Wish I'd Been in Oprah's Audience

MsSadie

• 2 weeks later...
Just so you know, Oprah does not exclude relatives of her employess from participating in contests/give aways like most major companies. Who do you think made up the majority of the audience?

Well, I don't know. However, allegedly, these were people who have spent the better part of their lives "giving" to others: nurses, teachers, etc. There was a Dallas woman featured on our local news who was in the audience for the show (actually, the second Christmas giveaway show, where they received the keys to the not yet released VW bug), and she had no connection to anyone on the show.

• 3 months later...

I was one of the very lucky people in the audience of the Oprah show and received the Allure cruise along with many other item's that are Oprah's Ultimate Favorite Things.

As for who was in the audience: Oprah invited all of us that had done good things in the world and given back to others ( I started a non-profit to help low income and homeless girls.) to what we thought was a show on heroes. We all got 2 weeks notice to be on the show and it was not till the show started filming did we find out in a very wonderful way that it was her Favorite Things show. It was so special...and the crowd in the room were so deserving. My favorite was an elderly mother who had taken care of over 30+ foster kids throughout her life and some of her kids sent her info into Oprah. She cried the whole show.

As for who pays for all the items, including the cruise...the companies provide the items as it is a huge marketing thing for them. Many companies send her items wanting to be on her favorite Things show but she only takes things she really loves and uses. So RCCL Paid for the trip to answer your questions!!

Can not wait and will thank Oprah and RCCL everyday for this amazing Cruise!!

I was one of the very lucky people in the audience of the Oprah show and received the Allure cruise along with many other item's that are Oprah's Ultimate Favorite Things.

As for who was in the audience: Oprah invited all of us that had done good things in the world and given back to others ( I started a non-profit to help low income and homeless girls.) to what we thought was a show on heroes. We all got 2 weeks notice to be on the show and it was not till the show started filming did we find out in a very wonderful way that it was her Favorite Things show. It was so special...and the crowd in the room were so deserving. My favorite was an elderly mother who had taken care of over 30+ foster kids throughout her life and some of her kids sent her info into Oprah. She cried the whole show.

As for who pays for all the items, including the cruise...the companies provide the items as it is a huge marketing thing for them. Many companies send her items wanting to be on her favorite Things show but she only takes things she really loves and uses. So RCCL Paid for the trip to answer your questions!!

Wow, thanks for letting us know and GOOD FOR YOU!

Thanks for posting that information! I am so happy to hear that some thought goes into who gets invited for the "favorite things" shows and that it goes to truly wonderful people like yourself.

So, do tell us...Have you booked your sail date, or have you already gone?

Thanks for the information and Congratulations to you! Hope you have a wonderful time on Allure!:)

Wow, That's really great. Hope you have (had?) a great time on the Allure!

Just so you know, Oprah does not exclude relatives of her employess from participating in contests/give aways like most major companies. Who do you think made up the majority of the audience?

This is more of an assumption and is precisely how rumors get started. As you can see in the post below it was a show dedicated to deserving individuals. If Oprah's relatives did something deserving, why should they be excluded? Her show, her rules.

Congratulations! Have a great cruise!

Thanks to all for your kind words and glad I could clear up any assumptions as to who was in the audience.

My cruise leaves next Sunday, March 20th and I am counting the minutes. I will share stories when I return.

Thanks again Oprah for this wonderful gift!

Thanks to all for your kind words and glad I could clear up any assumptions as to who was in the audience.

My cruise leaves next Sunday, March 20th and I am counting the minutes. I will share stories when I return.

Thanks again Oprah for this wonderful gift!

Hey Dream, thank you for your great contributions to the world. We truly need more people like you.

One question though, do you have to pay the taxes on those gifts?

Enjoy the Allure, you deserve it!

After the Oprah's show is over, the accoutant takes the stage. Oprah, issues everyone a 1099 and also makes a payment towards the taxes. Oprah assumes you are in the 25% tax bracket and makes contribution toward your taxes of 25% of the gifts value. :D:D:D

I just returned from the March 6-13 sailing of the Allure, which featured a group of Oprah's Favorite Things winners. They wore special t-shirts and were recognized by Allan Brooks, the cruise director.

I didn't talk to any of them, but just thought I'd let readers/posters know that at least one group of winners cruised on the Allure this past week.

Hi Alex, dz9 is correct...Harpo's accountant (oprah's company) came out with a grinch tie on and pretended that we were going to have to pay taxes on the items and then said something about not liking being the grinch and that Harpo studios was going to pre-pay the taxes for us....it was so unbelievable!! :-) Thank you again Oprah for being such an amazing and giving person!

Archived