December events

amapola

For those who are coming to SJ in the next few weeks, I thought I'd post some events that were advertised in the paper today. Hope this info is helpful!

SoFo Culinary Fest -- Dec 2 - 5

Dozens of restaurants set up tables and kiosks on Fortaleza Street.

Christmas lighting ceremony -- Dec 3, 6:00 pm

There will be a parade from Plaza Colón (near the piers, across from the Tapia Theater) to Plaza de Armas and music by several salsa & plena bands.

Christmas Boat Parade -- Dec 11, 6:00 - 8:00 pm

Boats and yachts all lit up for the season will sail from the Yacht Club to the end of the Paseo de la Princesa. You can see the parade from the docks or from anywhere along the Paseo de la Princesa.

(I think this sounds particularly fun and different!)

I'll be happy to post more info as it becomes available :)

Oh, you'll have an excellent view of the parade as it gets started!

Look at this map (put together by RayinPR). You may need to zoom out a little to see the Yacht Club (Club Náutico), which is marked by a blue anchor on the right side of the map. Celebrity uses the PanAm pier, which is marked by a lone ship by the airport at the bottom center of the map. The boats will cruise west almost to El Morro, which is the last marker to the left, so they'll go right by your ship! :)

For those who are coming to SJ in the next few weeks, I thought I'd post some events that were advertised in the paper today. Hope this info is helpful!

SoFo Culinary Fest -- Dec 2 - 5

Dozens of restaurants set up tables and kiosks on Fortaleza Street.

Christmas lighting ceremony -- Dec 3, 6:00 pm

There will be a parade from Plaza Colón (near the piers, across from the Tapia Theater) to Plaza de Armas and music by several salsa & plena bands.

Christmas Boat Parade -- Dec 11, 6:00 - 8:00 pm

Boats and yachts all lit up for the season will sail from the Yacht Club to the end of the Paseo de la Princesa. You can see the parade from the docks or from anywhere along the Paseo de la Princesa.

(I think this sounds particularly fun and different!)

I'll be happy to post more info as it becomes available :)

Is Fortaleza Street anywhere near the Marriott Stellaris? That's where we are staying pre-cruise and would love to check this out.

Is Fortaleza Street anywhere near the Marriott Stellaris? That's where we are staying pre-cruise and would love to check this out.

SoFo Culinary Fest

we are intrested in this we are staying at the Radission, how far away is it

Fortaleza is in Old San Juan -- on the map that I linked above, it's where the Parrot Club and Dragonfly restaurants are located. Both your hotels are in Condado. Pan to the right (east) to an area that's shaded tan on the map, you'll find your hotels there.

It's not far, but you do need to take a taxi there & back. HTH!

You're welcome! I'm glad this is helpful. A few more events:

NaviFest (info in Spanish) is an almost 2 month long celebration that includes many events in OSJ and vicinity, as well as in other towns throughout the island. A few highlights:

NaviVillage -- starting Nov. 25 and going through early January on the grounds of the Convention Center (by the new Sheraton) -- music, food, crafts. The website has a list of musical acts by date, but doesn't state times :rolleyes:. Maybe they'll add info later.

Crafts fair -- starting Nov 27, Paseo de la Princesa (quite near the OSJ piers)

Another crafts fair -- Dec 11 & 12, Muñoz Rivera park (halfway between OSJ and Condado, easy bus or taxi ride from either)

Three Kings' Cavalcade (Cabalgata de los Reyes Magos) -- hundreds of people on horseback are expected to ride from the Convention Center to OSJ

San Sebastián Street Festival (a must see!) -- Jan 13-16 in OSJ. Music, food, crafts, almost (but not quite) a Mardi Gras atmosphere :D This is one of the most important cultural activities in PR.

Lots of things to do! :)

Amapola: Great information! Won't be there until Jan 5, in time for San Sebastian festival.

Conservatory of Music in Miramar, has some excellent free programs. For those in

Condado, Ashford House may be decorated and hotel lobbies are beautiful.

I have heard about a art/crafts fair the first too Sundays in Dec. Does anyone have any info on this as to where exactly and the best way to get there, as well as times? Thank you.

You may be thinking of the Bacardi crafts fair, which (sadly) was discontinued last year. But I went to OSJ yesterday and the kiosks for the crafts fair on Paseo de la Princesa were going up. That's really easy to find if you're docked in OSJ: just turn left as you leave the pier and keep on walking :). You'll soon come to the end of the waterfront and you'll see the beginning of the paseo right ahead.

Thanks Amapola for all the great info! We will be there New Years Eve and day leaving for cruise on the 2nd. Do you have any info and or suggestions for NYEve?

I haven't seen specific info for NYE, though the promo for NaviFest mentioned there would be something in OSJ -- probably a few orchestras & singers, street food & drinks, fireworks of course! I think they usually have this near the piers, but as soon as I see anything I'll post it.

Also, many hotels have parties including dinner, dancing and usually a split of champagne per couple. They're not cheap, but you can't beat the convenience of being right in your hotel and not having to deal with transportation at 1 am :D

This is great information. I'd love to see activities/events for January, as we will be in OSJ mid-January, just a one-day port stop.

If you're here between Jan 13 & 16, you must go to the San Sebastián Street Festival. I don't think there will be much else going on in mid or late January -- everyone is all partied out LOL.

You may be thinking of the Bacardi crafts fair, which (sadly) was discontinued last year. But I went to OSJ yesterday and the kiosks for the crafts fair on Paseo de la Princesa were going up. That's really easy to find if you're docked in OSJ: just turn left as you leave the pier and keep on walking :). You'll soon come to the end of the waterfront and you'll see the beginning of the paseo right ahead.

Thank you Amapola, we will be in San Juan Dec 1st through the 5th before our cruise, looks like there will be a ton to do!

Oh, you'll have an excellent view of the parade as it gets started!

Look at this map (put together by RayinPR). You may need to zoom out a little to see the Yacht Club (Club Náutico), which is marked by a blue anchor on the right side of the map. Celebrity uses the PanAm pier, which is marked by a lone ship by the airport at the bottom center of the map. The boats will cruise west almost to El Morro, which is the last marker to the left, so they'll go right by your ship! :)

Wonderful! Looks like we'll have great seats! Couldn't have planned a better time. Thanks for the map too.

Festival de la mascaras help please (rainforest girl?)

We are in SJ on the 28th of Decemebr, and I just found out that that is the day for the Festival of the Masks.. sounds great! However, from what I have found on the web, it appears that there are events tied to this outside of SJ, but can't find any in the city. Can you help let us know where/when we can see the parade and other events on that day?

Thanks

Dan

Wonderful! Looks like we'll have great seats! Couldn't have planned a better time. Thanks for the map too.

I'm actually jealous of the great view you'll have :D :p

The map is great, isn't it? I take no credit for it :)

Festival de la mascaras help please (rainforest girl?)

We are in SJ on the 28th of Decemebr, and I just found out that that is the day for the Festival of the Masks..

Dan

The festival is in the town of Hatillo, which is a good 1.5 hours from SJ. If you go to the map that I linked above, pan out to the west along the shoreline. Hatillo is a very small town. It's almost where the orange overlay ends. I don't know if there might be any sort of organized tour to go there for the festival, :confused: but normally you'd need to rent a car or hire a taxi to take you there and wait for you.

Interesting, probably not an event in which many tourists go to?

How much would you guess for a taxi there and back?

I really don't think many tourists would go because it's really out of the way if you're staying in SJ. I couldn't even venture a guess :confused: how much the taxi would be, sorry! :o Hope someone else can chime in and give you an idea!

Archived