Beginner Scuba

JillGoBlue

Has anyone done the beginner (non-certified) scuba excursion here, through the ship or otherwise? How was it? Recommendations for vendors?

I believe Subway watersports offered a beginners course for around $95. They are a PADI certified dive shop with two facilities and a good reputation. You might google them and see if they still offer the course and what prep or paper work is needed. I would suggest you also contact a local dive shop and see about taking a PADI diving course or class to aclimate yourself and understand the basics before doing any diving in Roatan.

I agree. I cringe when I hear about people taking the "Discover Scuba" or "Beginner Scuba" or whatever name they call it. Diving can be a fun and safe sport.....if you know the rules. But you have to learn them first. In the open ocean is not the place to do it. IMO. If you have an interest in scuba diving...... take the course and learn the rules - be safe. Or at least - go to your book store and get the book they use to teach the course and read it. You will be that much more ahead.

If you are determined to do this - check out the dive operator thoroughly. Go to tripadvisor or some of the other dive sites and read about the ones you are considering.

We just returned from a 15 day tour of Egypt and were fortunate to be able to get a dive in the Red Sea. Amazing amazing dive !

Has anyone done the beginner (non-certified) scuba excursion here, through the ship or otherwise? How was it? Recommendations for vendors?

Hubby and I just got back, and I *don't* recommend using Island Marketing for their "Ultimate Discover Diving 2-tank excursion". We got 10-15 mins instruction in murky shallow water and *one* dive - they claim the instruction counted as one of our 2 dives....

I know this isn't what you asked, but for reasons of safety I will second the idea of taking the course locally. You will learn much more and be MUCH safer. It is worth it. You can still do check out dives on the cruise. This will maximize both your time and money.

Archived