Unfortunate dining room experience for solo cruiser on Majesty of the Seas

Ldyandrea

All of the major cruiselines are trying to attract new customers nowadays and shed the customary perception of cruising, which is that cruising is very regimented and planned-out. MTD is just one example of how RCI is trying to accomplish this goal.

The point here is not that the OP was wrong in asking to switch dining times--it is that this is a fairly simple and common request, made for one special night due to special circumstances--and the head waiter made her feel less important and unwelcomed. I am sure that RCI would not want to be branded as the cruiseline with the slogan, "Adhere strictly to the rules or go to the buffet." It is not unreasonable to ask for simple accommodations while on vacation, and especially on Thanksgiving when you are travelling by yourself.

It is certainly possible, as the OP acknowledges, that the head waiter did not realize what he was doing and how he was making the OP feel. That being said, it seems like the OP's complaint has more to do with how she was treated and spoken to. The head waiter's comments and explanations were unacceptable, and RCI should take note of this startling breakdown in customer service.

What I dont understand from everyone is MY TIME DINING HAS NO SET TIME . If something hapened and she couldnt make her fixed time dining which is what she said whats the problem waiting for anytime dining . That is what I was told to do by the head of the restrants when I asked about getting in late for my 1st MDR dining at 6:00 . She isnt doing it everyday , I also thought you can switch to anytime dining if you wanted . I still dont see problem with this . She didnt insist on eating 1 hr late at the fixed dining she went to anytime dining . If she was willing to wait for a open seat at anytime dining I dont see any problem . There is usually someone who went to another restrante { Chops , Portofino , Or the buffet . ] so if there is empty seat whats the diference . Were paying to eat on a cruise so sometimes something hapens . I just read the original post and I still think the waiter or materdee should have acomidiated her . Any time dining means that anytime dining . Keep the passengers happy they are paying to eat and enjoy themselves . CARL

Maybe I am missing something here and if so I apologize, however, the OP states she went to the early dining at 7 o'clock (1 hour late) to try to be seated. No where does she state she went to My Time Dining.

While I am sorry the head waiter made the OP uncomfortable, I still feel she was asking too much in wanting to be accommodated on her schedule.

My Time Dining is often waitlisted and some passengers are not even able to get in - they must adhere to Traditional dining or dine elsewhere.

If everyone thought they were special and could change their dining assignment, the dining room would be facing some constant issues.

Sorry I still can't agree with the OP.

Maybe I am missing something here and if so I apologize, however, the OP states she went to the early dining at 7 o'clock (1 hour late) to try to be seated. No where does she state she went to My Time Dining.

The dining room I was assigned to was the same dining room as MTD on that ship.

For the record, and those who saw my post over on the RCL board, I included exactly the same details as I did here. Whether people actually read them before providing their "thoughtful" comments, I certainly cannot say.

Many seem to have missed the point I was trying to make that this had less to do with the Traditional versus MTD, than it did with the fact that after encountering this same guy twice in one day, I felt as though he didn't seem to value a solo passenger as much as those who travel in groups or families.

Yes, I get that traditional dining is different. This was my first experience with it, and I doubt I'll be doing so again. I get that I was asking them to make an accomodation for me because I had a conflict with something else I wanted to do that evening. I GET IT. But apparently, those on the RCL board all up and had a case of the vapors because I dared to go to the dining room where they also had MTD, and ask very politely if it was possible to eat early. Heaven forfend.

While I consistently post with respect, and common courtesy to any and all on these boards, I will admit to my patience being sorely tried by those who jumped all over me, calling me a spoiled brat, a liar, and indicating that this incident just demonstrated that it's no wonder I'm single, since I didn't have a SO to "check" my emailing and posting, and I'm apparently so uncompromising that I couldn't possibly have a relationship anyway. (FYI, to the credit of the board mods, the thread was finally locked to further flames....er, comments, and the more incindiery posts were deleted, I am guessing also by the mod.) I did not respond to those comments, since it's obvious that they were just looking for an excuse to have a flame war versus having a civil dialogue. Seriously? Some people need to try the de-caf.

I will also say there were indeed those who were as taken aback as I was over the nasty and sometimes hostile responses, and offered their support.

But I digress....

