ALaska - mid september

Frankie Sue

The only drawback with going in September is that the days are shorter. But I've gone in September several times and again this year... we usually go on one of the last cruises of the season, which makes for fantastic shopping:D, and so far have had good to great weather each time. Last year was fantastic, warm and sunny all week. But at the worst you'll get some rain and need to wrap up a bit while cruising Glacier Bay.

We did Zuiderdam's last week in Alaska last year. I don't remember the dates. The weather was gorgeous. A little cool, but sunny for Juneau and Skagway. It drizzled in Ketchikan, but it wasn't bad and it wasn't cold. Alaska weather is so unpredictable that I'm afraid to do another Alaska cruise--I may never have such perfect weather there again! All the locals kept telling us how lucky we were with the weather.

We did the bike ride to Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, followed by a beer tasting. I recommend the train ride in Skagway for stunning scenery and some interesting history. We wandred Ketchikan on our own. The creek there was full of salmon.

And yes, there was lots of end-of-season bargainhunting going on, especially in Skagway.

We're also planning a september Alaska cruise. Check out this video that we found which was filmed on September 2010:

Thank You!!! Thank You!!! Thank You for posting this YouTube Link!! We are leaving on Zuiderdam on September 10th for 2 weeks on her to Alaska and you have just made my day!!! Hell, You've made my YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just as an aside, September 22 is supposed to be the next best time to see the Aurora Borealis. That night we will be departing Ketchikan and hope to have a Deck Party:)

Joanie

I am looking at an itinerary for Alaska in mid september. Would that be an O.K time to cruise Alaska? and any suggestions on what excursions would be good?

Our Alaska cruise departed 9/18 for 7 days. The weather was pretty good, high 60s - low 70s for most of the cruise. We 2 days of a light misty rain. Tracy Arm had a chilly wind while we were there.

:)

I've done Alaska in September and I've done Alaska in May. I think I preferred Alaska in May. There was still snow on the ground, affording that "winter wonderland" effect. However, the prices in September were cheaper, and the shopping was better. The weather in May was cold; the weather in September was WET. It rained nearly every day of our September cruise in 2002. We were told, however, that the prior week had been sunny and lovely ... so ... as has already been stated, there are never any guarantees.

Climate is what you expect, weather is what you get. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Hi there,

We are booked on the Zuiderdam 10th Sept 2011 for 7 night cruise our first time to Canada & Alaska, we are from Western Australia therefore are not used to cold weather. From reading looks like we do need some warm clothes & maybe thermals. Is anyone else going on the same cruise?:)

We are also going to be on this same cruise (but staying on for the following week also:) We havea Roll Call going here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1249759

I LOVE ALASKA and just like any other place on earth, the weather is totally unpredictable, so we prepare for all. We dress in layers in the mornings so that we can peel them off as the weather warms up.

It can start off as a miserable day and end up so gloriously beautiful:)

OK, nuff babbling from me, looking forward to meeting up with all our fellow CC members!!

Joanie

Archived