Booking your cruise. Any advantage to booking DIRECT with NCL?

wrxrob

Is there any advantage to booking your cruise directly with NCL over using a third party?

I have an employee discount that nets me 10% discount over NCL's best rate at the time of booking. Problem is, I noticed a cruise that I want to take has already gone down about 10% since I started looking. I'm guessing that if I book now with a third party, and the price continues to drop, I probably won't be able to be offered the lower rate through them, as I likely would through NCL.

I recall when booking Vegas hotels, it was always better to go direct, in case you needed to cancel early, and for the lower rate reasons above.

Does it work the same way with cruises?

Is there any advantage to booking your cruise directly with NCL over using a third party?

I have an employee discount that nets me 10% discount over NCL's best rate at the time of booking. Problem is, I noticed a cruise that I want to take has already gone down about 10% since I started looking. I'm guessing that if I book now with a third party, and the price continues to drop, I probably won't be able to be offered the lower rate through them, as I likely would through NCL.

I recall when booking Vegas hotels, it was always better to go direct, in case you needed to cancel early, and for the lower rate reasons above.

Does it work the same way with cruises?

We've booked both ways in the past...

Booking directly allows you to call NCL and ask questions about your reservation at any time, and they will talk to you directly. If you book through another TA then the booking belongs to them and you have to call the TA with questions and generally they contact NCL and get your answers.

Usually most TA's as well as NCL will be able to adjust the cruise price right up until final payment is made without a problem.

I book through a TA. I still continue to monitor the prices as the cruise approaches. If I see something, the TA has been able to get me legitimate reductions before the final payment. I saw a price drop for the Sun a few weeks before our cruise last week. It wasn't enough to worry about . However, when we entered our room after boarding, we had a certificate for a $75 OBC and a bottle of champange waiting. The note said courtesy of our TA. She must have seen the price reduction also and negotiated with NCL for us.

I just noticed that the price of our Pearl inside cabin for July 10 has dropped by $165. Should we call TA now for price reduction, or just wait until we get closer to final payment in April. This will be our first cruise and our first time working with a TA so we're learning the ropes. What's the best way to handle price drops, as they happen or near final payment? Thanks for any advice! :)

I just noticed that the price of our Pearl inside cabin for July 10 has dropped by $165. Should we call TA now for price reduction, or just wait until we get closer to final payment in April. This will be our first cruise and our first time working with a TA so we're learning the ropes. What's the best way to handle price drops, as they happen or near final payment? Thanks for any advice! :)

Call them now, and each time you notice a change...:)

I book through a TA. I still continue to monitor the prices as the cruise approaches. If I see something, the TA has been able to get me legitimate reductions before the final payment. I saw a price drop for the Sun a few weeks before our cruise last week. It wasn't enough to worry about . However, when we entered our room after boarding, we had a certificate for a $75 OBC and a bottle of champange waiting. The note said courtesy of our TA. She must have seen the price reduction also and negotiated with NCL for us.

Sounds like you have a great TA, was he/she your friend?

Mine you pretty much have to track her down which includes multiple emails and she still would not go out of her way. Pretty sure they won't have my business :D

Archived