RCI secrets they don't tell you

kembo

Regarding your Febreze tip...here's something you probably don't know.

I'm a deputy sheriff, and many times we have to book some pretty unsavory characters into jail. We spray everything with Fabreze to INCLUDE the prisoner - It's a lifesaver!

:D Too funny! Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

READ SMALL PRINT! Use caution when booking during promo events like the WOW sale. They have wonderful benefits, but will only apply on the sailing your initially book. If you should need to change your ship or sail date you will lose out on your on board credit.

I learned my lesson the hard way. But lucked out in the end... Got a $400 price drop per person that saved my family $1,600!

This isn't RCCL specific, but a general tip for cruising newbies.

I am not a good "relaxer"

I am not good with "downtime"

I am a notorious "planner" when it comes to travel

On my first cruise, I was bored and came away enjoying the ports but not enjoying the ship.

But as time went by after my cruise, I realized I approached it all wrong. I was looking to be constantly stimulated and entertained, but nothing really interested me. I don't want to learn basket weaving or penuckle (you get my point).

So we went on another cruise, and this time I took no expectations.

I just walked about, spent time in cabin taking a nap or watching TV, with curtains open to see the ocean and I actually had to work to relax...and I did.

So my RCCL (or cruising) secret?

Don't plan anything, or plan as little as possible. Try the mytime dining so you're on your schedule, not someone else's. Don't plan. Don't highlight anything in the Compass, except maybe one or two things max. Just learn to "roll with it"

Take walks around the ship and look, watch, observe.

Amazing how life around you itself makes its own TV show.

Just wander around, having a snack here and there, go back to cabin, watch a little TV and go for a walk again.

Point is, the less you expect or plan, the easier it will be to just go along with it and feel better at the end.

I hope that makes some sense.

It probably will to some diagnosed or undiagnosed ADHD adults out there who have a hard time slowing down and actually relaxing.

Best advice yet !!

Love our mini white noise machine!!!

Though at night, nothing is better than the great BIG white noise machine we're riding on.

I love having the balcony door cracked just enough to hear the waves sloshing by us as I drift off to sleep!

Talk about some great white noise !

Originally Posted by darrelltwo viewpost.gif

So, on a crowded ship, the elevators get a little crazy....

Tip 1:

When you want to travel several floors without picking up extra folk along the way, hold your floor selection button and the "door close" button at the same time until the doors close. Then you'll travel in "priority" mode.

snip....

Maybe pretty rude ...but I know I'm gonna try it next time! :p;)

Also there is something a out different colored carpet on port and aft? Please help on this one CC'ers...

On the Adventure of the Seas port side was blue and starbord side was red. After a long day at port we got back on the ship, took the elevator to our floor and got off. I looked at my husband and said we are on the wrong side of the ship. He asked how I knew, I replied because this carpet is blue and ours is red. He thought I was crazy, but followed me and to his amazement the carpet was red. The carpet color is only by the elevators and stairs. The carpet going down the halls is the same on either side.

Originally Posted by darrelltwo viewpost.gif

So, on a crowded ship, the elevators get a little crazy....

Tip 1:

When you want to travel several floors without picking up extra folk along the way, hold your floor selection button and the "door close" button at the same time until the doors close. Then you'll travel in "priority" mode.

snip....

Maybe pretty rude ...but I know I'm gonna try it next time! :p;)

That's actually a myth. It doesn't do anything.

Seeing that most children do not have photo ID's and bringing their passports to port with you can be a scary thing if you are planning a day at the beach. This is what we are doing. Taking a color photo of the ID page of their passports. Bringing them to our local town office to be noterized, and then taking them onshore with us. All while their passports staff safe in our room safe ;)

We bought the champagne card on one sailing and loved it! We went on another ship, and it was not offered. How long ago did you sail and on what ship? I so hope it is still available, we will be asking from now on!

