Would You Choose an Aft Facing Balcony (BE Cat. on the Sun)....

Glendy

before you would choose a BD category GTY cabin if the price was virtually the same on the Sun?

I am so very confused. I love the idea of an aft facing balcony but am a little concerned about the sound from the lounge below.

I have read some concerns about soot on the balcony.

What does it sound like on the aft facing balcony? Can you hear the sound of the ship and the wake? If so, do you find that relaxing?

I really just need someone that is very knowledgeable about this particular ship to choose a cabin for me. :D

before you would choose a BD category GTY cabin if the price was virtually the same on the Sun?

I am so very confused. I love the idea of an aft facing balcony but am a little concerned about the sound from the lounge below.

I have read some concerns about soot on the balcony.

What does it sound like on the aft facing balcony? Can you hear the sound of the ship and the wake? If so, do you find that relaxing?

I really just need someone that is very knowledgeable about this particular ship to choose a cabin for me. :D

We did 19 day cruise on the Sun in 11/2008 aft cabin (over wake) cabin #8278 yes we had heavy soot, almost half size pcs. of paper.

Being two guys were not too concerned about clothing etc like some woman would be and we just wiped chairs/lounges off with towels if the room steward wasn't around.

We also kept a second pair of beach towels around to put on chairs to sit on.

We slept with balcony door open every night as we love the sound of the ocean, it's also not overly loud.

There was little noise from the Stardust theater when they had shows on but certainly not a deal breaker and besides the shows are over by what 9/10 pm

Would we do another aft cabin on the Sun, absolutely.

We did 19 day cruise on the Sun in 11/2008 aft cabin (over wake) cabin #8278 yes we had heavy soot, almost half size pcs. of paper.

Being two guys were not too concerned about clothing etc like some woman would be and we just wiped chairs/lounges off with towels if the room steward wasn't around.

We also kept a second pair of beach towels around to put on chairs to sit on.

We slept with balcony door open every night as we love the sound of the ocean, it's also not overly loud.

There was little noise from the Stardust theater when they had shows on but certainly not a deal breaker and besides the shows are over by what 9/10 pm

Would we do another aft cabin on the Sun, absolutely.

Thank you for your response. When I was thinking of soot I was thinking dust not half paper sized flakes! Wow!

What about the star gazing? I imagine that the view of the sky is less obstructed on the aft facing balcony. What do you think?

Thank you for your response. When I was thinking of soot I was thinking dust not half paper sized flakes! Wow!

What about the star gazing? I imagine that the view of the sky is less obstructed on the aft facing balcony. What do you think?

The soot problem wasn't all the time, If I remembered correctly it was mostly when in port, I guess because there was no wind to catch and take it away.

As for star gazing its a perfect balcony for that and sunning as the aft of the ship is tiered, see pic attached.

aft.jpg.20c50c6cdf2dc9ddf04779f356e73088.jpg

The soot problem wasn't all the time, If I remembered correctly it was mostly when in port, I guess because there was no wind to catch and take it away.

As for star gazing its a perfect balcony for that and sunning as the aft of the ship is tiered, see pic attached.

That is great!

Thank you for the picture. :)

Conversely, is there any shelter on the balcony in the event that it rains?

Sorry if my questions are getting annoying. I really like to know what I am getting in advance. This is all a completely new experience for me and I want to make the best choices possible.

The aft balconies are always the most popular and if you notice the pricing is often around $150 pp more over a regular balcony. They also are one of the first balcony cabins to sell.

The aft balcony does have a 3 to 4 feet of over hang. Some folks would be more concerned about the constant sun and heat rather than rain. We love the sun so for us it's never been a problem.

The aft balconies are always the most popular and if you notice the pricing is often around $150 pp more over a regular balcony. They also are one of the first balcony cabins to sell.

The aft balcony does have a 3 to 4 feet of over hang. Some folks would be more concerned about the constant sun and heat rather than rain. We love the sun so for us it's never been a problem.

Thank you for answering me once again. :)

You have helped me out a lot.

We just got back yesterday from the Sun, room 0266 on the 10th floor just under the Great Outdoors eating area. Just the delicious odors of morning breakfast cooking. No noise from the Stardust Lounge on the 5th and 6th floor. No one going past your room all the time either, you're kind of at the end of a dead end street. The only noise we had was the sound of the water that sounded very soothing like a waterfall.

