Which Airport EWR or LGA?

wizfourfam

Our cruise ends in the Port of Liberty. I have been told two different things concerning air and transfers. First I was told we would only fly out of EWR (Newark). Then, tonight I was told we could fly out of EWR (Newark) or LGA (Laguardia), transfers were available. So who do I believe? LOL More direct flights out of LGA to DTW, cheaper air. I just don't want to be forced to deal with taxis if they actually only provide transfers to EWR. Any advice?

They will likely sell transfers to LGA (and probably JFK too). Cape Liberty is only a few minutes to EWR, and the transfer to LGA is probably a lot more expensive. If you let RCI book your air, you can end up at any of the NYC airports. You could probably have done better booking your own air from Detroit, but if you felt better booking with the cruise line, that's no problem.

Dan,

We have considered booking our own air since LGA is now an option (yes, transfers are a little more money). We would fly in the day before the cruise and factor in the added expense of hotel and meals for 3. The total savings are not that great at this late date. I am trying to avoid long flight times and connections, as well as the baby jets!

I am contacting Royal Caribbean custom air department and asking a bunch of questions. Hopefully they can help.

Usually the cruise line charges an additional fee to book flights the day before. They are also known for connections, although from Detroit, the odds are probably less. I would price it out on Spirit, and see how that compares with what RCI is quoting you, with the air deviation fee tacked in.

We decided to go with Custom Air. We were scheduled to fly nonstop to MIA and on a connecting flight back home from Newark (one segment was on a baby jet) arriving late.

Asked about changing the flight out of Newark to a nonstop on NWA and was told it was not a problem for the air deviation fee. They were also able to change the flight to Miami as well to a nonstop NWA for no additional fees. We will be able to get credit for frequent flyer miles!

I have been watching these same flights for MANY weeks, and couldn't/wouldn't book them myself...just wayy too much money. Overall I am pleased....and wouldn't hesitate to try custom air again. I now have the flights I wanted, transfers and it's all insured!

Woohoo! Can't wait to cruise!

Archived