Godd , so-so and "Horrible" Halloween Destiny Oct 28 2010

sharecruises

wow..that makes NO sense

Not with a wedding...so what?? Our group parties are for OUR group

and part of my "role" is to make sure of that..it is the only fair thing for our group members

not sure what the Rick Springfield group has to do with anything, unlike us they do use certain parts of the ship for their own entertainment (Rick) so what is your point there??

They didn't have to "re arrange" the dining set up for me...they gave us a dining list of where our members would be seated and updated it 3 days before the cruise..all large tables...every group asks for this

NO group wants some members in a booth, some at banquettes and some at a "two top"

I am a bit confused..are you saying that IF I want lemons, warm food, coffee and dessert, sauce on my bitter and blanc and /or a 2nd helping I should bring on my own chefs and waiters?? Is that it??

How did I "present myself to the staff" ...what did I do that made a hotel director kow tow to a "milestone" member and allow him to wreck havoc?

what did I do that made a guy play a horrid hoax on a mother, making her think her (sickly) daughter was in a Florida hospital?

what did I do that made a wine lady refuse to even look in her OWN "folio" and find the slips for late booking guests and/or the "wine slips" for solo cabins that had 2 slips??

Of course I know about the "single supplement">> and our group travel agent does NOT charge a lot above (or sometimes any above) the normal rate...she does do roommate matching....we get perks due to the amount of people we have on the ship

FYI...the extra SOLO supplement is newly added...

the new rules of the 30 day booking window are also new

this group cruise was booked last year, and both the Imagination and Glory

cruises were booked before the rule change

you sound like you don't even know anything about groups ???

As you can see I have been on other cruises, other Carnival cruises, my expectations are not high...

unlike many of you I realize I can't choose a cabin...I get what I am assigned... as a group leader I know I won't be eating in the steakhouse (on 7 night cruise)...I won't be eating at the buffet for dinner, even if I want to, and I won't be doing "anytime dining"

I don't have any food allergies and I am not a picky eater

I would like to have dessert and coffee...is that too much to ask?? a lemon for my (tiny) lobster tail?? any request was met with a nasty surly attitude

I need access to my room phone..and this big tv in front of it made the pone useless

You forgot to mention the "used" sauce and the gate crasher.

My point is, if it's not your cup of tea then change brands. No need to spit it out all over the place.

Hope you enjoy your next cruise.

Well isn't the purpose of these boards to share experiences...cruise "critic"...??

Maybe others will learn from this review..at least watch where the waiter gets the little vanilla sauce pitcher from on the Destiny LOL

As you can see I have mostly cruised Carnival...read my Liberty review

I have 2 cruises booked a little late to "change brands" on them

but I will say that next year we are planning a Halloween cruise on NCL Sky

Thanks I do hope to enjoy the Imagination on Dec 10

since you wish to "hijack" my review...give me your opinion of a waiter finding a "used" pitcher and pouring that on my (cold) bitter and blanc??

care to "review" my lobster tail disappointment??

I have to laugh when people say "please give me some positive reviews'>> what happens happens....it is not all positive

this is what happened to me....since you want to dispute it dispute it all

tell me how you would like a used pitcher poured on your dessert??

Are we really going thru this again??? do you ever wonder why all these horrible things keep happening to you and you get waiters with attitude? Just saying!!:rolleyes:

Not sure I have ever experienced an area of the ship that has closed off an area of the ship for use by the group (and I have traveled in groups) other than a club for a meeting (which only lasted an hour...). Can you give me an example?

This group has a club or room for an hour, that group has another one for an hour, another group has another one for an hour, this group has another room for an hour, that group has another room for an hour.....at any given time some group has some room closed for an hour or so....

