Why does HAL charge more to book direct?

PoseidonGodoftheSea

I've looked many times after booking to see if I can beat the price quoted and so far haven't found much after all items are added in.

I check both agency sites and Cruise line sites.

I originally started by using an agency and found them hard to work with. Then they took my final payment and went bankrupt. I was saved by VISA. I only found out when I went to check my booking and I couldn't see my final payment on the cruise line website.

After that, I've been going direct with the cruise line.

I also had to use my trip insurance once so I'm a firm believer in that also.

I always ask an agent if my deposit or final payment goes direct to the cruise line if the answer is yes I book. I then contact the cruise line directly to see if they have recieved my payments, up until now no problems and of course your credit card is your best friend if there are any problems.

i just checked on two similar cruises. One on HAL, one Princess.

I tried online TA's and found out I can do just as good or better on Princess with my previous cruise record and on HAL, the TA's got me a better deal than I could do alone even with my previous cruises.

I have booked my cruise with Holland,(Aus agent) and don't misunderstand me, because I love HAL, and received good service, but thought I would do another one as well. I looked on the internet at a TA I have used previously in the USA, only to find that as an Aussie, I can no longer book through a TA or Internet site from anywhere but here in Aus. If I were a USA citizen I could have an SS cabin( deck 8) for USD$1,269, however, through Aus. agents it is AUD$1,294 for a VF cabin (deck 4 ) with a steel balcony. Admittedly with the AUD and USA$ being almost the same, it is a good time for us to travel, or at least to pay for any costs involved in advance. We have been informed by people in Aus. that if we do choose to make alternative reservation, then we may be denied boarding the ship. These prices quoted are for a Mexican cruise on the Oosterdam. I believe it is an agreement made to benefit Aus. TA's, but am unsure of that fact. When you do your sums, that is a huge difference in prices, and would in our case go a long way to helping pay for the airfares to meet the ship.:confused: I now understand why so many people do go for higher class cabins, whilst I have to remain in the VF category.

Archived