one week in Costa Rica

2ndsailing

We're going to Costa Rica for a week this winter. Has anyone taken an land based trip in Costa Rica? We don't want to rent a car. We're flying to San Jose and meeting up with our son. We'd like to visit the Poas Volcano and spend some time at the Guanacote coast. Has anyone ever done anything like this? We were in Costa Rica a couple of years ago on a cruise and toured the Atlantic coast so we don't need to do that again.

Thanks for any suggestions.

We had a land based tour to Costa Rica several years ago. We booked a 9-day package with EcoAdventures that covered Tortuguero, Arenal, Monteverde and San Jose. The package included all transportation, all lodges and some guided tours. We were on our own about half of the time. This suited us very well, because we enjoyed exploring on our own. It was a great trip; we enjoyed very much. Their web site is: www dot ecoadventures dot com. They offered many different packages.

We loved Costa Rica. I hope you have a great time. Let me know if you have more questions.

I spent a few weeks there over the course of a year. Costa Rica is an incredible place, and can be very inexpensive! Take some time for a trip to Arenal Volcano and the area around it. If you have a day then stop in at Tabacon Resort and Hot Springs, it is great. The springs are actually man made pools (well most of them) but it looks very natural and the water is all heated by the volcano. Views in the evening are incredible, provided fog is not an issue.

Paos Volcano is interesting, and a fun diversion, but it is not the "typical" volcano with red lava. Arenal volcano is the red lava conical volcano that you drew as a child.

Steve

Rental cars are expensive, but it's one of the best ways to get around and allows you a great deal more freedom. I find Costa Rica is one of those places that is nice to visit but if you slow down and get to know an area and the people it really becomes wonderful.

What type of things do you want to do & see? Do you want activity or kick back and relax? Do you want resorts or go more local? Prices vary greatly. The more "American" you want things the more expensive. Go more local and prices drop dramatically.

Without knowing you I'd say look into Manuel Antonio. It's a 25 minute flight from San Jose to Quepos and then Maneul Antonio is a short ride so it's easy to get to. It's a good place to start if you are not accustomed to going local and want a fun time at the beach and a with howlers to wake you every morning. The park is within walking distance, there are plenty of restaurants and night clubs and the beach is quite nice. Just for fun look up El Avion. I don't recommend staying there but it's fun to visit for a drink and pictures (Eat across the street. It's better and higher classed.)

I love Arenal and it is about a 3 hour drive from San Jose. Tabacan as mentioned is incredible, but then are a dozen+ other resorts in the area and it's hard to go wrong. Where else can you feel the ground shake and hear a volcano belch. My folks really like the north end of the lake. It's much less touristy with a nice view of Volcan Arenal across the lake.

Archived