton of money!

mizboog

Our group will be doing the same things in Belize and Roatan! I'm sure we will hook up.... We are a group of 17 but only 13 are going on those two excursions. We will have a 15 year old boy, a almost 13 year old boy and girl, a 13 year old girl and a 10 year old girl. Looks like the teen club will be full of teens to talk with....my son is really looking forward to playing basketball and such and has no problem making friends...I'm sure they will be getting together....how neat! Tammy

Archived