People that don't cruise or keep up with cruise boards are so funny.....

Christine in MO

On almost every cruise I've been on i have to inform someone that room service is free. Last cruise on Caribbean princess I made friends with two women. About the 3rd day one of them complained about having to get dressed to go to the Lido for her morning coffee fix. I asked her why she didnt have a pot sent by room service like I did?

Thats when she admitted that after 4 cruises she did not know it was free!:eek:

For the rest of the week I was explaining and showing them things they were not aware of. We will be meeting on Radiance of the Seas in February!:D

I had to explain to my adult daughter that the food was free on our upcoming cruise. She kept saying she wasn't sure what she was going to feed her son because he eats a little bit of food all day long. I kept telling her that there was plenty of food that she could feed him whenever he was hungry. Finally she said "But it is going to be SO expensive, maybe I should bring some snacks with us". I burst out laughing, because I didn't even think about her or anyone thinking that you had to pay for food onboard.

Not any funnier than the educated cruisers who ....KNOW EVERYTING....and rant and rave about it as if their ...experience...opinion...knowledge is the only thing.

You did mention some funny things though

A couple of years ago there was a poster from Canada (newfie-spomething) that was giving advise and she had NEVER even been on a cruise. ...Dennis

I love it when someone tells me they are going on a Cruise and I always ask which line/ship/ destination etc. and they have NO Idea. they might respond "Oh, my DH booked everything, I just show up"! I'm always amazed......though, sometimes that is my own Husbands response.

I can't help but Research Everything for my Crusie!

I had someone (who said they would NEVER go on a cruise) once tell me that if there is bad weather in the Bahamas, that the ship would go to Alaska instead, and I wouldn't know until after I bored the ship, as that is what happened to her friend.

I really don't think you should knock other's way of doing things- you may be surprised how much fun you can have when you don't know what's about to happen. I see my vacations as a vacation and adventure, not a test that I have to study and do research for. I had no clue what ship I was sailing on my first two cruises. Just that it was the Carnival ship leaving from San Diego. I didn't know how many pools it had or even what ports it went to until I filled out my Fun Pass info two days before leaving. When I go on vacations I don't like to plan ahead... just go with the flow and figure out what to do once I get there.

My Dad is a big vacation researcher and I hated that growing up since we never did anything "off the beaten path" since we always just did what the travel books said to do. So I vowed to be more open when I travel and find adventure in not knowing what was about to come.

And it honestly would never cross my mind to go to a board like this before cruising. I didn't even know it existed until a friend was trying to win a free cruise on it. And even then I didn't ever have a desire to post until I couldn't find any answers as to whether the Splendor cruise was going to get canceled and figured this would be a hot bed for rumors. Most people I know wouldn't come to a cruise board before cruising. They'll ask friends and family who have cruised for advice (this is how I knew how much alcohol and pop I could bring).

And for the record- No. I have no idea where my next cruise goes and since I can't read my siggy while typing this I can't even remember what ship it's on. And just realized I don't even know how long it is! Just that is leaves from the LA port on April 1st and I have a small interior room that I want to upgrade.

Dont even get me started on this. Some guy married my sister very suddenly who is booked ES with me on multiple cruises. I invited him to go in the same cabin. He wants his own cabin. Trying to explain to him I would have to pay 200% of the rate, for the whole cruise which includes food and events, he gets a glazed look. He finally told me sunday if the cabin is the same, then they arent going .. and Im stuck now with a cabin, I cant add someone (no name changes) and cant cancel without penalty, cant downgrade to a cheaper 1A (which I could have booked at 150% in the first place).

He offers no sympathy, and probably thinks its like cancelling a hotel room. He clearly doesnt get it... and doesnt care how much I lose.

People will tell me to just take someone else .. they assume I dont know the options and start suggesting options .. and you cant explain all the ES rules to anyone .. their eyes glaze over too. None of my friends get why Im upset that he decided "they" arent going.

Boy to I sympathize. // Although it was a land trip rather than cruise where I've gotten burned. I regularly vacation with my mom and dad, brother and his family, and this works great for my husband, son, and I. I invited my aunt and uncle, but won't again. // An uncle told me he'd really like to travel with all of us to the Canadian Rockies and was there anyway that I could fit them in. (He told me exact dates that would work for him and I booked a bigger place than I would have otherwise, picked dates that would work for him rather than our first choice, gave him exact costs splitting things up and got his agreement, had a great mini master planned for them, sent pictures, etc.) Did all this planning five months out. Then three weeks before the trip, he asked what the dates were, said that wouldn't work for him, and could we change them. I don't think so -- nine others who had already gotten air, no availability at this late point for a different week, people already had scheduled time off of work for vacation. Anyway, I got stuck with paying his part, as they didn't show. He and my aunt are such dear people, but so undependable. After that I was always very vague about any vacation plans. Getting burned once is enough.

Archived