Solstice - what's it really like?

jimiansville

We are from the UK but are spending the winter in our vacation home in Florida and have just booked to sail on the Solstice (E Caribbean) on December 5th. Booked balcony cabin 8124.

We sail a couple of times a year but have never sailed with Celebrity. How does it compare with the large Princess ships (which we love!) in terms of atmosphere and service. Went on Hal Westerdam earlier in the year but found it a little dull in terms of general atmosphere and surroundings but this was balanced out by having a great suite.

Candid comments and comparisons greatly appreciated.

We just did the Western Caribbean on the Solstice in Sept. It was our first cruise with Celebrity. The ship is beautiful, we had an inside room (our first) and it was very large and really nice. I would book an inside room again. The food is only so-so, nothing was like Wow that was great. The entertainment I thought was on a scale of 1-10 a 4. I actually fell asleep during 2 of the shows and we walked out of 1 along with several other people. The one thing I can say is really great is the service. Celebrity sure knows how to treat their passengers. Would we cruise on the Solstice again? Yes if the price was right. Overall it was a nice cruise.

We just returned and it was great. We have been on Princess, NCL, Carnival, Costa and Celebrity was definitely the best. Food was best ever, service best ever, biggest balcony (we had port side 8285 hump balcony -larger than any others we have had).

We did not go to any of the shows so can't comment. The adult only pool area is much quieter and more comfortable with the bedding on all the lounges and they have big (2 person) chairs that you can lay in and look out at the sea, with relaxing music. Not like Carnival that is so noisy all the time. I think you will have an older crowd. We are in our mid 50's and we were probably among the youngest on board but there was not alot of really old people either. There was a few children. A nice crowd though.

You will thoroughly enjoy it.

We were on Solstice two weeks ago. Celebrity and Princess are our favorites. Solstice is sleek and beautiful. Service is exceptional, the best we've seen on any of our nine cruises. Our balcony cabin was very spacious. The bathrooms were designed by women, and it really shows. I particularly loved the showers. Food is good, sometimes great. We loved Murano and Bistro on Five. We were concierge level, which meant we had the expanded breakfast menu for room service. We had breakfast on our balcony every morning. I thought all of the shows were good. The impersonator is hysterical. I would love to sail on her again.

I've never sailed on Princess so I have no comparisons - but I'm chiming in to invite you to the Roll Call board for the Dec. 5 cruise, if you haven't visited already. There are a few folks there who are veteran cruisers and may be able to answer your questions.

Also, we're having a sail-away party after the muster drill, as well as the Celebrity Connections party. Hope to see you there!

Ellen

I sailed my first Celebrity sailing on the Solstice on Sept. 26. Western Caribbean. Thought it was hands down awesome. It wasnt hardcore in-your-face activities. The announcements were very conservative. It feels and reminds me of a boutique hotel.

We taped an episode on there if you're interested in hearing it.

http://cruiseradio.net/radio-shows/episode-56-live-aboard-the-celebrity-solstice/

I've never sailed on Princess so I have no comparisons - but I'm chiming in to invite you to the Roll Call board for the Dec. 5 cruise, if you haven't visited already. There are a few folks there who are veteran cruisers and may be able to answer your questions.

Also, we're having a sail-away party after the muster drill, as well as the Celebrity Connections party. Hope to see you there!

Ellen

Jim

This is a link to get you to our roll call. We are also seasoned Princess cruisers trying Celebrity for the first time so it will be nice to meet you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1126201&page=30

Archived