2 Carry-on Bags

1937olds

There are a lot of good tips here, take the ones that work for you, or, don't even take any - as we've said all along, it's your choice. Just enjoy yourself.

One of the most helpful tips stated here & elsewhere is to start with a packing list. Since a cruise is quite different than a trip through Europe, or a driving trip through New England, the list will obviously be different - duhh :)

Here's how I packed for our upcoming 10 day cruise, and, BTW, my DW does not in any way subscribe to my approach to packing for a cruise. I don't get into heated discussions about this with her, and, I actually do carry one of her bags to/from the Airport terminal, and, I wait in the baggage area for her checked bag(s).

What I found valuable in creating my packing list was to sit down with the itinerary and plan out what I thought I would actually wear on the 10 day cruise. I listed what I would wear for dinner, guessing on how many will be in the MDR. I did this quite soon after booking the cruise to allow time for modifications. Then I would come back to it periodically and modify it. Over time I had what I thought was a reasonable list. Actually, I have a 'must-have' and 'nice to have' list, the trial packing helps in selecting what to bring.

After that I trial packed my list, just to see what would fit. If it all fits, then I'm good to go. If not, I need to either take stuff out, or, get a bigger bag and not do carryon (this is not a religion people). Once in awhile I bring my Tux, in which case I know I'm bringing a garment bag - I still use a packing list though. One other thing, we usually cruise with 2-3 other couples that we met cruising years ago, we hang out during the day and eat dinner together, so they do see what I wear, and, I do respect them (and myself) enough to dress nicely. However, I doubt any of us are keeping a scorecard of what has been worn throughout the cruise, if I wear the same clothes 2-3 times throughout the cruise, who cares, as long as they are clean and don't wreak (sending laundry out is a nice option, it's not outrageously expensive, and is less than checking a bag if you're tracking your spending).

My standard disclaimer applies:

Feel free to criticize my ideas, make suggestions, even ignore me, BUT, please don't get personal and say things like I don't respect myself or others (little poke). We're just trying to suggest ways to pack lighter. I realize that these ideas do not work for others, like my DW, I love her dearly, yet, I would never, ever tell her how to pack. But, I will tote her luggage... (Maybe that is why I pack light, so I can carry hers).

Just finished packing for our upcoming 10 nights on the Equinox, one 21" rollaboard, with a small backpack.

3 dress shirts (wear one)

2 Tommy Bahama shirts

3 Polo (lightweight PGA Golf shirts)

3 ties

2 pair black slacks (wear one)

1 black suit coat

1 pair slipon dress shoes (wear)

4 pairs lightweight socks (wear one)

4 pairs lightweight Exofficio underwear (wear one) , I wash them when I'm in the shower

1 pair flipflops

5 lightweight t-shirts (Target C9)

4 misc t-shirts from various places

3 pair swim trunks

2 pair walking shorts

1 Tilley Hat

1 cap

2 'water wallets'

Misc items, toothbrush, razor

Backpack (which I'll use on port days) contains:

1 pair water sandals

1 waterproof cigar box with 10 tasty cigars and a cutter.

Camera, charger, extra battery & memory stick

Solar charger battery/light

Kindle 3 & charger

iPhone & charger

3-1-1 bag with deodorant, toothpaste, shaving cream, hand sanitizer, sunscreen.

1st aid/emergency kit (Tom Bihn wallet - small zipper pouch)

They key is lightweight clothing when possible, all are wrinkle free (except for the Tommy Bahama shirts). I also wear 'formal' slacks, shirt & shoes on the flight down. Barring a spill, I'll change after I check-in to the hotel, and, the clothes are good to wear at least once more. If I need to, I'll send laundry out.

Again, saving money is NOT the reason, peace of mind and easy of moving in the airport is.

And, again - I'm not trying to talk other people into doing this, just showing that it's possible.

Enjoy :)

Wow. I am really impressed. Come on man. You have two pairs of slacks for a 10-night cruise. Do you wear the same clothes to work every day too? Why take two pairs of black pants. One would be find and no one could tell the difference.

Wow. I am really impressed. Come on man. You have two pairs of slacks for a 10-night cruise. Do you wear the same clothes to work every day too? Why take two pairs of black pants. One would be find and no one could tell the difference.

LOL! Do you keep notes on what everyone on the ship wears on a day-to-day basis or just score a sample? :D:p

I thought the list was pretty good, and FWIW CruiseVA actually packs a little more than I do.....

I could probably get away with just the one pair, but, hey, I'm on Holiday, so I'm living it up a little :)

(I could be like Steve Jobs, wear a black turtleneck, jeans and sneakers everyday)

I travel without checked bags simply because I don't like dragging luggage around, checking luggage, tracking down lost luggage, putting luggage out in the hall the night before, etc. I am certainly not "trying to prove" anything-- instead, I am improving my own experience. Nor I am trying to avoid luggage charges (been carryon only since I was a 20 year old flight attendant).

In the end, I think the "take everythings" will simply never understand the "take only what is truly needed" and vice versa. I see people with there three massive bags and think they are nuts! They see me with roller bag and figure I wash out panties everynight and have no formal attire (both false).

Archived