Negotiate Upgrade?

roveer

I think I've read before that NCL really doesn't negotiate when it comes to upgrades. I emailed my TA this morning asking him to check the next higher stateroom availability on our upcoming (this weekend) cruise out of NYC. They had availability (1 room), and gave a price. I countered at 75% of what they were asking for and got a NO. They said they had 25 other people to call. I told my TA to let them know the offer is on the table up to sailing time. Keep in mind this is the A1 suite so as you can imagine the dollars are pretty high.

What are the chances that they will actually call us back and accept my offer?

What do they do with unsold rooms that the other passengers are not willing to pay the upgrade fee for? Keep in Mind this is the biggest stateroom on the boat. Not just a regular cabin upgrade.

This ought to be interesting especially considering that there is a chance to get in that room. :eek:

I'll keep you posted.

I think I've read before that NCL really doesn't negotiate when it comes to upgrades. I emailed my TA this morning asking him to check the next higher stateroom availability on our upcoming (this weekend) cruise out of NYC. They had availability (1 room), and gave a price. I countered at 75% of what they were asking for and got a NO. They said they had 25 other people to call. I told my TA to let them know the offer is on the table up to sailing time. Keep in mind this is the A1 suite so as you can imagine the dollars are pretty high.

What are the chances that they will actually call us back and accept my offer?

What do they do with unsold rooms that the other passengers are not willing to pay the upgrade fee for? Keep in Mind this is the biggest stateroom on the boat. Not just a regular cabin upgrade.

This ought to be interesting especially considering that there is a chance to get in that room. :eek:

I'll keep you posted.

The chances of NCL calling you back are slim and none. If you wanted the upgrade you should have excepted their offer.

Enjoy

The chances of NCL calling you back are slim and none. If you wanted the upgrade you should have excepted their offer.

Enjoy

You are looking at it all wrong. This is a market driven commodity. I would very much like the room, but for my younger family, the price that is acceptable for me is the price I offered. If it does not happen I'll be very happy in the room I've booked. NCL has the opportunity to make additional revenue if they have no takers at their price.

What I'm curious about is whether the offer they made was the list price or was some slight discount to begin with. Thanks!

It's very much discounted. I've been tracking this room since I booked the A3. It's come down 61% since I started looking. Still out of my price range at that price, but if they don't have any takers in this economy I'd love to take lots of pictures and videos to share on CC :rolleyes:

If you have an A3 already, you're hopefully in the list of 25 people they're calling. I'm interested to see how it turns out for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

At 14k even with 25 people I don't know how many are going to jump at it. We'll see what happens, but I have to say I do love the horse trading aspect. I love to haggle. If someone does scoop it up, I hope they have a great cruise. If it's me, than I'm keeping my mouth shut untill we get on board. My kids will go bonkers. I'm sure my wife won't mind either. Daddy is always doing something crazy... It has been a goal of mine to cruise with my own private hot tub. NCL's A1's are quite a bit more, but again, we are really happy to be sailing in the A3. Right now my hot tub is a bath tub with a window. :D

At 14k even with 25 people I don't know how many are going to jump at it. We'll see what happens, but I have to say I do love the horse trading aspect. I love to haggle. If someone does scoop it up, I hope they have a great cruise. If it's me, than I'm keeping my mouth shut untill we get on board. My kids will go bonkers. I'm sure my wife won't mind either. Daddy is always doing something crazy... It has been a goal of mine to cruise with my own private hot tub. NCL's A1's are quite a bit more, but again, we are really happy to be sailing in the A3. Right now my hot tub is a bath tub with a window. :D

Too bad you couldn't change cruise dates..........I just checked my TA's site for 6 adults in a garden villa for the 12/12 JEWEL cruise and the total price is .........$10,572.56, includes free travel insurance, OBC, and wine. Now if I could only find 4 friends who could get away that week to cruise with us....:rolleyes:

Too bad you couldn't change cruise dates..........I just checked my TA's site for 6 adults in a garden villa for the 12/12 JEWEL cruise and the total price is .........$10,572.56, includes free travel insurance, OBC, and wine. Now if I could only find 4 friends who could get away that week to cruise with us....:rolleyes:

Wow!!! I had not seen A1's at that price. If I were cruising then I think I'd have to jump on that bad boy! You might want to go out and start scouting to get a few bodies to fill up those rooms. Of course once someone cruises at this level I don't know if they can ever come down again. We've done 2 cruises in the Walt Disney Suite on DCL so I've got the bug.