Had I simply been told by the head waiter it wasn't doable, that would have been fine, but the head waiter kept talking about how there were so many "families" that it wasn't feasible. An opinion, by the way, that was seemingly contradicted by the Maitre 'd, the Manager of Guest Services, and the representative of Executive Guest Relations (who called me last evening to follow up on my email, I'll get to that in a follow up comment), who all were very surprised that their head waiter could not find a spot for one lone diner, even if I was scheduled to eat at another time.

In any case, many on this forum seemed to understand the point I was trying to discuss, which is that there are those who do not treat solo travellers, particularly women who travel alone, with the same level of customer service and general respect as other passengers who travel in more traditional groups of couples or families. I appreciated those who shared their own experiences, and it really did start a good conversation about how solo travellers have varying experiences in different situations on and off cruise ships.

This was the conversation I was trying to start by posting my experience in the first place. For those who want to continue to beat the dead horse regarding the rules of traditional dining, I'm sure there are many other threads on these boards that will offer conversation specifically on that subject. Feel free to avail yourself of them. :cool:

All of the major cruiselines are trying to attract new customers nowadays and shed the customary perception of cruising, which is that cruising is very regimented and planned-out. MTD is just one example of how RCI is trying to accomplish this goal.

The point here is not that the OP was wrong in asking to switch dining times--it is that this is a fairly simple and common request, made for one special night due to special circumstances--and the head waiter made her feel less important and unwelcomed. I am sure that RCI would not want to be branded as the cruiseline with the slogan, "Adhere strictly to the rules or go to the buffet." It is not unreasonable to ask for simple accommodations while on vacation, and especially on Thanksgiving when you are travelling by yourself.

It is certainly possible, as the OP acknowledges, that the head waiter did not realize what he was doing and how he was making the OP feel. That being said, it seems like the OP's complaint has more to do with how she was treated and spoken to. The head waiter's comments and explanations were unacceptable, and RCI should take note of this startling breakdown in customer service.

Thank you, this was exactly the point I was trying to make. :)

Good for you for writing a letter. Please be sure to post again if and when you receive a response back. I would love to hear how they handle this.

I got an email yesterday afternoon back from RCL, less than 24 hours after I sent my original email to them.

Thank you for writing to Mr. Richard Fain’s office regarding your sailing on the Majesty of the Seas. Your email was carefully reviewed and has been directed to my attention to respond on Mr. Fain’s behalf.

I would be happy to discuss with you your concerns regarding the head waiter. Please feel free to contact me, or provide me with the best number and time to reach you at your earliest convenience at the following:

I did end up speaking with the designated contact on the phone last evening, and relayed my concerns, which concentrated on the treatment of solo passengers versus those who travel in groups.

The rep I spoke with was really teriffic, and she encouraged me to provide her with as much information as I could about my experience that day.

I did so, and I indicated this wasn't something I wanted to anyone to get fired or reprimanded over, by any means. With their new focus on marketing more to solo travellers, I felt that perhaps it was just a matter of being conscious that they were offering the same level of service to solos, since I didn't necessarily think that the head waiter's actions (or lack thereof) were done on purpose. I mentioned that I had communicated with some other solo travellers online, and that one had even indicated they were concerned about their upcoming Christmas cruise they had planned on one of the RCL ships, and what kind of reception they could expect as a solo passenger.

I also made sure to mention some of the specific crew members who I felt really had gone out of their way to make sure I did have a great cruise. I also assured her that overall, my experience on the cruise was a good one, and I had every intention of coming back in the future.

I did also ask if she had any more information regarding the ships being upgraded that were going to be changed to include cabins for solo passengers (like what fare level would be charged for those, etc), but she said that the interview where that information came from just happened so recently that they didn't have any more particulars just yet.

We talked for a few more minutes, she said she would provide my feedback to the appropriate people in the company, and that was that.

I'm glad they got back to me at all, but am very glad it was so prompt. It's good to know that they take customer feedback seriously, and I am looking forward to seeing what with the new solo cabins might include. :)

Guess you all missed the thread yesterday where the OP shared more details but she left them out here because she didn't get a favorable response so thought she'd try her luck with a slightly different story.

Um....NO.

I provided the same exact post, and while follow-up conversation may not have included all the same dialogue as the thread on the RCL board, my "story" has not changed at all. You don't have to change a story when you're already telling the truth in the first place.