I am not sure if Carnival cares....they just don't want solos

we had about 20 solo cabin cruisers out of 103 cruisers...

this was booked last year ....if we were to book next years Halloween cruise on Carnival my travel agent would only have 30 days to get the group together....impossible

and even worse...they will now only allow 10 solo cabins per group cruise....any more and they want to charge all cruisers in a solo cabin a $40 a day surcharge to make up for the "missing revenues" ...unreal

2x2...2x2...like Noah's ark

years ago the cruiselines did roommate matching for singles and had some singles cabins...now?? they want them like Noahs ark

great for the happy couples..but with the divorce rate in this country not all will be coupled forever

just sailing with a friend is ok...but I prefer groups...I like having a bunch of people to "hang" with, people to go to shows with...going as a group on private excursions

We are looking into NCL...their "solo" cabin deal on Epic is really interesting...my agent has some cruisers on that at the end of the month and we will see...they have a singles lounge "The Living Room">> attached to the solo cabins....they have whiteboards/signup sheets where singles can say "hey let's meet at 7 for the Italian Restaurant" or "Anyone want to snorkel in Cozumel" etc etc whatever...they also have a singles hostess in the lounge and a nightly get together

no surcharge on the solo cabins

NCL also allows groups to hold space on their regular cruises for 4 to 6 months and seem to be very generous with the amenity points

for groups of 20 and more they will give assigned seating in one of the "free" dining rooms and even make a reservation in a paid one or give one night in a paid dining area as a group "perk"

so as much as I like Carnival after our 2 booked cruises (and I become Platinum) I maybe on NCL, and or others

I feel sad that Carnival so devalues us singles and our business

I think you'll be much happier on NCL!!:D

Are we really going thru this again??? do you ever wonder why all these horrible things keep happening to you and you get waiters with attitude? Just saying!!:rolleyes:

NO what are you "just saying"??

did the people who had a bad cruise on Splendor do something to cause it??

I didn't have an "attitude">>

I have to laugh at some of you...until you get a really bad waiter or have a really bad cruise you just won't know what it is like

unlike some of the people who have bad cruises or write bad reviews, I don't set myself up for this....I didn't go in with false expectations..I am not real picky....I pretty much "know' the way things run and work

Some of you really have NO idea how groups work or what they should rightfully expect from the cruiseline

Yes....Tulsaclub fan's post is correct...groups use a room, usually the piano bar, the "cover group lounge", possibly the disco or the "comedy club" lounge

on Destiny we had Downbeat Lounge for an hour the first day and the Disco (shared with another group) for an hour the 2nd day

we have these rooms during a time when no one else would be there (no music, and no band, no dj) ...like at 5:30-6:30 or 6:30 to 7:30

you will see a sign outside : Private function

weddings also have these same venues but for a longer time I think

and really any group could book them for 2 hours if they are willing to pay extra...why this would bother any of you I have no idea

No one has yet addressed the fact that the waiter did not bring me and another gal a 2nd lobster tail have they?

No one has yet addressed the fact that the waiter did not bring me and another gal a 2nd lobster tail have they?

I didn't realize you wrote this thread so we could address your issues...my bad.

I think it is horrible that you had to share a lobster tail. But, that being said, most waiters would tell you (if you ask them) that you should order extra lobster with your first order. Not everyone wants more, but you can have more if you want, however it is easier and faster if you tell them up front that you want more. Please don't say you didn't know they would be that small. You have cruised Carnival before, so you must have known the lobsters are teeny.

Anything else you would like addressed?

I didn't realize you wrote this thread so we could address your issues...my bad.

I think it is horrible that you had to share a lobster tail. But, that being said, most waiters would tell you (if you ask them) that you should order extra lobster with your first order. Not everyone wants more, but you can have more if you want, however it is easier and faster if you tell them up front that you want more. Please don't say you didn't know they would be that small. You have cruised Carnival before, so you must have known the lobsters are teeny.

Anything else you would like addressed?

I am only saying...address some of the issues I have raised which are specific...unlike some people I didn't say the whole cruise was horrible

I put out specific examples

Lobster tails have never been that small on any of my cruises. Asking for anything extra with THIS waiter was impossible. As an example...the first night I asked for the caesar salad, shrimp cocktail and the strawberry bisque and he said "You already have soup, now you want salad too?" and made a face

The "flat iron" steak I had was unacceptable....NO worchestire sauce even tho I asked and asked (and I KNOW Carnival carries it)..it was also overdone, not medium rare...I asked (nicely) to have the Jerk Pork and was treated horribly...."you have the steak">> and he made a face

