Scuba cruises?

Ted S

As an avid diver with several friends who do not dive I'm wondering what cruise lines have the best options for diving (warmer is better) but are also nice cruises for people who do not dive with the normal sights and activities. I've done small live-aboards which are like cruises but generally most people there dive or are ok sitting around while people dive. This of course works well for me but not for the friends who I'm looking to travel with. Has anyone gone diving from a normal cruise line and if so, what was your impression of the dive quality and the overall cruise?

:) We have been and we enjoy it. There are also people aboard that go diving @ ever port if possible. After the dive usually you become friends while on board.

If we go to certain ports we book dives ourselves, since we have been so many times to that island (land or sea).

The same I am sure applies on small live aboards--Please tip your divemasters. That is what they live on most of the time.

If you can ever go to the island of Dominica--you have to make sure you dive.

Also, if you wonder about a buddy when diving don't there usually is someone to buddy with or the divemaster will hang with you.

Have Fun

Ted S --

I'm sailing on Windstar Cruises' ship the Windsurf next month. They have a full scuba program and they visit ports of interest to non-divers. The itinerary I'm on leaves Cozumel on March 20th and visits Roatan, Utila, Belize, and Coasta Maya. I'm sure you'll recognise these as excellent dive locations, and Windstar offers dives at each of these ports. It's the closest thing I've seen to a live-aboard that landlubbers will also enjoy. My wife doesn't dive and she's as excited about this trip as I am, and I can't freakin' wait!

The only caviat is that these are small ships (the Windsurf carries just 300 passengers) and do not offer many of the amenities of the floating hotels such as Carnival and Royal Caribbean. No Vegas-style lounge shows; no formal dress-up nights; no hairy-chest contests... If you can live without all that, Windstar may be the cruise line for you. Check 'em out at "windstarcruises.com".

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Ted - As Divadiver says you can arrange for diving at any port where a major ship may stop. Also, the Caribbean Princess and the RCCL Voyager-class ships have divemasters on board - in cooperation with PADI they both offer open-water certification classes during a one-week Caribbean cruise. I haven't gone with them but I was researching this last year before we decided to just get certified with a dive shop in Hawaii. You may want to check out the Princess and Royal Caribbean websites for their programs.

• 1 month later...

If you've always wanted to go scuba diving in Belize, Roatan, Cozumel and Grand Cayman, here is your opportunity! I'll be hosting a cruise for divers in December 2006 - non divers are welcome, but our focus will be scuba diving in all four ports of call.

For more information, please check out our web page and visit our message board/forum (links for both are contained in my signature) for more information. For a short time, it's only $25pp to deposit a double occupancy cabin. You can also tap into 2005 pricing on this 2006 cruise and get a shipboard credit of $100 per cabin. Singles are only $799pp; inside cabins start at $599pp!

• 10 months later...

Hi Ted, DW and I are very avid divers that often take cruise ships as a mode of transportation to and from dive spots just as others take a jet or car. Sometimes we fly in to enjoy one spot for the week and if you are like me you get more time under typically in a day by flying in. The up side to cruise ships is several different ports and often times countries per trip for the dollar.

Our group just got back from the Grand Princess 2/4/06, old U-Turn as we that were on the cruise call the trip - and dove three of the four ports, all dives booked by me on line. Costa Maya - a new port south of Playa Del Carmen we booked Maya Palms about $75.00 per diver - just opened small shop, tried hard to please but new to the business. Next was Belize City where we tendered over, caught a cab to Municipal airport flew Trans Air to Ambergris Caye and dove with Ambergris Divers then flew back, total day about $135.00 with cabs on both end included, definitely the dive of the week. We just enjoyed the day at Playa Del Carmen - ate lunch on the beach, great ceviche and cold cokes or drinks. Then we booked Dive With Martin in Cozumel $60.00 on line price if you pay cash, fast boats and Martin is the most honest person you will ever book in Mexico. He filmed a DVD of our dive and gave it to us to make copies for everyone then gave each of our group a tee-shirt. If you can beat that dive definitely book it quick - P.S. - if you go to Dive With Martin be sure to take old prescription eye glasses and he will give them to the clinic for the people that can't afford them.

There is plenty of options for non divers and like at Maya Palms, even though it is new the trip there - about 12 miles south of Mahahual which is the small town and I mean SMALL - the others in your group can walk or lay on the beach, very secluded, or walk around Mahahual a small fishing village. This small town is like the old days in Cozumel or 30 years ago on the Cancun side. Plenty of other excursions from the ship or plan them on your own just like you would if you flew in, then meet back up at a certain time and enjoy the rest of the day with the non divers, just like you normally would.

Next trip is 11/20/06 on the RCCL Empress of the Sea south Caribbean 11 nt, then one week off and we leave on 12/09/06 on The Grand Princess western Caribbean 7nt again, if you are looking for a good trip jump on one of these and we will set up dives on many of these islands and countries and you can book with our group for exactly what each of us pay nobody makes anything on anybody. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I will try to answear them for you, just check out the RCCL - ROLL CALL - Empress of the Sea Thanksgiving 11-20-06 as I check this thread almost every day. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=258

I am not a very good typer so my fingers are pooped, good luck and SEA YA, earl.

• 7 months later...

I'm with you Earl. Cruising to the dive site is a great way to go (and for those of us who don't have that many vacation days - an extra plus to combine 2 of our favorite things).

Geez wish I'd seen this before our last belize cruise trip. Flight over to Ambergis - what a great idea. Well next time.

We'll be diving our upcoming Freedom cruise. I joke that we've seen the underside of the islands more than the topside.

Another great cruise/dive stop that we enjoy is St. Lucia.

We're hitting Coz, Grand Cayman and Montego Bay. We usually dive with Isadro in Coz but will try Dive with Martin if he's not available. We've used Red Baron in Grand Cayman (they were fine just expensive) any suggestions? Haven't been to Montego Bay - is it worth diving? Any suggested Dive Ops for there?

We're also signed up to cruise on the Serenade in Mar '07 for it's dive stops. :) Gotta update my signature. :D

Oh speaking of suggestions for dive ops. Our favorite closed in Islamorada. We're going in early to dive the keys before our cruise. Would appreciate any suggestions you have for the keys as well.

Are we wet yet?

• 1 month later...

Same here - my how far the mighty have fallen when a trip on a cruise ship is no longer a cause for celebration, but merely a Greyhound Bus for us diving riftraft.;)

Hi Ted, DW and I are very avid divers that often take cruise ships as a mode of transportation to and from dive spots just as others take a jet or car.

• 1 year later...

I posted this as it's own stream but thought I would here also. My husband and I are taking a Med. cruise in September and are planning to dive in some of the ports (Dubrovnik, Livorno, and possibly Monaco). We have been able to arrange dives in the first two but have not been able to find a facility in or near Monaco. Has anyone done any diving in or near this area? If so could you put me in contact with a good facility? Thanks

Archived