Day Sail newbie - a few questions

stuffic

First of all, forgive my ignorance. I'm never heard of this type of excursion, so I have questions...

1. Do you have to know how to swim to go on one? (I know it helps but is it required)

2. Do you have to know how to snorkel already or can you 'give it a try'?

3. Do they all serve alcoholic beverages?

4. Do they all serve lunch?

5. Are any under $50?

6. Are any under 3 hours?

I don't swim or snorkel, but from what I've read these day sails seem like fun. (I especially like the booze and food part). Because I don't swim, I would prefer to NOT spend $100pp.

Thanks for your help.

Hi

No

No

Yes

No, but many do

No $80 for a half day is about the best you can find and no lunch

I don't think so

In my opinion the $100 is worth the experience and there is really no swimming. The sailing, the fun, the snorkeling, the drinks and the lunch make it a worth while experience if you can afford it.

You wear vests in the water so you are actually floating-they will also dingy you in to beaches if you don't want to swim or get wet.

Even the 4 hour one would be a lot of fun to give it a try

Hey Stuffic!

DH and I have confirmed with Rumbaba. I spoke with Karen yesterday. We're doing the half-day sail for $80 pp. (9 a.m. - 1 p.m.).

As she explained, she will serve us a light breakfast, juice and muffins, sail out to a beautiful and calm spot for snorkeling, snorkel for about 1 hour, then serve lunch on the way back--something like chicken wraps and pasta salad. She didn't mention liquor, but from what I understand most do serve it - open bar style.

I've never done this type of excursion before either, but boy it sure does sound good! Tried to in Grand Cayman, but the water was too rough. I love to snorkel and have done it walking from the beach, but wanted to try it from a boat this time.

I'm not the greatest of swimmers and will most likely wear a vest. Try it with us!

Call Karen or email at Rumbaba - she's very pleasant and will answer any other questions you have, I'm sure.

340-690-1659

www.rumbabacharters.com

I did High Pockets and they charge 115 PP cash. It was worth the extra money aand very professional capatin Kathleen and mate Bill. I am not a swimmer but snorkeled with Bill the mate at my side. The food was gourmet and drink whatever you want. The boat is a 42' sailboat. Check out the website.

two things I would say.. 1) If you've never snorkeled you really should try it. Most of these crews are very experienced with newbies and are incredibly patient and encouraging. In salt water you are so bouyant that you really don't need to be an expert swimmer at all.. If you can dog paddle you'll do fine. They will give you a flotation vest as well. Give it a try.

2) It is customary to tip the crew (as a whole) 10-15% They won't often mention the subject of tips but it is greatly appreciated and I'm willing to bet that you will have a wonderful time and feel it only appropriate to do so. Typically the boat will have a first mate that you would give this to, or failing that,you can give it to the captain and they will see that it is distributed. Obviously they also appreciate hearing from you if you had a good time and they certainly appreciate positive feedback here on the boards when you return, as well.

We've just come back from a cruise and booked with High Pockets. Neither of us are competent swimmers but we had a fabulous time with Kathleen and her mate Bill. Both are so friendly and funny and were very tolerant of our incompetance!!!! We also met some really interesting people on the boat (they try to book for six people for each day) and they had different levels of expertise. I'd definately recommend Capt. Kathleen to you - it is money well spent and was one of the highlights of our weeks cruise.

We just did this in St. Thomas with Interlinesail.com they were excellent.

Check out their web site, nice boat, good food open bar, plenty of soda and

water too. Will teach you to snorkel and have nice equipment. Also went

sailing for awhile, so relaxing. They take up to 6 people on boat. Tell them

Linda and Bill recommended them. Captain Omar Van Rooyen and Larry did

an excellent job.

First of all, forgive my ignorance. I'm never heard of this type of excursion, so I have questions...

1. Do you have to know how to swim to go on one? (I know it helps but is it required)

2. Do you have to know how to snorkel already or can you 'give it a try'?

3. Do they all serve alcoholic beverages?

4. Do they all serve lunch?

5. Are any under $50?

6. Are any under 3 hours?

I don't swim or snorkel, but from what I've read these day sails seem like fun. (I especially like the booze and food part). Because I don't swim, I would prefer to NOT spend $100pp.

Thanks for your help.

I see that you are going to be sailing on an RCCL ship? RCCL does offer a half-day sailing on a 6-pack sloop for, I believe, $50 USD. (price can vary). It's called 'Sailing & snorkeling to Buck Island', or something like that. Perhaps that might be appropriate for you.

Best,

jkt

We went on the Jester last month and had an unforgettable day! I'm not sure if Captain Jim offers a 1/2 day trip or not, but it would be worth emailing him to find out. (jim@sailjester.com). We paid $120 pp for four of us, but had the boat to ourselves all day! Enjoy!

Archived