Seashells - Bring them home

Izzblizz

We are going snorkeling in Freeport and noticed the tour we are on often stops to dive for seashells and sand dollars. Are there any customs or other issues with bringing these back on the boat? Or back into the US when we disembark.

I seem to remember that in Cozumel a few years back, we weren't allowed to "collect" sea shells, but can't remember what the issue was.

I've brought back shells and glass I've picked up on the beach...don't know about diving for them as they may be live. Be sure you know or ask whether sand dollars are alive or dead...they will really stink if they are alive in your room.

We are going snorkeling in Freeport and noticed the tour we are on often stops to dive for seashells and sand dollars. Are there any customs or other issues with bringing these back on the boat? Or back into the US when we disembark.

I seem to remember that in Cozumel a few years back, we weren't allowed to "collect" sea shells, but can't remember what the issue was.

As other poster said nothing with an animal in it. Also don't pick up the brain coral as that is a big no no alive or found dead on the beach.

If you are diving for sand dollars then they are alive.

As other poster said nothing with an animal in it. Also don't pick up the brain coral as that is a big no no alive or found dead on the beach.

If you are diving for sand dollars then they are alive.

I wonder what they do with them? It does seem odd if they are alive. I have read several reviews like this one:

"He also found Three large conch that he gave us and let us keep the shells (they kept the conch). After a couple hours snorkeling there we went to the sand dollar location where we got to snorkel for sand dollars. They were everywhere! I got like 20...my sister and brother got way more. They also got some neat looking shells, some sea biscuits, and the shell of a sea earchant." (assuming reviewer means "urchin", lol)

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/367720-freeport-bahamas-sand-dollar-cruise-awesome.html

I wonder what they do with them? It does seem odd if they are alive. I have read several reviews like this one:

"He also found Three large conch that he gave us and let us keep the shells (they kept the conch). After a couple hours snorkeling there we went to the sand dollar location where we got to snorkel for sand dollars. They were everywhere! I got like 20...my sister and brother got way more. They also got some neat looking shells, some sea biscuits, and the shell of a sea earchant." (assuming reviewer means "urchin", lol)

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/367720-freeport-bahamas-sand-dollar-cruise-awesome.html

I live at the beach and you can get sand dollars waist deep in the water they are alive. The ones that you find (like the shell stores) have been dried out and usually bleached. Sea biscuits are very close to sand dollars.

I am sure they took them but I am a scuba diver and have been taught not take things from the sea.

I got caught with brain coral that has washed upon the shore and was very dried out (obviously dead) the captain of the boat we were on in Freeport told me there was a huge fine for bringing it back to the states.

Sand dollars are alive when they are greenish and the back have hundreds of little 'feet' that are moving...you can't miss them. Dead are white or light cream color and brittle. They sell conch shells in straw markets or even by the pier oftentimes, also other shells, so I can't imagine what the difference would be as long as they are dead.

Wonder why this tour operator would encourage this by stopping to snorkel for them? (and it does seem like they would stink if you took them alive).

There is a tour operator here in our area that does the same thing. I guess they think they are plentiful (and they are now) but if you let every passenger take a few then they diminish quickly.

We did dive down and pick up a few beacuse they were huge - larger than your hand. But we let them stay in the ocean. Some passengers on the boat did take them and quickly found that they stained everything around them an icky brown color.

When you find them in the ocean they are brown and fuzzy and very much alive. They are not the dead, bleached white you find in a store.

I'm in the category of 'leave the there for everyone to enjoy'.

Archived