Dockside Excursions Germany and Sweden

LordWinston

Hello Worldwise Travelers!

In many ports of call these days, one only needs to take a stroll off the ship to find people willing to give tours and excursion adventures.

Are there any options for this sort of thing in Germany and Sweden? I was looking to avoid the cruise ship large number tours and didn't want anything as fancy as DenRus for this leg of our trip.

For example - I saw in the German port a fun idea -- Carriage ride into the countryside to visit a local farm. It would be fun to do this on an actual carriage (feel like one is in a Jane Austen novel) rather than the cruise ship version, which if internet pictures are correct, 'carriage' means flatbed trailer with chairs covered by a yellow awning pulled by two plow horses.

Are there local tour operators who operate right off the boat? Any memorable adventures you took? Even just bike rentals would be enjoyable.

In many ports of call these days, one only needs to take a stroll off the ship to find people willing to give tours and excursion adventures.

Are there any options for this sort of thing in Germany and Sweden? I was looking to avoid the cruise ship large number tours and didn't want anything as fancy as DenRus for this leg of our trip.

For example - I saw in the German port a fun idea -- Carriage ride into the countryside to visit a local farm. It would be fun to do this on an actual carriage (feel like one is in a Jane Austen novel) rather than the cruise ship version, which if internet pictures are correct, 'carriage' means flatbed trailer with chairs covered by a yellow awning pulled by two plow horses.

Are there local tour operators who operate right off the boat? Any memorable adventures you took? Even just bike rentals would be enjoyable.

there was nothing that I saw when we docked in Warnemunde. As we tendered at Nynashamn (for Stockholm) nothing there either. Certainly nothing like we encountered in Alaska or Hawaii. Pretty much the only thing on offer at most ports was the couple of different hoho company tours

For example - I saw in the German port a fun idea -- Carriage ride into the countryside to visit a local farm. It would be fun to do this on an actual carriage (feel like one is in a Jane Austen novel) rather than the cruise ship version, which if Internet pictures are correct, 'carriage' means flatbed trailer with chairs covered by a yellow awning pulled by two plow horses.

We did this crusie in 2009, and docked in Warnemunde and Stockholm, as well as all the other ports you will also dock at. I never saw ONE tour group at any port from outside vendors. I would guess this simply isn't a European thing.

All the ports are very easy to do on your own, and if there is something that interests you, like this carriage ride' you would probably ahve to book something on line, if possible. If you go to the websites of cities like Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki etc, they offer loads of things to do in their cities. They also offer other tours that you can do while in their city, but you must do some research and see what interests you the most.

Cheers

Len

Are there local tour operators who operate right off the boat?

Don't expect any tour operators who are not booked by someone to be waiting in Stockholm. Depending on where your ship will be docked there may be a HO/HO bus available. Also, in one of the possible ports, there is a HO/HO boat.

Stockholm can easily be done on your own using local public transport.

Archived