I want to learn how - where do I start?

VermeulT

Find a local dive shop and go in and talk to them. Many have their own training program and might even have their own onsite pool. YMCA is another avenue to take. Sometimes you will see an excursion to "sample" scuba on your next trip which can be a possibility as well. Lots of options and they're all fun! ... :D

Head out on a western Caribbean 7 day cruise. Carnival has some for as little as $449 in Feb. Rotan, Belize City, Cozumel, Garnad Caymen & Costa Maya. Grab a resort course in one of those ports and let the fun begin!!!!!

Then when you get back state side look up a padi instructor close to home and go see what they offer. Yahooo!:D

I would recommend finding a SNUBA or Discover SCUBA excursion on your upcoming cruise. This will give you a real good taste of whether you would really enjoy it.

SNUBA is the same concept of SCUBA but instead of gearing up and learning about all of the equipment you are given a regulator that is on a long hose that is connected to an air tank which is floating above. You are limited to how far down you go (typically 20 feet or so). SNUBA is really a great way to introduce yourself to the regulator and how it feels to breath under water, but you are not tied down with all of the gear. After you do SNUBA I would then step up to Discover SCUBA so then you get a first hand account of how it all flows.

I tried SNUBA on a cruise and knew I wanted to become certified. My DH and I "dove right in" (LOL). Anyway, you may get a lot of different opinions about this subject, this is just mine :).

I want to learn how to SCUBA...

Recommendations please on what to do/ get first? second? ....

Thanks much.

There are a variety of difference agencies which can teach you scuba. Some of the agencies are PADI, NAUI, SDI, IDEA, ACUC, BSAC and PDIC. One of the original agencies was Y-SCUBA (YMCA) but it isn't quite as popular/well known. If you want something which is good for travel then stick with the most well known names.

They all follow a similar standard. However the standard mandates a minimum requirement. The instructor will make all the difference. A bad instructor will just read the textbooks to you and make sure you meet the minimum requirements. A good instructor will give you real world experience and prepare you for a variety of different situations.

I am a PADI Divemaster so I'll tell you the details of using a PADI instructor.

If you go to PADI Store Locator you can search for a store near you. Once you find a store, go in and talk to the staff. See if you can meet and talk with an instructor. If you hit it off with the instructor then he/she should be able to help you get ready for learning scuba.

Scuba isn't for everyone. Some people like the idea but cannot get comfortable with the equipment you need to wear. PADI has a class called Discover Scuba Dive. You will learn the minimum amount of information to be able to use the equipment in a pool. If that goes well you can enroll in Open Water (OW) Diver classes. There is classroom theory you will need to learn then you will do exercises in a pool. Finally, you do the exercises in open water.

If you are not going to be diving locally, you can do the theory and pool work at home then get a referral letter and finish the course at a tropical destination.

If you need more information, let me know.

Darrell

Darrell and others pretty well covered your options--1 other, get on 95 and drive to south Florida this winter......exit at Blue Heron Blvd in Riviera Beach (West Palm area) and go left toward the ocean. Stop just after crossing US1 at the Force E Dive shop on your right and ask about doing the Discover Scuba course. One of the options will be diving at Blue Heron Bridge just down the street where there is a max depth of 19 feet. Get instruction, get wet, repeat!!

I agree with those who recommend getting certified close to home, pre-cruise. Maybe even try a Discover SCUBA class first to see if you like it.

The PADI Discover course here is about $25 and they supply what you need. The complete PADI course is abt $299 and includes all educational materials. Our shop required us to provide our own mask, snorkel, boots and fins. They provided the wetsuit and all other equipment for classes. There was an extra $100 rental fee for the certification dives.

Currently, we do not plan to buy any other equipment (wetsuit, BCD, regulator, etc) until we know how often/where we might dive. It seems like if most diving is on cruises, it will be much easier to rent wetsuits, etc and just bring the mask, fins, etc along.

For those who do dedicated dive trips (ie: one week at the same resort/hotel) it would make more sense to bring your own stuff..

Less than 2 weeks!

Sara

• 3 weeks later...

I would definitely recommend getting certified pre-cruise. You don't want to be on your trip and on your excursion and wasting precious time practicing and doing skills. In addition, you may experience difficulties that are unexpected during the course and it may take longer to get through everything. There are a lot of things to learn, all necessary to prepare you for the things that could go wrong.

You should find a local dive shop and try the discover scuba that they offer. Once you try and you find if you like it or not, they can help guide you to the next steps. We were certified through Padi, however, there are a couple other organizations that are recongnized as well. We absolutely love diving and I definitely love spending absolutely as much time under the water exploring as I can.

Good luck!

CaribKng has a good point. If you have difficulties during your training you might be too pressed for time to correct them.

Case in point, I assisted a class last weekend and one person had trouble with breathing through her nose. We went through the exercises and she got a little better but it will probably take her a while before she is comfortable enough to pass the open water portion. If she was doing this on a cruise she'd probably end up spending most her cruise practicing not breathing through her nose between the pool session and open water session. Because she did the class and pool work here in Canada, she now has the time to practice before her cruise. The end result will be going on the cruise, getting certified in the first two days then spending the rest of the cruise as a certified diver.

If she still has trouble practicing in a pool here, before her cruise, she can always book a private session.

Definitely finish your certification BEFORE you cruise!

If you do the bookwork and pool sessions with a local dive shop and get a referral letter for the open water portion and want to do the open water dives while on a cruise, you are at the mercy of the local instructor who can and will charge you whatever he wants in order to babysit you while you dive.

I witnessed this first hand while on a cruise. A young couple was charged $400 by a local instructor in Roatan just so he would babysit them and then sign their training log. At the next port, this was repeated, although the price was not as high. What were they going to do? If they wanted to dive, they had to meet his price. These guys know they have the newbies over a barrel and capitalism being what it is, they take advantage of every opportunity that comes along.

In the end, this couple could have taken another cruise for what they paid for a few signatures in their training book.

Was it worth it?

Maybe to them, but not to me as the cost of certification includes the open water portion of the training and could have been taken care of before setting sail.

Hello all,

I have a question about taking the Discover Scuba excursion. I know how to swim, but my other half doesn't. She is comfortable in the water however. Can she still take the Discover Scuba excursion, or is it advisable not too. I wanna take it in the Caribbean so bad.:o

Thanks.:D

Hello all,

I have a question about taking the Discover Scuba excursion. I know how to swim, but my other half doesn't. She is comfortable in the water however. Can she still take the Discover Scuba excursion, or is it advisable not too. I wanna take it in the Caribbean so bad.:o

Thanks.:D

Just my opinion, but I would not advise someone who cannot swim to do a discover scuba. There are too many other things that you need to be aware of to be worried about that as well. Others may disagree, just my thoughts......

Just my opinion, but I would not advise someone who cannot swim to do a discover scuba. There are too many other things that you need to be aware of to be worried about that as well. Others may disagree, just my thoughts......

Very true indeed. I guess i will have to opt for the discovery at a local pool.:mad:

Its all good, nothing beat a a cruise for a first time cruiser. Ill be on the Carnival Glory on April 24th 2011. can't wait!:D

Very true indeed. I guess i will have to opt for the discovery at a local pool.:mad:

Its all good, nothing beat a a cruise for a first time cruiser. Ill be on the Carnival Glory on April 24th 2011. can't wait!:D

Have a great cruise...we took our first one in Feb 2009 and we were hooked. There really is not a better vacation in my opinion....enjoy!

Archived