Review: Ruby Princess 7 Nov 2010 Part Deux!

W5KAP

Sailed from St Maarten and headed to St Thomas. As we backed in to the pier we could tell it had rained and rained hard. As it turns out, it was mostly on the Northern side of the island (Windward) but it really screwed up the water and even Meagans Bay was closed. No snorkeling trips etc. We caught a taxi tour (20 people) and for $25 we set out to see most of the island. Much prettier than St Maarten in our minds. And much cleaner. The tour took us to the Great house with a view to die for and around the island. My lovely wife coerced the drived into stopping at the St Thomas Dairy (Udderly Deicious) very near Meagans bay. These are the best milk shakes you have ever had. A bit of booze like Baileys Irish Cream, Amoretto etc made them beyond good. All the people on the tour were happy we stopped. So back to the ship we go!

Grand Turk - wow, tiny island but hey, it had sun, beach and booze!! The weather finally became what it should have been all along. Being of the over 30 set (OK most of us were over 60) we bypassed Margaritaville in favor of Jack's Shack a little bit further down the lovely beach. Did some snorkeling but it is just as sandy bottom there and not much to see. Could not get anyone to swim out to the 8000 foot drop off about 100 yards off shore. If you stand on the stern of the ship, you are in around 8000 feet of water while the bow is in maybe 20 feet. Truly remarkable. Jack's Shack isn't much but Jack and Island Nurse run a great place. Drinks are strong and reasonably priced as is the snorkel gear ($12). We had a ball. amke sure to Pet Topher if you can catch him!

Ships Dining - We had the early seating in the Boticelli dining room. Our runner was Sunny and the waiter was Savio. Both did an excellent job. They even got some Cream of Broccoli soup made at the request of my better half. Never, ever saw the head Waiter or the Maitre' Di. Kind of odd though so we didn't feel the need to tip them beyond the normal. The food was very, very good. I still believe Carinval's is better but this wa very tasty. One word about the Lobster. They have robbed the cradle! Tiny little things but many of them!!

Specialty Retaurant - We have done Sabatini's and the four of us decided never again. Sorry folks but we didn't enjoy it on our Alaskan cruise so we chose the Crown Grill this time and, boy, was that a smart choice. We had some of the very best steaks we have ever eaten. My 14 oz Ribeye was nice and juicy and red in the middle as was Karen's and Trudy's Filet's . Mark's Ribeye was just like mine. We asked for surf and turf and Ali (our superb waiter) was glad to oblige. The second round of lobster was a capper!! We will do this one again!!

Fish and Chips - watch your Patter's for the Fish and Chips days (2). It too is outstanding. It is served in the pub but I am not sure of which days this was.

Afternoon tea - Superb. a nice way to relax and eat more food!

The Buffet - I saved this for last as we have mixed emotions on this. The food was outstanding but we still quibble about the layout. Obviously no one did a time/motion study on this place as the lines got all jangled up. If you go at off times (and just when is on one eating on a ship?) you can get fed pretty quickly. Finding a seat is an all together different matter. I honestly think it is like this on very ship in one way or another.

Pictures - Ahh the dreaded photog's. Well guess what? Not bad at all. they really didn't bother us much at all. On previous cruises they were like unwanted flies. Not so here and we would like to thank Princess for backing off. Now, print less useless photo's and give us the difference off our cruise bill!!!! Good Lord they waste a ton of paper!!

Steward - Folks we were blessed with the very best we have ever had. His name was Christian and he was outstanding. We had an eggcrate in no time. Had the wine glasses we needed just as quickly. Christian, thank you. You made a wonderful trip even better.

Disembarkation - Phew!!! My least favorite part of a cruise. By the last day, our room feels like home (well almost 200 Sq Ft versus 2800) We don't want to leave. We chose Express Embarkation (yep, even though we are older) and it took about 5 minutes to get off the ship. A word here about the Hyatt Place North. Not only did they come pick us up (remember, we stayed there a week ago and had no plans to overnight this time), but they allowed us to store our bags there. We rented a car and drove around FLL for the rest of the morning. Then Hyatt was kind enough to take us to a very crowded airport. Thanks Angel!!

Well, that's it folks. I am very sure as soon as I send this that I will remember something I intended tio talk about. Getting old is so much fun! I will be glad to answer any questions anyone might have. And I assure you, you ill get an honest answer as I am an opinionated old coot hehehe. A shout out to Mark and Trudy for being the bestest traveling companions. And one for all you folks we met at the M&G. You guys were friendly and a lot of fun. A hearty Eh! to all oour Canuck friends too

Cheers, Kenn

Archived