I know for a fact that you can and should be able to ask for 2nds or a different entree ...and ask for multiple appetizers

some on these boards brag about how much they order

I don't usually do that...some times a 2nd lobster tail...sometimes a different entree if one is bad ...on a 7 night cruise on Liberty I had a 2nd lobster tail and a 2nd entree one night when my chataubriand was too well done and tough....I often had 3 appetizer/first course dishes..salad, an appetizer and a cold soup...my waiter was kind of looney on Liberty but he at least did not act as if the money for the food came out of his pocket

and it was not just me..this waiter was angry if people ordered extras or 2nds and many were very unhappy with him and did complain

I guess I was commenting on the fact that you had a hard time with this waiter and also the waiter on your Liberty cruise. What is the common denominator here? I think if your group were playing musical chairs, it makes it very hard on the waitstaff to meet your expectations. And, if you did have attitude about table arrangements, you're going to get attitude back. And, FYI, I have been on many group cruises and never experienced the difficulties you seem to have endured.

pat

I guess I was commenting on the fact that you had a hard time with this waiter and also the waiter on your Liberty cruise. What is the common denominator here? I think if your group were playing musical chairs, it makes it very hard on the waitstaff to meet your expectations. And, if you did have attitude about table arrangements, you're going to get attitude back. And, FYI, I have been on many group cruises and never experienced the difficulties you seem to have endured.

pat

Also if you look at her other review she refers to this as "Fine Dining" and complained to the staff that the girl put her bread on the wrong plate. Don't get me wrong Carnival dining is pretty good but it is far from what I would consider fine dining.

pat

IF you read my Liberty review, then you would see that it was mostly positive and happy...and the food was very good

the common denominator here is poorly trained, overworked waiters on Carnival IMHO

As far as "Musical Chairs'>> that is a group perk and should not affect anything...any single's cruise company will say the same thing..."assigned area for our group to mix and mingle at dinner"...the first night we sit in assigned seats and get "our" wine ....after that we do move around but that should not affect anything

as the group leader I was one of the few who did NOT move around, I sat in one seat so that 1)members could approach me and 2) carnival staff could approach me...if any had questions, problems, etc

so I had the same (bad) waiter every night...others sat at my table...some of the waiters were better than others but in whole there were few assistants, and the whole "side" lower area where we were stuck was not good

as I said before...with the divorce rate in USA and the likelihood of losing a spouse for older couples some of you might be "single" someday..it is not a bad thing...yet some here act like it is

unlike couples however most of us don't feel all that comfortable being "stuck" at a two top or at a booth for 4 in the back

every singles cruise I have been on gave us large 8 and 10 tops to mingle at...and that is what we were promised here, I had 2 different seating charts from Carnival before the cruise...both were a mix of 8 and 10 tops

then when we boarded we were shocked to discover these ridiculous seating arrangements...maybe some "Milestone" or Platinums bumped us>? I do blame the maitre 'd for this problem

I also blame the group coordinator...the one on Liberty was so much nicer

and ultimately I blame the Hotel Director

Also if you look at her other review she refers to this as "Fine Dining" and complained to the staff that the girl put her bread on the wrong plate. Don't get me wrong Carnival dining is pretty good but it is far from what I would consider fine dining.

I said fine dining sarcastically...the "assistant" on Liberty barely spoke English and was brand new....she was very clueless and kept putting the bread on wrong plates....worst she called all of us "Lady">> and that is where I sarcastically made the remark "fine dining"?

Our main waiter was not great, odd guy....but I did not bother to "report" him for his off color "joke" (?) and odd insulting statements about how I should host a "nude cruise" etc....I also left the standard tips on for that cruise but did not feel obligated to tip extra

this cruise I am not ashamed to say I removed the waiters tip

and I would do it again if I ever have such lousy service

I have also put in complaints while on board and written to Carnival afterwards

and so has my travel agent

some people who were affected by the "stalker" have also filed complaints

the bad dining service was also so bad I reported it

as for "give attitude">> oh please....this was a nightmare to have all these singles seated

at two and four tops....maybe you should learn what you are talking about

amazing how some of you want to pick apart reviews...we need a new site called "cruise critic critics" maybe???

