BCN Questions on port, car rentals, and driving to France

foxesden1

We arrive in on RCCL LOS on the 16th of April. We have rented a villa in France for a week and plan to pick up a car rental right away. we will have three roller duffle bags, two backpacks and a 5 year old child with us.

How does disembarking go? What time do most people leave by? where will our baggage be? Do we have to walk a far way? Take a shuttle? How easy is it to get a taxi to the airport?

Thanks

T

We arrive in on RCCL LOS on the 16th of April. We have rented a villa in France for a week and plan to pick up a car rental right away. we will have three roller duffle bags, two backpacks and a 5 year old child with us.

How does disembarking go? What time do most people leave by? where will our baggage be? Do we have to walk a far way? Take a shuttle? How easy is it to get a taxi to the airport?

Thanks

T

When disembarking you'll get a choice of either bringing the luggage on your own (fastest) or using ship's service which involves picking the luggage tags for a specific time slot, leaving luggage outside your cabin the night before and then collecting it in the port terminal. There is paid shuttle to port entrance and metro and also lots of taxis. Not sure what your plan is but why would you need to go to the airport to collect your car? There are locations in the city and possibly even near the port.

Because we do not want to drive in a large city, and then I want to avoid a drop off at a different location.

It's entirely up to you but usually city rentals are cheaper (no airport fees). Also there should not be extra charges for airport drop off. If airport is your final choice then take a taxi there; fastest and easiest option.

I can understand your logic, but BCN & France are in different directions - your satnav may even direct you back past the port !!!

And if rental returns at BCN are anything like other airports, finding your way out won't help when it comes to finding your way back in.:confused:

Worth re-considering?

And do make sure the rental company knows you'll be driving into France - it affects the insurance cover, and will cost just a very few bucks more.

John Bull

Either of those locations are downtown Barcelona thus defeating a bit your wish not to drive in city! I live not far from Barca and think I know it quite well but I wouldn't want to drive those areas! Sounds like your airport pickup is the best bet. As JB says you must let them know you are taking the car into france, though.

Archived