Legit Cabs...

CruisinMatt

Hi Matt,

We were in St. Thomas on Christmas Day and did a daysail with the Alaunt. I had also read the posts warning about these unlicensed cabs. Sure enough, the first guy we came to didn't have any kind of license hanging on his mirror, no special license tag. He offered to take us back to port and I just remembered reading the warning post. I asked to see his license and he hesitantly admitted that he didn't have one and "just wanted to make a few bucks today." He got pretty mad when we wouldn't ride with him. It gave me the creeps and we walked on until a cab with a license hanging from his rear view mirror came along (I think he also had a special license tag).

Later I was so thankful for these boards - who knows what might have happened to my family?

Keep your eye out, listen to your gut, and ask to see their license. Real cab drivers are NOT offended by that. Good luck!

Hello Matt,

Licensed taxi vehicles are labeled with: a taxi placard or dome light on the roof, license plates that indicate Taxi status, On Duty/Off Duty sign in the window of the vehicle and a sign, usually on the fender, indicating passenger capacity. The drivers personal identification/taxi license should be on the vehicles dash board, windshield, hanging around the mirror - somewhere in very plain sight.

Although rates are standardized it is strongly recommended that you speak to the driver and agree to your total rate (for you, your group, your luggage, waiting, tour) before boarding the taxi. It is wise to know what the standard rates so you do not get swindled by dishonest drivers, of which there are a few.

Gypsy taxis are not common at the Airport or the Cruise Ship docks. They are usually outside grocery stores where residents might use them, or outside bars, restaurants at night. They might drive around resort areas but would not be right outside the lobby like the licensed taxis are.

--Islander

Archived