We got the room at a steal as we booked it last year June. I thought the cruise was for last yr Nov.! We decided the keep the booking anyway since it was such a good price.

005.jpg.36d44e874c5912d22707e136f47551aa.jpg

Nothing better than an aft....well an aft suite would work for me....I love listening to the wake as we sail. Think the best white noise machine you could ever buy!:D I have never had an issue with soot but some do and have always said it was very easy to clean up. Just ask your steward for extra towels so you don't use the ones you need for your shower. Another thing to think about with an aft is you are FARTHEST from any activities on the front of the ship. Sometimes you have to walk past MANY MANY cabins to get to yours. But the larger balcony, privacy and view are always worth it to me. And I lose weight doing all that walking!:p Happy sailing.

I've found star gazing from ship to be less than stellar due to abundance of light polution. I've enjoyed many stern (more correct than aft) balcony rooms. What about the 2 two forward BAs on the Sun?

Those are booked. They were one of the first cabins I asked about. :)

I had a feeling that the light pollution might be an issue with stargazing but I still imagine it will be better viewing than from our home.

We just got back yesterday from the Sun, room 0266 on the 10th floor just under the Great Outdoors eating area. Just the delicious odors of morning breakfast cooking. No noise from the Stardust Lounge on the 5th and 6th floor. No one going past your room all the time either, you're kind of at the end of a dead end street. The only noise we had was the sound of the water that sounded very soothing like a waterfall.

We got the room at a steal as we booked it last year June. I thought the cruise was for last yr Nov.! We decided the keep the booking anyway since it was such a good price.

Nothing better than an aft....well an aft suite would work for me....I love listening to the wake as we sail. Think the best white noise machine you could ever buy!:D I have never had an issue with soot but some do and have always said it was very easy to clean up. Just ask your steward for extra towels so you don't use the ones you need for your shower. Another thing to think about with an aft is you are FARTHEST from any activities on the front of the ship. Sometimes you have to walk past MANY MANY cabins to get to yours. But the larger balcony, privacy and view are always worth it to me. And I lose weight doing all that walking!:p Happy sailing.

You have all convinced me, I'm booking an aft facing (stern) stateroom).

Thanks for the input! :D

Having sailed for 14 days in 9077 I completely agreed with all the above posters - we had some soot but only on two days and the larger balcony (we got a lounger and 2 chairs out there) as well as the wonderful sound of the wake more than offset the trouble of wiping down the chairs with a beach towel. I do have one suggestion - if you can swing one of the AFs on the stern do it. They are much nicer than the minis on the sides, wider rather than long and narrow. If my memory serves me correctly there is a shower in addition to the tub in the bathroom. All in All, it would be well worth a couple of hundred extra per person or more if it was a longer trip or if you had more than just the two of you onboard. We tried to get it for our recent trip when we had six friends aboard as it would have made a wonderful pre-dinner gathering spot. Alas, the price never got low enough for cheapo-me.

Having sailed for 14 days in 9077 I completely agreed with all the above posters - we had some soot but only on two days and the larger balcony (we got a lounger and 2 chairs out there) as well as the wonderful sound of the wake more than offset the trouble of wiping down the chairs with a beach towel. I do have one suggestion - if you can swing one of the AFs on the stern do it. They are much nicer than the minis on the sides, wider rather than long and narrow. If my memory serves me correctly there is a shower in addition to the tub in the bathroom. All in All, it would be well worth a couple of hundred extra per person or more if it was a longer trip or if you had more than just the two of you onboard. We tried to get it for our recent trip when we had six friends aboard as it would have made a wonderful pre-dinner gathering spot. Alas, the price never got low enough for cheapo-me.

Thanks, Clay. All of this love for the aft facing category has really encouraged me. I feel like I have made the right choice. :)

We just can't afford any of the suite categories. It is a real splurge for us to go on this cruise at all. It will be just the two of us anyway. I feel very blessed to be able to get an aft facing balcony. It's a wonder they weren't all scooped up.

To chime in ... I think you made a good choice! We've been on one aft-facing balcony last year on the Pearl and have another next month on the Gem. I have to second all of the good things said by the others!

The secret seems to be out on the desirability of these cabins - if you are booking a cruise after April 2011, NCL has changed the category of these cabins, to distinguish them from other balcony cabins...

