Arthur Frommer on Cruise Bargains in January

cheffip

Travel guru Arthur Frommer wrote in his blog last week that there will be some fantastic bargains in cruises from Florida this winter. Let's hope that translates into great deals for solo travellers as well. Here's an excerpt from his blog:

0a8b279e-c615-4428-8dfa-a5fc718db403.Small.jpg Some 90,000 Cruise Ship Berths Out of Florida This January Will Slash Their Rates to Attract Passengers

Posted by Arthur Frommer at 11/24/2010 11:00 AM EST

Yesterday, I wrote that the bottom had fallen out of hotel pricing in Orlando, Florida, for the month of January. Today, I'm finding the same phenomenon with respect to one-week cruises of the Caribbean leaving from Florida ports in January. What a buyers' market! What a glut!

And why? Well two giant new ships -- Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas --will themselves be offering no fewer than 12,000 berths a week that need to be filled. The new Norwegian Epic will add 4,000 more. Move then to more than two dozen other large ships adding a total of nearly 80,000 more berths, and you find more than 90,000 berths a week chasing for passengers -- an unprecedented number in an economy that isn't the greatest.

The result: prices for inside cabins as low as $299 per person for a seven-night sail of the Caribbean. If you were ever looking for a cheap week at sea, in tropical weather, here's your chance.

Being a solo cruiser, those $299 to $399 deals are affordable. Just came off a 7 day cruise and only could afford the single supplement of 100% because the cruise was only $349 pp. The lowest pp rate make the having to pay 200% affordable. Will keep on cruising as long as these low rates exist. I don't mind traveling off season as it usually means less kids on the boats which is a big plus. I usually go in lat Oct and Nov as the rates are very low then also.

Happy Cruising.

Archived