Ocean Park Beach or Carolina Beach--Rainforest Girl Need Ya!

moondoggie

We have done DT SJ many times, and want a quiet beach for next months cruise. Which beach do you recomend? We despise the noise intrusive wave runners, but don't mind airplanes! Are either available by public transportation, and, if so, how is that done? If not, what's the approx cabfare?

Thanks, Rainforestgirl, or anyone who has been to these beaches--we welcome your opinions!

We have done DT SJ many times, and want a quiet beach for next months cruise. Which beach do you recomend? We despise the noise intrusive wave runners, but don't mind airplanes! Are either available by public transportation, and, if so, how is that done? If not, what's the approx cabfare?

Thanks, Rainforestgirl, or anyone who has been to these beaches--we welcome your opinions!

I will try to help... in winter, the unprotected beaches along the north coast get windy and sometimes wavey and not safe to swim. So if it were me, I would try Playita or Escambron instead. But here is some info on the beaches. I am sure others will give you their opinions.

Ocean Park will probably be quieter...It is windy, so you will see kite boarders there, but they are quiet! You can find an empty spot on this long beach area. There are only a few restaurants to grab a bite/drink along the stretch of beach. I don't think you will find anyone renting beach chairs/umbrellas. Public Transport goes along the main street, but you would have to walk a number of blocks to the beach. Or taxi probably $12 or $19 each way.

Carolina Balneario is busier...but you will be in port in Winter, so there will be far fewer people (and probably less services). I haven't been in a while , but I hear they have gotten beach sports concession, so I can't say Y/N to jet skis, but yes to airplanes. It is blue flag beach, so maybe they will have some stuff open even in the winter. You can get a bus here, but taxi would be faster. I assume about $20 each way.

Playita del Condado is a small beach that the Conrad SJ Plaza uses as their beach. But it is public. Showers, some vendors with food/drink available. It is small, but not windy and midweek, in winter ...not too crowded. It is right as you cross out of OSJ. Taxi may be the way to go, I assume about $!2 taxi each way.

Escambron is on the OSJ peninsula. It has some services, and in the winter it is not too busy. Rarely wave runners...I don't remember ever seeing them. There are actually 2 beach areas, one is a little cove. About $10 taxi or take the bus (or even walk if you are in good shape and not carrying too much stuff).

But it depends on what day....on Mondays, I think Escambron is closed, maybe Carolina also. If you take a taxi to any beach, you will need to get their card/name phone to call them to pick you up when you are done. There are no taxis just waiting there for people.

Archived