Now that I see that NCL will fill those rooms more cheaply I'm hoping they will take my offer if they can't get another taker at their price. Even know it's a holiday week, it's not like they pay more to their staff because of it.

Wow!!! I had not seen A1's at that price. If I were cruising then I think I'd have to jump on that bad boy! You might want to go out and start scouting to get a few bodies to fill up those rooms. Of course once someone cruises at this level I don't know if they can ever come down again. We've done 2 cruises in the Walt Disney Suite on DCL so I've got the bug.

Now that I see that NCL will fill those rooms more cheaply I'm hoping they will take my offer if they can't get another taker at their price. Even know it's a holiday week, it's not like they pay more to their staff because of it.

That is the cheapest I've ever seen a garden villa...

I wish someone here on CC would book it, just so I can possibly get a tour of it....:D

We've cruised in suites before and still never spent much time in the actual cabin, so I doubt it would be any different.....but since we haven't had the opportunity to try it I can't say for certain.

Until then we are happy in our cozy inside cabins...:)

I hope you get the villa. Just had to let you know, on the Nov. 2008 Gem Med. cruise, we were upsold to an AD for a very small amount and the villa was empty! They had the suite captain's party in there. It was great for us to view the whole place and dream! We sailed with many empty cabins that trip.They stopped in Malta and let people on and some of the crew had family on also.

I hope you get the villa. Just had to let you know, on the Nov. 2008 Gem Med. cruise, we were upsold to an AD for a very small amount and the villa was empty! They had the suite captain's party in there. It was great for us to view the whole place and dream! We sailed with many empty cabins that trip.They stopped in Malta and let people on and some of the crew had family on also.

I am surprised that they sail with those rooms empty. You would think they would negotiate and get some revenue. Must be they have their bottom line must get price for the room otherwise they will leave it empty. Wonder what happens to the staff that services the room? Can't imagine they are paid less, but they get a week without having guests (in that room) to take care of and they don't get the tips.

I've read over the years that they have all sorts of last minute discounts to fill rooms. I remember reading on another board about another line that when they were done doing upgrades, revenue and not, that they opened up the cruise to military, FL residents (in the case of the cruise I was going on), and the company family. You know they want a full ship so the other revenue generators don't suffer. Even if you are not making as much money on the stateroom. From what I read, it sounded like they were always successful. Maybe the economy has changed so much that this just isn't the case any longer.

I am surprised that they sail with those rooms empty. You would think they would negotiate and get some revenue. Must be they have their bottom line must get price for the room otherwise they will leave it empty. Wonder what happens to the staff that services the room? Can't imagine they are paid less, but they get a week without having guests (in that room) to take care of and they don't get the tips.

I've read over the years that they have all sorts of last minute discounts to fill rooms. I remember reading on another board about another line that when they were done doing upgrades, revenue and not, that they opened up the cruise to military, FL residents (in the case of the cruise I was going on), and the company family. You know they want a full ship so the other revenue generators don't suffer. Even if you are not making as much money on the stateroom. From what I read, it sounded like they were always successful. Maybe the economy has changed so much that this just isn't the case any longer.

I've cruised a couple of times, once on the STAR and once on the DAWN where at least one of the garden villas was never sold. So they do have their bottom line to watch.

We booked two villas and was hoping for an upsell to the GV. Two weeks out a couple with five children booked the villa. (Pearl)

On Gem we had an A3 and one of the villas was empty. They offered it as an upsell for an additonal 13K over what we had already paid.They would not budge on the price. It was a 15 night cruise. It went empty. One couple complained to everyone they could think of about their suite thinking they would be offered a deal on the A1, nope 13K..

I've cruised a couple of times, once on the STAR and once on the DAWN where at least one of the garden villas was never sold. So they do have their bottom line to watch.

Rooms are pretty much a fixed cost, so getting almost anything for them improves the bottom line. That's why priceline exists to fill hotels. The balance they have is with "devaluing" the rooms in the eyes of the market. Having said that, I would expect that upgrading folks for low/no cost is great for business. The customers come in already happy. :)

We've been on several sailings where the A1 was empty and cocktail parties hosted by the captain were held there. The same staff that services the GV's also services other suites as well (butlers and cabin stewards). We've been on one cruise where the A1 was given as a prize for a raffle. I'd be willing to bet that there's a minimum $$ amount that they want for the A1's and if they can't generate that amount through an outright sale or upsell, it goes empty.....

We've been on several sailings where the A1 was empty and cocktail parties hosted by the captain were held there. The same staff that services the GV's also services other suites as well (butlers and cabin stewards). We've been on one cruise where the A1 was given as a prize for a raffle. I'd be willing to bet that there's a minimum $$ amount that they want for the A1's and if they can't generate that amount through an outright sale or upsell, it goes empty.....