Sherri

At one time there was a thread trying to inventory which ships had the champagne card. Explorer still did as on December 2009. I think I remember that Adventure had it. Most of the Champagne bar bartenders look at you cross-eyed if you ask about it. This is the card from our 2009 cruise(It costs about $40):

champcard.jpg

And this is the Compass ad from our 2006 Compass:

champagnead.jpg

Edited by KarinaGW

Seeing that most children do not have photo ID's and bringing their passports to port with you can be a scary thing if you are planning a day at the beach. This is what we are doing. Taking a color photo of the ID page of their passports. Bringing them to our local town office to be noterized, and then taking them onshore with us. All while their passports staff safe in our room safe ;)

sounds like a good idea but unfortunately, I do not think this is legal and would really caution anyone doing this without checking first......as I understand, notaries do not authenticate copies of photos or documents but the signatures accompanying written statements on the documents.....

please research your local state laws and also the laws of the areas you plan to use your notarized items for legalities of acceptability.....even if this were accepted as legally authenticated in your local area, will it carry the same weight in another area?

just sayin' :)

It's worth getting up for breakfast in the MDR. We are late night people but we will get up, tidy up, go to breakfast then go back to bed for a nap, often skipping lunch (trust me, I wasn't going hungry by any means).

Our suitcases look like huge duffel bags and we can stuff them under the bed. We then leave one where it is easily pulled out and we stuff our dirty clothes in one of our bags. If we can, we try to stuff all the dirties in one bag. We keep the clean or "cleaner" clothes in another bag reducing the need for laundry when we get home.

I try to ride the elevator as little as possible. Maybe one day I may not be able to but it's far less frustrating for me.

• 3 weeks later...
I stole this from the Princess board, but I loved it and wanted to see what RCI might have to offer. Are there any secrets, freebies, secret doors, great sail away spots etc that most people don't know about or that RCI doesn't tell you about?

sailing in 60 days .. any tips ? ..

As corny as it sounds... our first cruise (Grandeur) we took a pic everyday of the elevator carpet with the day BUT we always had 4 or more of the people traveling in our group standing around the edge of the color burst. It made for a fun photo definitely corny but they look really good in our scrapbooks. 100_5923.jpg

I'LL TELL YOU WHAT'S A WHOLE LOT WORSE THAN USING THE EXPRESS BUTTON: RUDE PEOPLE WHO INSIST ON CRAMMING ONTO AN ALREADY PACKED ELEVATOR.

This wonderful tip is one that I ABSOLUTELY WILL USE. On our last cruise I practically begged a couple to wait for the next elevator but they had to pack ours to the max. They squeezed on, forcing those in the back to be pinned against the wall. Then guess what? The elevator wouldn't move. It stayed in position with the doors closed. When the doors finally opened, those two still refused to get off.

I believe I was on that elevator with you, the woman also told me to fold up my walker to make more room:eek:

Can anyone tell me if the shower in the spa is an open "public type" shower or individual stalls???

It looks as if you are sailing on Oasis - I can't answer for that ship, but on the Serenade they were individual stalls. Here is a photo:

88ac2378.jpg

There were also plenty of towels available, no checkout required:

8a867544.jpg

The "Real Secret" is to explore the entire ship, deck by deck, to see what is there.

Print deck plans from the RCI Web Site before you board and then just wander and explore.

You will be glad you did!

Here is proof that this system works.

On our first cruise on the Jewel of the Seas, every time we went to the Windjammer we got our food and then found a nearby place to sit down and eat. At lunch on the 4th day, the Windjammer was pretty full so we kept heading aft to find an open table. And we found the open air seating area across the stern of the ship. For the rest of the cruise, that is where we ate.

Had we not walked back there we would never have found it!

DSCN8222.jpg

We found this spot on one of our earliest cruises the same way. Just looking for a place to put our food down and the Windjammer was full and then we went through the sliding doors! We have eaten almost every meal out there since. We also use this as our meeting place for our cruise buddies.

No idea, but I'll probably try to print more than one on a page....

on prior trips they have had bowls of little fold up shematics of the ship. They go fast so stop by the guest relations area the minute you get on to see if they have them.....I am the group leader and usually pick up a few for our entire group.

...On Freedom class ships (not sure about the others) on the day you leave, the crew will direct you to the Windjammer for lunch, if you want to skip the crowd you can have pizza or a sandwich on the Promenade deck....

...Bring a case of bottled water or your favorite bottled drink as checked baggage. Pick it up dirt cheap at grocery store in your embarkation city. Throw a luggage tag on it, drop it off at the curb, and it will show up in your cabin. Just don't sneak anything else in one of the inside bottles.

On the Voyager of the Seas, Cafe Promenade did not serve pizza on departure day until after 6pm. Sandwiches and the desserts were available for lunch when we boarded, but no pizza. I suspect this is true for other ships too.

Also the Voyager of the Seas March 2011 was not allowing any outside drinks. They were kept and brought to your cabin the last night.

Edited by Jimnbigd