soda card vs buying cans of soda as you go

moorlyn

As we have discussed before, this is an overly complicated way to look at it. One can of soda is 12 oz and costs $2.24. That means soda costs about $0.187 per ounce. That means, by volume, you have to drink $6.90 / $0.197 or about 36.9 oz. to break even by volume. The problem is, not every container is the same, so it is really cumbersome to keep track of. The standard stemmed bar glass holds about 6 - 8 oz so you would have to drink 5-7 glasses. Some bars give you tumblers that hold 10 oz or so meaning 4 would get you there. If you use your insulated glass, which holds 20 oz [i measured] you get there with 2. If you bring your own container, you might get there with one.

But that really misses the point. If you really want to know whether you are better off with the card, the only real question to ask yourself is how many cans you are likely to buy in the absence of the card. If it is three or fewer, stick to cans.

So logical, so Dennis............so accurate! :)

I live on Diet Coke. I drink 5 to 6 glasses at dinner alone even with a glass of wine. I need at least 2 glasses with lunch and I'm drinking several during the day and evening. My DH once counted 16 glasses of Diet Coke in one day.

To be honest, I have a condition that makes it necessary for me to have a lot of liquid with my meals as well as having to keep my mouth from getting dry. For some reason it's a lot easier to have them deliver several glasses of Diet Coke at a time than to keep the water glass filled. I like the Coke better anyway.

They lose money on me.

I always thought that soda doesn't quench thirst, but actually makes you thirstier?

I also understand that diet or regular Coke is one thing people should stop drinking if they want to lose weight, since it has sodium and makes you retain water.

I'm a water drinker, other than that it's a couple cups of coffee in the morning and an occasional glass of wine, more wine when we cruise :)

I'd not worry about them losing any money on you, though, I've read that a glass of fountain soda is around .02 cents. So, even with your 16 glasses a day (:eek:) it's only costing the ship .32 cents a day for your habit.

Archived