I said fine dining sarcastically...the "assistant" on Liberty barely spoke English and was brand new....she was very clueless and kept putting the bread on wrong plates

Our main waiter was not great, odd guy....but I did not bother to "report" him for his off color "joke" (?) and odd insulting statements about how I should host a "nude cruise" etc....I also left the standard tips on for that cruise but did not feel obligated to tip extra

this cruise I am not ashamed to say I removed the waiters tip

and I would do it again if I ever have such lousy service

I have also put in complaints while on board and written to Carnival afterwards

and so has my travel agent

some people who were affected by the "stalker" have also filed complaints

the bad dining service was also so bad I reported it

as for "give attitude">> oh please....this was a nightmare to have all these singles seated

at two and four tops....maybe you should learn what you are talking about

amazing how some of you want to pick apart reviews...we need a new site called "cruise critic critics" maybe???

I think you would he better suited for a different cruise line such as Celebrity I enjoy CCL as a matter of fact I am hardly in my room except to sleep, so the room stewards I barely see or talk to them.

On your other review you also keep referring to some of the crew who do not speak English very well, you are aware that this is a foreign flagged ship and the crew are mostly foreign right? You could take a cruise on the Mississippi river on one of those hotel barges those have American crews and you should have no trouble with communication.

I think you would he better suited for a different cruise line such as Celebrity I enjoy CCL as a matter of fact I am hardly in my room except to sleep, so the room stewards I barely see or talk to them.

On your other review you also keep referring to some of the crew who do not speak English very well, you are aware that this is a foreign flagged ship and the crew are mostly foreign right? You could take a cruise on the Mississippi river on one of those hotel barges those have American crews and you should have no trouble with communication.

Oh please....I have been on a number of Carnival cruises....and actually I am sad that in the future I may not be cruising with them as much due to their very unsingle friendly rules and policies

we were NOT given the 8 and 10 tops we always get *and were supposed to have

I am not real picky...I was in a situation that actually could have been very dangerous with a person who was allowed to crash our events with "ill intent"...all of the "experts" gave me all this advice on here before I cruised and it amounted to a hill of stinky beans

the arrogant hotel director allowed a milestone member to crash our events

our group identity, integrity and yes even safety was compromised

I say "integrity">> cause if Carnival offers group rates/perks then those perks should be for the group ONLY. Others should not be allowed to crash the events

I host many, many events...NO restaurant or club would let outsiders crash our events...get real

I would not try to crash a wedding...or a group cocktail party....and I would expect Carnival to not allow me

we knew we had a "problem" person bent on doing this..and to my shock and anger and yes fear the Hotel director allowed him to do it

the head of security..and now carnival customer service ..also have all admitted to me that no matter who/how platinum/milestone this guy was he should have never..ever...been allowed to crash our events

and yeah...I think the crew has gotten much worse on Carnival as a whole

less crew members....crew members who speak less English

Thank you for reposting this - I was just starting to read last time when it was gone. There are some of us out here who are interested. :)

I am ashamed by the nasty comments you are getting - CC used to not be like this. Sure, you got that from time to time but these days you are attacked any time you say the slightest negative thing about the mighty Carnival and it's sad. You have every right to post your review.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with the hotel director being at fault. From working in hotels years ago (specifically food & beverage area) I know that management can make all the difference. I actually first noticed the hotel director difference when we had a not-so-great cruise the first time we were on the Victory with unsmiling and rude crew who seemed miserable. Next year, same ship, different hotel director and it was like a whole new world.

Then, a few weeks ago on the Fascination, we had a stellar experience with waiters, bar staff, room stewards, first maitre'd in nine cruises that visited our table every night truly concerned that everything was ok and we were having a good time, the maitre'd was even bussing tables at breakfast on Lido. I give the compliments on that one to a good hotel director and it showed on the faces of his staff.

Not trying to hijack here, but just say that I think you are right on and if the hotel director is bad I can see where your cruise was a mess.

The security issues are inexcusable and I am grossed out by the used sauce off another diner's table - that's just flat out a health hazard and also reflects back on the hotel director ultimately as obviously his staff is not well trained or happy enough to care about doing their jobs well.

Hopefully your next cruise will be much better. :)

Thanks so much VACruiser !

I have really tried very hard to keep this review "objective" rather than just put my own personal feelings and emotions into it

even so some will say it is "my attitude" that caused the waiter/s to do the things they did...

