Just venting.

LindaKE

There's a thread asking what to do with dirty dishes from room service. Someone with disabilities answered saying "Please don't set dishes in the hall." and explained the difficulties. After reading the thread, many posters replied, "Just put them in the hall." Can't they read? Are they so insensitive that they insist on doing what they want even after having the trouble it causes explained to them? Sorry. Some people's attitudes just get to me sometimes.

There's a thread asking what to do with dirty dishes from room service. Someone with disabilities answered saying "Please don't set dishes in the hall." and explained the difficulties. After reading the thread, many posters replied, "Just put them in the hall." Can't they read? Are they so insensitive that they insist on doing what they want even after having the trouble it causes explained to them? Sorry. Some people's attitudes just get to me sometimes.

Those are the same people that use this line: "It's MY vacation and I'll DO WHAT I WANT!!", whether it's complying with the dress code, or making reservations for meals, or pushing their way off the ship first in port, or whatever. The "entitlement generation"...although it's not really a generation..folks of all ages have adopted this attitude. And courtesy and looking out for your brother/sister have disappeared from common knowledge.

Not everybody actually reads a thread before responding, they'll just read (or sometimes even skim) the OP's question and post without seeing if anybody else replied. That's why you'll get a zillion of the same answers sometimes.

Also, the size of the hallways differs from ship to ship and maybe floor to floor. I was on the Carnival Glory that had wide hallways and there would be zero problem putting trays out in those halls and having a wheelchair come through, especially since the trays don't even stick out further than the columns or whatever it was that stuck out of the walls every now and again. However, when I was on the Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas, those hallways were skinny and it was hard to get by them if luggage or a room steward cart was in the hall - sometimes it would be impossible for somebody in a wheelchair to get by with these things there. I visited the room of a friend of mine who is a full-time manual wheelchair user and it was embarkation day, so there was lots of luggage in the hallway. At one point, there was a larger suitcase that she could absolutely not get by no matter how we tried to move the suitcase. We had to get a room steward to come bring that luggage inside the room it belonged to so she could get down the hallway to her room! Crazy.

Also, the size of the hallways differs from ship to ship and maybe floor to floor. I was on the Carnival Glory that had wide hallways and there would be zero problem putting trays out in those halls and having a wheelchair come through, especially since the trays don't even stick out further than the columns or whatever it was that stuck out of the walls every now and again. However, when I was on the Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas, those hallways were skinny and it was hard to get by them if luggage or a room steward cart was in the hall - sometimes it would be impossible for somebody in a wheelchair to get by with these things there. I visited the room of a friend of mine who is a full-time manual wheelchair user and it was embarkation day, so there was lots of luggage in the hallway. At one point, there was a larger suitcase that she could absolutely not get by no matter how we tried to move the suitcase. We had to get a room steward to come bring that luggage inside the room it belonged to so she could get down the hallway to her room! Crazy.

On the Carnival Freedom last month we had no problems in the hall with either the scooter or the manual w/c. Granted the chair is slightly more narrow than most as it fits a skinny teenager but we were able to pass even the housekeeping cart with no problem. BTW, we keep our dishes inside, kinda gross to put food in the hall.

We have always been told to call room service back to pick up the dishes. We have had zero luck with that. On one cruise the dishes actually sat there all day and that evening. We did set them out in the hall. I think the room steward probably had an issue with room service being the ones that should pick them up. Anyway, most times the room stewards just take them. I don't like them sitting in the hall either but if you can't someone to take them from your room (I hate making a big deal out of it) then sometimes it has to be.

Venting - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=26982379#post26982379

Don't know when the cruise goes out however.

If they were *assigned* the cabin, that means the cruise line put them there...when guarantees were distributed..close to the time of sailing.

I don't expect the cruise line to sail with empty cabins, even handicap-accessible cabins, if no one with a disability books them. I DO hope that they indeed wait until they're filling the ship -- assigning guarantees -- to assign them. Which is what it sounds like happened here.

Archived