Ideas for passing time awaiting flight home?

cleobella

Only 2 weeks until our big Hawaii vacation on the POA! When the ship gets back we will likely have to disembark early and wait around until our flight home takes off at 5 pm. Does anyone know if there are some interesting sights around the airport-or beaches to pass the day? Any ideas are welcome!

We got a day room at the Wyland Hotel for $94 and went on a day trip to the Sea Life Park, where we swam with dolphins. I know there are

people who frown on this, but we enjoyed it. The dolphin I swam with

was a former Navy officer who looked for bombs under the Navy ships. Cool!

We usually do one of the ship's excursions with airport transfer. We have to get a ride to the airport anyway and this is an easy way to see some sights and pass the time. There are usually several to pick from depending on when your flight leaves.

We had a 7:40 pm flight so we used Easy Fly on the ship to get our boarding passes and have our luggage sent straight from the ship to the airport.

Friends had booked a room at a hotel in Waikiki since one of them wasn't feeling well and we had a rental car, so the rest of us drove to the North Shore for the day and we had a place to shower and freshen up before getting on a plane. Just staying in Waikiki would have been fun too - we colul have gone to Chinatown (which we missed pre-cruise) or just relaxed at the beach.

Make sure you check out the asian gardens that are located within the airport, grab a

bite to eat, coffee whatever take it and go sit out there. There are some nice pictures worthwhile taking while there as well. Somehow we missed them in 2008, we had never heard them mentioned and we fell upon them in October. It was so quiet out there that I alsmost fell asleep on a bench.

We always do a ships excursion with drop off at the airport no worries with luggage and no endless hours of wandering what to do next

I did that with my Alaska cruise last summer for the first time. If you have a later flight it is a great way to spend the time and get one more port out of the cruise. We took a tour of Seattle and saw more than we ever would have seen on our own. I will plan on doing that from now on when I fly out the day of the cruise. No luggage hassels, either.

For this cruise we are flying out the day after the cruise at 3 PM. So, we will probably just grab some morning beach time before we head out to the airport.:)

Archived