snorkeling on own question- vest? float?

gatorclaw

We're planning on snorkeling on our own, however I have a concern about the safety of doing it in deeper water.

I snorkeled a few times in a group without a vest and have no problems, but there was always a guide w/ a float 'just in case.'

so the question: what do you do when snorkeling on your own? I really don't like to use a vest but is it careless and dumb not to? Can I rent a little float to use if I get tired, but still have the freedom of no vest?

I think you see where I'm going. Any help would be great. thanks.

I was raised on the water! and live near lakes (which are deep)....for safety sake our rule is a vest....better be safe than sorry. ... and how many times have you ridden the bicycle or motorcycle without a helmet...not smart either!

And I know how to swim...you wouldn't want to get a cramp and go down!

Lou

I bring my own equipment including fins and a vest. Depending on sea conditions and assorted illogical reasoning, I may or may not wear the vest, but it is really no big deal to wear. Just fully deflate it unless/until you need it. If you don't like the crotch strap, cut it off (the strap, that is) or get one without. But it will ride up on you if you ever need it.

If the option is to wear a vest or drag some floaty along, the vest is going to be a lot easier. You don't really need either to rest - it doesn't take much effort to just float and rest, assuming the seas are relatively calm.

Archived