Future Cruise Certificates only for credit card holders?

rdler

On November 10th on the Miracle, I bought two certificates for myself and one for a friend (who wasn't even WITH me :eek:) using only our two S&S cards. I ran down there right before they closed the desk and all I took was my drink and our two S&S cards. She stayed at the pool. :)

The rep never asked about a credit card. The certificates were delivered to our cabins that evening and they were charged to my AmEx as a separate charge on the same date that my S&S bill posted. Hers was posted to her credit card used for her S&S also.

I suppose if we hadn't had credit cards on file when they went to issue the certificates, we wouldn't have gotten them at all. I just find it odd that I wasn't even asked about one. In fact, she did nothing more than write our names and folio numbers on a piece of paper.

Okay, so next time I take a cruise, my policy in the dining room is that all food and drinks must be brought to me in soup bowls. Why? I don't know. It's just a policy, that's why. Cause I'm not set up to handle glasses and dinner plates and forks and spoons.

We should all invent nonsensical policies, borrowing from Alice in Wonderland and Carnival. If you want to make a purchase on board, you must use your sail and sign card. Unless you want to make a FCC purchase on board, in which case you must use a credit or debit card, which by the way, you may not use to make any other purchase on board. For that, you must use your sail and sign card...

Yikes.

I'm sure it's just much easier for Carnival to deal with refunding credit cards that it would be to refund cash. Also, using credit cards creates a verifiable paper trail. If they were forced to send some refunds in the form of cash (via check, of course), then I'm sure there would be people cashing those checks and then telling Carnival they never received their check, someone must have stolen it and cashed it, and to send another. By limiting their refunds to credit only, Carnival is not susceptible to this type of scam.

Also, I cannot understand people who do not have at least one credit card. What happens in an emergency situation? How do you rent a car or book a hotel? Do you just carry thousands of dollars worth of cash around with you all the time? Using a credit card does not mean going into debt. Just use it responsibly - only charge what you can afford and then pay it off in full every month. If you get a card without an annual fee and you pay it off in full, then it does not cost you a cent more than paying in cash.

Archived