For those who wish to read it (someone else had asked for it), the original thread is here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1315848

In contrary to your assertion, btw, that I was posting here because I didn't get a "favorable" response, please note that I posted this to the Solo Cruisers forum before anyone had even commented over on the RCL thread. I felt that the subject matter would be relevant to this particular forum, as well as the RCL forum.

This isn't a case of a cruiseline treating a solo cruiser poorly. This is a case of a cruiser wanting the cruiseline to bend the rules solely for her and getting upset when they won't.

Say what you like, but since I was the one who had the experience (and I'm assuming you weren't hiding in the nearby potted plant to observe the exchange that evening), I'm pretty sure that I'm in a better position to say what I felt the issue was that day than you are.

What's more, I didn't say that the entire cruiseline treated me, as a solo cruiser, poorly. I indicated that one member of the crew did....many others of the crew were outstanding, which actually may have served to highlight this particular head waiter's lack of customer service towards a solo traveller by contrast.

I actually disagree that companies will disregard a letter. While you definitely did the right thing to complain onboard, sending a letter and putting your complaint in writing is probably the best thing you can do after the fact. I have written letters to hotels, restaurants, etc. that I have had unfortunate encounters with, and I have almost always received at the very least a response letter, if not some type of compensation.

Please let us know what, if any, response you get from RCI.

Well, you were very correct. They responded to me in less than 24 hours, and I just posted above regarding the conversation I had on the phone last night with one of their Exec Guest Relations reps.

Thanks!

I have noticed on some of these boards that some posters act like they own the co. I do own quite a bit of stock when it was $6.00 A share . Some people get real upset iv noticed if you make any unfaverable coment about their favorite cruise line . Me I say things as I see them . I dont care what some of these people think as I go on my favorie 4 cruise lines and I mainly go with who gives me the best price and itenary I want . Some people seem to think of a paticular crise line as their pet dog . Dont you dare kick it . Me I post as I see it . If everyone posts only the good and not the bad who really knows what to expect . Some people on these boards Ive found are way too defensive in guarding what people think . Lighten up and listen to the good and the bad , I Do . CARL

I got an email yesterday afternoon back from RCL, less than 24 hours after I sent my original email to them.

Thank you for writing to Mr. Richard Fain’s office regarding your sailing on the Majesty of the Seas. Your email was carefully reviewed and has been directed to my attention to respond on Mr. Fain’s behalf.

I would be happy to discuss with you your concerns regarding the head waiter. Please feel free to contact me, or provide me with the best number and time to reach you at your earliest convenience at the following:

I did end up speaking with the designated contact on the phone last evening, and relayed my concerns, which concentrated on the treatment of solo passengers versus those who travel in groups.

The rep I spoke with was really teriffic, and she encouraged me to provide her with as much information as I could about my experience that day.

I did so, and I indicated this wasn't something I wanted to anyone to get fired or reprimanded over, by any means. With their new focus on marketing more to solo travellers, I felt that perhaps it was just a matter of being conscious that they were offering the same level of service to solos, since I didn't necessarily think that the head waiter's actions (or lack thereof) were done on purpose. I mentioned that I had communicated with some other solo travellers online, and that one had even indicated they were concerned about their upcoming Christmas cruise they had planned on one of the RCL ships, and what kind of reception they could expect as a solo passenger.

I also made sure to mention some of the specific crew members who I felt really had gone out of their way to make sure I did have a great cruise. I also assured her that overall, my experience on the cruise was a good one, and I had every intention of coming back in the future.

I did also ask if she had any more information regarding the ships being upgraded that were going to be changed to include cabins for solo passengers (like what fare level would be charged for those, etc), but she said that the interview where that information came from just happened so recently that they didn't have any more particulars just yet.

We talked for a few more minutes, she said she would provide my feedback to the appropriate people in the company, and that was that.

I'm glad they got back to me at all, but am very glad it was so prompt. It's good to know that they take customer feedback seriously, and I am looking forward to seeing what with the new solo cabins might include. :)

I'm glad they got back to you so quickly, and you are satisfied with their response. Your story sounds like one a cruiseline like NCL (freestyle) would use to show how freestyle cruising really is so different from the rest of the lines. RCI would probably want to disagree and argue that RCI customers have as much choice as NCL. I love RCI, but people who do not want a strict regiment and schedule and want to have some flexibility might be weary about RCI after hearing your tale--especially solo travellers.

Best of luck, and hopefully everyone on here can keep it civil from now on.

Archived