Formal nights and one year old

savvyria

I am a little nervous about bringing him to eat with us in the main dining room of the Vision only beacuse of past comments about a one year old from our last cruise. At the same time I do not want him stuck in the cabin every night while we eat.

I am purchasing a tux for him for our vow renewal and I think that it would be cute for formal nights.

Any stories or opinions?

There's another thread about this a couple pages back-you might want to do a search and read some suggestions or advice and it will make you feel better- the waiters tend to move the baby's food quicker and they try to make it work out for you- take him- try it. Maybe you have to take him out for "breaks", but it's worth a try. Quiet toys or a book might keep him busy- or cherrios/crackers?:)

my DS was 14 month old when we had our last cruise and i took him to dinner with us in a tux too! practically the whole dinning room commented on how cute he looked. i just made sure that there was plenty of stuff to distract him throughout dinner and we never had to bring him out during dinner. the waiters were quite helpful too!

hope u enjoy ur cruise! ur son won't remember the formal nite but i'm sure u will for years to come!

;)

There will always be some folks who will seem displeased about a young child in the dining room, but many more will say "How cute!" when they see him in a tux. As long as he's not disruptive in the dining room, he'll be fine. I've always found with my kids that the most difficult part of dinner is when they've finished eating - but you haven't. I've gulped down desserts and cups of tea and headed to the lobby or car with child in tow many a time. (Somehow it's always been me, not DH - at least that leaves him to figure out the tip!)

Well we finally made a family decision and here it is...

We are going on the Oct. 9 Explorer of the Seas cruise because it is a big ship and I figure it will be easier to keep Sam entertained. We booked a D1 category, not sure about the cabin but TA recommended between the room, pak n play and Sam we would enjoy a balcony.

Now as for the dining, I have decided to try to get a babysitter around dinner time so that I can bring him to dine with us and then the babysitter can take him if he gets loud etc...this made my very childless sisters happier. I was taking a lot of punches for even bringing him with me!

I am happier about the two days at sea because the Vision has four days and I was wondering what I was going to do with him for four days! Plus my teenage brother will like the Explorer too:D :D :D

I'd say you need to take into account what kind of child you have. My first would sit happily in a highchair for very long periods of time. My second, affectionately referred to as the wild child, would never have made it through a multi course meal.

I say bring him, but be prepared to leave if he isn't having fun, or do the switch off thing with the hubby, one walks, one eats. After all it's a vacation for everyone, big and little...:)

Archived