when to buy trip insurance

scante

Hello, This is my first cruise I have booked that I didn't do at last minute. I paid deposit on 10/26/10 my final payment is due 1/10/11. Is there a limit to when I can get insurance? Can I wait till final payment. I usually go to insuremytrip dot com.

Thx

You can purchase trip insurance at any time. I usually wait until final payment. If you have a pre-existing condition that might require you to cancel your cruise, then usually you have to buy the insurance within a few days of paying your deposit. However, if you are not worried about a pre-existing condition, then there is no reason to purchase insurance until you make final payment, since you can cancel without penalty prior to that time. Once you accept the insurance the premium is non-refundable, since the policy provided you with protection, whether you needed it or not.

If you or anyone traveling with you, or even if a member of your immediate family has pre-existing conditions you needed to purchase insurance 10 to 14 days within booking your cruise. If there are no pre-existings, then you can purchase insurance by final payment day. You can even purchase some insurance 24 hours before departure, but I wouldn't wait that long.

While you can purchase the insurance up until relatively close to the time you cruise, if you have anyone with a pre-existing condition, you need to purchase it during a very narrow window (7-14 days). I now have a pre-existing condition and I purchased it 3 days after the deposit (through Trip Assure). There are many companies that offer trip insurance. Do a comparison based on your needs. Even with my age (58) and a pre-existing condition my insurance was not that expensive. Saves me some worry.

While you can purchase the insurance up until relatively close to the time you cruise, if you have anyone with a pre-existing condition, you need to purchase it during a very narrow window (7-14 days).

Several well known companies offer the pre-existing condition waiver at any time up until the final payment date for the cruise.

Archived