Have a great trip!!

To chime in ... I think you made a good choice! We've been on one aft-facing balcony last year on the Pearl and have another next month on the Gem. I have to second all of the good things said by the others!

The secret seems to be out on the desirability of these cabins - if you are booking a cruise after April 2011, NCL has changed the category of these cabins, to distinguish them from other balcony cabins...

Have a great trip!!

Glad to hear it! :)

I noticed the change in the brochure for cruises after April 2011.

Have a great trip!!

Ooh we've got an AFT on the pearl next month - mini suite deck 11 - what are they like - I'm getting married and worried I will end up with soot on my dress - do I need to worry - any tips to keep it clean?

Thanks, Clay. All of this love for the aft facing category has really encouraged me. I feel like I have made the right choice. :)

We just can't afford any of the suite categories. It is a real splurge for us to go on this cruise at all. It will be just the two of us anyway. I feel very blessed to be able to get an aft facing balcony. It's a wonder they weren't all scooped up.

We couldn't either....but keep hope alive for a call from the upsell fairy!

Ooh we've got an AFT on the pearl next month - mini suite deck 11 - what are they like - I'm getting married and worried I will end up with soot on my dress - do I need to worry - any tips to keep it clean?

Don't sit on the balcony in your wedding dress.:D

@Glendy -

We sort of like stern cabins. How much? No stern cabin, no cruise.

I think Tightwallet is correct. Our Caribbean cruise on the sun was the only time that we encountered some soot flakes -- early in the morning in port. However, to make up for it, we could smell the aroma of baked goods from below wafting up. On the Atlantic crossings we have never encountered soot - or that lovely smell.

One thing you should be aware of: you'll not be able to see the water while lying in bed. You have to sit up in order to look over the solid bottom part of the railing. We were in #8278, right over the theater. There was some sound from below when they practiced in the afternoon, but that did not prevent us from enjoying our afternoon naps.

Take a look at the balcony picture below.

@Tiggertastic -

Congratulations on your wedding. We just just a damp wash cloth to get the soot off the chairs.

1291357112_Sunrearbalcony.jpg.9efede28e0cefe4cd346db4d9704af3d.jpg

Don't wear anything in your cabin?;)

Congratulations!

Are you wearing your dress to the ship? I know it must be a beautiful dress but you can't wear it forever. ;)

Are you getting married while on the Pearl? I imagine some of the most beautiful wedding pictures have been taken at sea on that beautiful ship.

If you are getting married on the Pearl, my above statement stands. You have to get out of that dress eventually. :D

We couldn't either....but keep hope alive for a call from the upsell fairy!

I wonder if I need to write the Upsell Fairy a letter like you do Santa Claus? I wonder what my postman would think of that? xmas.gif

I hope the Upsell Fairy doesn't require teeth like the Tooth Fairy. I have a goal to keep all of my own teeth the rest of my life. I hope she understands. biggrin.gif

Doesn't the Upsell Fairy have a sibling that will occasionally upgrade you to a luxury suite just because they like you? Would we call this one the Upgrade Fairy? 54ec5ff8.gif

I can dream, can't I? sigh-happy_mn.gif

@Glendy -

We sort of like stern cabins. How much? No stern cabin, no cruise.

I think Tightwallet is correct. Our Caribbean cruise on the sun was the only time that we encountered some soot flakes -- early in the morning in port. However, to make up for it, we could smell the aroma of baked goods from below wafting up. On the Atlantic crossings we have never encountered soot - or that lovely smell.

One thing you should be aware of: you'll not be able to see the water while lying in bed. You have to sit up in order to look over the solid bottom part of the railing. We were in #8278, right over the theater. There was some sound from below when they practiced in the afternoon, but that did not prevent us from enjoying our afternoon naps.

Take a look at the balcony picture below.

Thank you for your reply. The pictures in your album of the Sun really helped me make up my mind. In fact, I have the picture you took of the ocean from your balcony as my computer's background right this minute. :)

Contrats on your wedding. We only saw soot one day on deck 10 in our aft-facing balcony. The room stewards were excellent and kept things clean (maybe there was soot for more than one day and we missed it!). I never noticed any soiled clothing from spending time on the balcony!

Have a great trip!!

Archived