Well, I came within 1,400 of that price so I guess it will go empty if they don't find someone to pay the full 5.4k they were looking for. I understand protecting the "value" of the room in the industry, but times have changed. And the room stewards while they do service other rooms will miss out on a tip for the largest room on the boat. I would imagine that adds up week after week. Even with the, don't say it, "service charge" I would expect these suites (as I have been told) usually tip in addition to that dreaded "other thing"

The best last-minute deal we have enjoyed was on Star, Panama Canal Pacific-to-Atlantic, in October. The reason for such pressure to fill as many rooms as possible became clearer when we learned the ship paid $360,000 toll through the canal based not on the number of passengers or the size of the ship but on the number of passenger spaces, empty or full. About a third of what we paid for the room was our share of the canal toll.

You are looking at it all wrong. This is a market driven commodity. I would very much like the room, but for my younger family, the price that is acceptable for me is the price I offered. If it does not happen I'll be very happy in the room I've booked. NCL has the opportunity to make additional revenue if they have no takers at their price.

You misunderstood some posts. NCL will lose money on your offer. They will surely rent the cabin at their price. Unfortunately they dont rent cabins like an auction otherwise they would not be in business. The upgrades are always on their terms.

If it is 12 hours before sailing and still not sold, you still could not get the room. $1,400 is a huge under sell. Even if it is an upsell for someone, it will be much closer to original price. For example if one day before sailing, travel agents could be authorized to offer upgrades $800 or more than you offered.

Remember that cruise lines are in business to make money and suites usually always sell out.

You misunderstood some posts. NCL will lose money on your offer. They will surely rent the cabin at their price. Unfortunately they dont rent cabins like an auction otherwise they would not be in business. The upgrades are always on their terms.

If it is 12 hours before sailing and still not sold, you still could not get the room. $1,400 is a huge under sell. Even if it is an upsell for someone, it will be much closer to original price. For example if one day before sailing, travel agents could be authorized to offer upgrades $800 or more than you offered.

Remember that cruise lines are in business to make money and suites usually always sell out.

Not sure I understand your post. Another CC user posted above that the same room with the same number of people is pricing for 3k less than they are asking currently for a December sailing. Why are they losing money? I might agree if I had not come across this information. If they are in fact trying to protect their price in the industry by letting rooms go unfilled (or host parties), generating no revenue for that space. Than I think they should take a look at the economy.

Not sure I understand your post. Another CC user posted above that the same room with the same number of people is pricing for 3k less than they are asking currently for a December sailing. Why are they losing money? I might agree if I had not come across this information. If they are in fact trying to protect their price in the industry by letting rooms go unfilled (or host parties), generating no revenue for that space. Than I think they should take a look at the economy.

I tried to look for the actual price they are asking for the GV for your sailing but couldn't get it to price.. But it's all about supply and demand - you are sailing a holiday week and NCL thinks they can still fill the room. We booked the GV last Christmas less than a month before sailing at the listed price of $40,000 (less our CAS comp of course ;)) and were happy to get it! If it's still open they have already discounted it I am sure (for our sailing in December it has already dropped by almost half since I first started looking in Sept.). There are people employed by NCL whose entire living is based on market demand and pricing. As the sailing gets even closer, they will make adjustments as needed, calling people on their upsell list if need be. There is also the question of preserving the integrity of the suite. Sometimes they

would rather let it go empty than to sell it too cheap. And even in this economy, there are still plenty of people with

money to spend. All I can tell you is to keep closely monitoring the price up until sailing.

Robin

Meaning they can simply sell the room for the asking price or much more than you offered. Thus if they sold it to you, they would lose $1400. That is all I meant.

I wish things were different for the consumer but unless the whole ship was empty and it was hours before sailing I could see them selling a suite for that much less.

I am sailing Epic next month. There are suites a few classes above mine. But they will not offer an upsell because they will be able to sell them at full price.

Understood. I guess I'm a little ticked because I know if there are no takers they will ignore my offer and let the room go empty because of their tables and charts. They probably don't even have a process in place to accept "offers" like mine and the agent that spoke with my TA has moved on. I'll probably inquire at the port on Sunday and then drop it. Gotta get my head in a good place to enjoy the cruise.

If it's still open at the port, they probably won't sell it, or even show it as available. By that point they're more likely to use it as a Bingo prize. But if they still had 25 people on the list, odds are that someone will take it at their offered price since it's usually a very good deal over the normal rate.

Archived