Whale Watching In Cabo San Lucas -need Recommendations

pd4st

Hi everyone,

We're doing the Mexican Riviera on March 21st on the Star. Very excited! We want to do some whale watching at Cabo San Lucas and wonder if anyone can make recommendations for tour operators. The ship offers an excursion that sounds more like a party boat with a secondary goal of seeing whales. Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

pd4st

We took Carnival Pride whalewatching tour last Feb and it was not a party cruise. Check all the offerings again. Should not say combined snorkeling cruise. If not, there are tons of vendors at dock when you land. There are several smaller boats that have whalewatching. Just make sure of what you are getting re: how long, what price is. restroom on board? Most should be $40 or less for about 2-3 hrs. We went right outside the harbor and saw many humpbacks.

I'm not sure but I think the main whale watching tour stops mid march. I have reservations for the 16th on Cabo Rey through the ship. I believe at some point soon after that, the Cabo Rey does snorkle/sightseeing excursions which could include some whale sitings for any stragglers yet to leave for Alaska.

There is an open bar onboard though. Also a bathroom.....

by March, whale season will have moved north to Alaska. however, the CSL ww tour was not a "party" boat - live narrator w/microphone who moved around the vessel to instruct all on where to look, etc. Our vessel was never in a position of "corraling" the whales, but we sadly saw some that were. There was an open bar w/servers, as well, chips 'n salsa. I am a firm believer in the organized ship tours, tho I readily admit they can be a bit more pricey than doin-it-yourself. Just depends on the port, timing, your goals. We saw so many whales from our balcony whilst cruising and many more whilst on other tours - rarely do they breech which is what all are looking for in order to get that perfect pix:) The truth is I'm a nature lover and prefer to see animals in their natural state w/o the harassment to "chase" them in order to "see" them. I don't appreciate organized dolphin experiences nor do I frequent SeaWorld(s).... dolphins are cursed with what looks like a smile..it's not. We must protect our seas, all ways and always.

Hi and thanks to you all for the good info/advice. We recently read that this season there seems to be more whales in the Baja compared to previous seasons (Washington Post this past Sunday) so I'm sure we'll see some exciting wildlife from our balcony. We will probably go out on some type of boat (stock up on the Dramamine) and I'm sure we'll enjoy whatever we do.

Thanks again

pd4st

• 2 weeks later...

last week we took Princess' tour for whale watching. we only saw one whale and they didn't try to hard to find another. the Pirate ship tour got to see the same whale for the same about of time but got to do their fun stuff too. so I would do that one next time.

Archived