Viking Grand European

pmm0724

I'm just back from this cruise and it was wonderful. Viking did a spectacular job on all fronts. Food was outstanding. Any questions, let me know.

Hi,

We are planning to book this cruise next September . Been researching and have our choices down to Viking and Vantage. We are leaning more towards Viking. Good to hear you were happy with them.

* On the tours, how large were the groups ?

*Which boat were you on ?

* We are looking at Cat. B for our cabin..any comments on them ?

* Did you use Viking's air package or book your own ?

Can't think of anything else right now..LOL

Thanks for any info.:)

Terry

Hi,

We are planning to book this cruise next September . Been researching and have our choices down to Viking and Vantage. We are leaning more towards Viking. Good to hear you were happy with them.

* On the tours, how large were the groups ?

They had multiple buses and guides with audio receivers. Buses were brand new and tours were managed very well.

*Which boat were you on ?

Legend

* We are looking at Cat. B for our cabin..any comments on them ?

I had a single cabin, so can't comment.

* Did you use Viking's air package or book your own ?

I booked my own air and arrived a day early

Can't think of anything else right now..LOL

Thanks for any info.:)

Terry

Hope this helps.

We also just returned from this trip with Viking and were very satisfied. We were on the Viking Pride and had a room on the main deck. I am told that category A and B rooms are exactly the same just different decks. The tours were very well managed. You will love this itenerary.

Hi pmm0724 and mummollr

Glad your trips were so wonderful and satisfying.

We are doing this cruise (Budapest to Amsterdam) in May 2011. Already booked.

Which way did you go? Am trying to research what is available in all the towns along the way. Can you tell me how long you were docked in each town, when/ how long were the tours and how much free time did you have to roam around ?

thanks

Thanks pmm0724 & mummollr. :)

It's good to hear positive remarks. I am pretty sure we will be booking with Viking. There are a few other 'cruise' couples we know that are planning to book with us. We should have a nice group doing this cruise. I'll see if anyone else has questions and direct them here.

Thanks...Terry:D

Hi pmm0724 and mummollr

Glad your trips were so wonderful and satisfying.

We are doing this cruise (Budapest to Amsterdam) in May 2011. Already booked.

Which way did you go? Am trying to research what is available in all the towns along the way. Can you tell me how long you were docked in each town, when/ how long were the tours and how much free time did you have to roam around ?

thanks

I went Budapest to Amsterdam. Each town was different for docking time and tour time. Most tours were no more than a couple of hours with around 30 minutes free time, but some of the optional tours lasted all day. I never heard anyone complain about not having enough time to shop, but I am not a shopper so can't really answer this one.

On some walking tours they included a leisure group for those who had difficulty walking, so that stairs and steep climbs could be avoided. This allowed the others not to be held up by slow folks.

As I said, I found Viking well organized.

We went from Budapest to Amsterdam. I think a few of the stops coming the other way are different only in the smaller towns. Either way you hit the big cities. The guides are so informative and interesting you won't want to stop but given ample time on your own to shop (and I did!) or try the sausages, sacher torte and strudels as well as the different brauhaus beers. If you choose to leave your group you just need to say that you are going off on your own. The crew on the ship can recommend things to do on your own. You will have a wonderful time.

If you choose to leave your group you just need to say that you are going off on your own. The crew on the ship can recommend things to do on your own. You will have a wonderful time.

That's the part I wanted to ask and you anwered it. We like to explore a bit on our own and if the group is large and/or slow it is good to know that you can just go do your own thing.

I like to research the places we visit and then decide what and how long to spend there. Thank you for this input.

How were the 'formal' visits in the larger cities such as Vienna during the evening? I hope we don't have to bring much in the way of formal clothing such as suits and dresses.

LairBear,

Leave the suit and fancy wear home. The concert in Vienna is in a beautiful old building. The venue for the concert itself is very very crowded and warm. If you plan on dinner out, you might need a jacket. We have been on 13 river cruises and not really needed suit or dressy clothes. Can't speak for requirements on Premicon Queen or Tauck. Weight restrictions really can limit what you bring. Pat

PS Thanks for you wonderful walks, especialy in Brugge.

Archived