Celebrity Summit December 11-18 Shore excursion help?

wakar13

First time ever and also a honeymoon for us. This is a very port intensive itinerary with 1 at-sea day. I figured I will post some questions knowing that there is no one answer.

USVI, St. KItts, DOminica, Grenada, Tobago

5 islands - 2 shore excursions (maybe 3 but tough financially) and spend the other 3 islands as stopovers for some local markets or beach visit.

- Which island is a dont miss for a shore excursion?

We are getting married on 12/4 and leaving within a week so not much time to research - if we wanted to do simple beach afternoon, which islands are safest/fastest to get to a beach and relax for a couple of hours?

Best islands for markets? Read about Spice markets in Grenada but wanted to poll all the helpful experts here.

Thank you all for your help.

An excursion is a must for Dominica. Have you checked out the ports of call forum for the Caribbean? I've done Levi(Bumpiing Tours), Reyno, and Antours on Dominica - they were all great. Don't book through the ship but do book privately. I'm sure you'd like Levi's Roseau Valley Tour. You will pay $40-50 + tip.

First time ever and also a honeymoon for us. This is a very port intensive itinerary with 1 at-sea day. I figured I will post some questions knowing that there is no one answer.

USVI, St. KItts, DOminica, Grenada, Tobago

5 islands - 2 shore excursions (maybe 3 but tough financially) and spend the other 3 islands as stopovers for some local markets or beach visit.

- Which island is a dont miss for a shore excursion?

We are getting married on 12/4 and leaving within a week so not much time to research - if we wanted to do simple beach afternoon, which islands are safest/fastest to get to a beach and relax for a couple of hours?

Best islands for markets? Read about Spice markets in Grenada but wanted to poll all the helpful experts here.

Thank you all for your help.

If you've costed your spending money at ship's excursion prices, you can comfortably fit in a tour, followed bytime at a beach near the ship, at all of the ports for the same money or less by hiring a taxi or van from the quayside. Drivers can replicate ships' road tours or suggest alternatives & variations. Sharing with others on your ship is the norm, it will cost you between $15 and $30 pp at each port, drivers are friendly & reliable, they know their island & they know the importance of "back on board" time. Much more fun, less regimented, and way more flexible than ships' road tours. And no need for research - use the ship's excursions flyers for your inspiration.

Activities like scuba, snorkelling, river-tubing etc, can rarely be fixed up on-the-fly. So book ahead, either privately or through the ship.

On your specific ports-of-call:

US Virgin Islands - sorry, can't help

St Kitts - shore-side you have two decent alternatives. According to those who've taken it, the Sugar Plantation train is great fun. The tour circles the island, but only about 30-40% of the route is by train, the rest is by van. And it's expensive - it can only be booked on a ship's excursion, your ship block-books the entire train. Or you can follow the same circular route all by taxi or van hired at the pier. The views & sights are the same.

I'm not sure there's even one decent beach on the island.

If you want to go sailing at any island, I'd be inclined to choose this one.

Dominica - the town is grubby & uninviting. Consider a van tour into the rainforest/waterfalls. Or a beach.

Grenada - this is a tough one, cos there's three choices that stand out - but you can really only fit in two, so perm any two from three.

The spice market is quite close to the ship, thus would have been an ideal location to end the day. But you really need to see it in the morning.

It's level ground between ship & spice market, but most of this pleasant & attractive town is very hilly.

You can take a van tour up into the rainforest/waterfall, see the spices growing, take a spice-stop or two, then return via Fort St George, overlooking the town & your ship.

From the fort, get the driver to drop you at Grande Anse beach. From here its a 10/15min $6 water-taxi back to your ship.

Or visit the spice market early. Then back to the pier for a taxi or van tour, or take the water taxi both ways to the beach.

Tobago - beautiful little island, very laid-back, but not a lot in the way of sights. But a brief taxi or van tour to Plymouth, then on to a choice of beaches will cost only about $15pp going, & mebbe $5-$10pp back to the ship.

John Bull

Here are my opinions:

USVI - just walk around. No shore ex needed.

St. KItts - I'm going to this port for the first time next year, but from what I've read up on it, a shore ex isn't needed.

Dominica - totally a shore ex is needed. I recommend the river tubing. OMG - the best shore ex I've ever taken!

Grenada - definitely a shore ex needed. There is a shopping area close by, but in order to see the island, you need a shore ex. I've heard the beaches there are lovely though.

Tobago - I've never been here before so I can't speak to it.

Congratulations on your marriage!

Archived