It is especially funny when I remember that I have so many friends who cruise "with" me, through my own social network...I have personally put well over 150 people onto carnival cruises and have been positive about the experience, telling my single friends this is THE best vacation

MY obligation is to them ultimately....I want them to have the best cruise

I felt let down that we did have some problems tho for the most part a good time was had by all. Yes I am looking elsewhere...I have 2 more cruises booked with Carnival..I think now I will turn "Platinum" and then be off to other lines and adventures. Carnival group/booking/single/solo policies will force me into this

I would like to hear from some of the CC group leaders...how would they handle a party crasher or someone intent to cause havoc and problems??

I am also waiting to hear from John Heald..> I know he is busy on Splendor but I feel there are some very real issues here that need to be officially addressed

thanks for "getting it" about the "used" vanilla sauce....I was shocked ...it was such a small dollop, what was left in the pitcher from someone else's dessert..unreal...! Nothing about my "attitude" told that young man to bring over a used pitcher...yuck

Sharecruisers ignore all the cheerleaders. I'm very sorry for the horrible treatment you received on your cruise. I find it funny all these cheerleaders make a post about already reading this in the past, yet they take the time to read it, post and demean you. If they already read it why didn't they move on? answer is they are cheerleaders and can't handle the truth that there precious cruise line MESSED UP. I hope you have a better cruise in the future.

Sharecruisers ignore all the cheerleaders. I'm very sorry for the horrible treatment you received on your cruise. I find it funny all these cheerleaders make a post about already reading this in the past, yet they take the time to read it, post and demean you. If they already read it why didn't they move on? answer is they are cheerleaders and can't handle the truth that there precious cruise line MESSED UP. I hope you have a better cruise in the future.

I don't get it, either. Or they tell you to find another line as if you can't have a good time, enjoy Carnival's product, and still think there are things they could improve or that they could mess up from time to time. Makes no sense to me. A few years ago I a wrote a cruise review that was glowing for the most part but detailed issues with a bad waiter. I actually got a comment insinuating that I must have removed tips.

Sure, we all wonder at those one time posters with nothing but bad things to say, but in spite of the bad, Share has also written about the good here and obviously isn't just trolling for kicks.

Sharecruises:

Thank you for taking the time to post this review...obviously you are passionate about what you do and how you were treated or you wouldn't have take the time to write. I know there are two sides to every story but I really do feel for you. I know how many hours I put into planning my last cruise and I was only in charge of a group of 5 so for all of your work and planning to crumble once on board is disheartening to say the least.

Based on what you are telling us, your group was not taken care of at an appropriate level. The crasher thing is unacceptable and would have everyone on edge, which is NOT what cruising is supposed to be about.

I am single and have always wanted to take a singles cruise...but not so sure now!

Have you sailed the Legend?? We just sailed her and the ship and staff were fantastic!! I can not imagine the maitre d' (Ken) letting the table fiasco happen on the Legend and you would be hard pressed to find as poor of wait staff as you seem to have encountered on the Destiny.

I hope your next cruise is more of a vacation for you :).

Gina

The pictures you posted were beautiful - it is freezing & everything covered with snow where I am. I am looking at those tropical beaches, blues & greens & feeling pretty envious from my butt cold house!

I would be upset too about the crasher. It's clear he was truly up to no good, and unbelievable about the prank phone call his trashy new GF placed to his ex - trying to make her think her daughter was back in the hospital. To anyone who thought you were over-reacting to the presence of this guy - that right there should dispel any leanings toward giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Sorry your cruise was not more pleasant.

The pictures you posted were beautiful - it is freezing & everything covered with snow where I am. I am looking at those tropical beaches, blues & greens & feeling pretty envious from my butt cold house!

I would be upset too about the crasher. It's clear he was truly up to no good, and unbelievable about the prank phone call his trashy new GF placed to his ex - trying to make her think her daughter was back in the hospital. To anyone who thought you were over-reacting to the presence of this guy - that right there should dispel any leanings toward giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Sorry your cruise was not more pleasant.

Hi up in Seattle from down in Salem, Oregon! It's a nice toasty 26 out right now, lol. I am craving a dip in the warm Caribbean sea!!!

Keep warm.

Gina

Hi up in Seattle from down in Salem, Oregon! It's a nice toasty 26 out right now, lol. I am craving a dip in the warm Caribbean sea!!!

Keep warm.

Gina

Let's get out of here. Time for a pina colada in my hand, watch the sea from my balcony & let the turkey cook itself. :)

Archived