San Telmo Market Buenos Aires

tanny18

Hi, I know the San Telmo Market is open every Sunday; however, we will be there on New Year's Day -- a Sunday...Does any know if the Market is open on New Year's Day I cannot seem to find any information about it. Thanks. Arlene;)

Personally, I found this market to be the absolute low point of my BA experience. Other than the local arts and crafts you can find at other markets, the antiques looked just like the junk I don't bring home from our local flea markets. After spending a couple of hours there after debarkation, I told my husband that if this was the best of Buenos Aires, I wanted to go home NOW. Fortunately, the flight was fixed,and we saw other stuff and I was perfectly happy. I'll bet you can find lots of MUCH better things to do on New Years.

Personally, I found this market to be the absolute low point of my BA experience. Other than the local arts and crafts you can find at other markets, the antiques looked just like the junk I don't bring home from our local flea markets. After spending a couple of hours there after debarkation, I told my husband that if this was the best of Buenos Aires, I wanted to go home NOW. Fortunately, the flight was fixed,and we saw other stuff and I was perfectly happy. I'll bet you can find lots of MUCH better things to do on New Years.

Hi Marnie

thanks for your perspective - which other markets in BA do you recommend for those of us who like looking around and perhaps snaring one or two inexpensive trinkets?

Thanks for your help

Good question, Dougo, and I wish I'd been paying more attention. You see, we'd just finished a repositioning odyssey that started in NYC and Ft. Lauderdale, then called at ports (and markets, many markets) from the Straw Market at HMC to Colombia, Panama, Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Ushuaia, and the Falkland Islands before we got off in BA. By then I was on wandering autopilot..........I found some rather nice puzzles and mate things at street stalls SOMEWHERE...........we stayed in Recoleta, went out to Tigre and the delta.............maybe my husband or my daughter had a brain that was still in gear. I'll check with them. If they did, I'll report.

In my opinion, every place in the world has its unique characteristics, I have been blessed with the opportunity of travelling pretty much all over and in my estimation San Telmo is pretty good for its course

One may like or dislike its appearance and its opportunities but most of all it is worthwhile to enjoy whatever it can offer.

Use it and enjoy!!!!

After all, you are there.....

Archived