Beginner question

cmood

Hi All,

Family will be on our first time cruise in two weeks. Very excited also nervous much. Boys(age 5,10,15) would like to do snorkeling in Cozumel. Quesitons are : 1. we don't have any snorkeling equipment except swimming suit. shall we buy before disembarkment.

2. for 5 years old non-swimmer, will it be safe to try snorkeling?

3. Also, do we need to put on insect-repellent?

Many thank for any inputs

CMood

I love to snorkel. We bought our own snorkels just because of the whole sanitizing thing. We do rent vests and fins. You will have to be the judge on the 5 yr old. As a non swimmer, I would say no. My 5 yo GD is a good swimmer. I would only let her go in the shallow areas. Repellent won't be needed.

If you are going to Chank, they have snorkeling equipment you can rent for a nominal fee. You can do some really good snorkeling right from the beach.

When my sons were younger (about the same age range as yours) we did our first snorkeling... wasn't a problem at all, and we had a blast.

Highly recommend that you get everyone the snorkeling vests. I didn't think that was really necessary until we got in the water and I found out what a difference it made... and it's just a good safety precaution for the kids.

Few years ago when I took my wife and friends to Hawaii cruise, I got everyone snorkeling gears, and went to a swimming pool to practice a couple of times. It really helped to get eveyone comfortable and prepared.

I like having our own gears, especially snorkel. You'll be putting it in your mouth.

Having your own gear will give you all a chance to practice. This will be important expecially with your 5 yo. It took me several snorkel trips before really enjoyed it. Had I practiced with the mask and snorkel, there would have been less water leaking into my mask, less whining from me, and much more snorkeling fun;)

for 5 years old non-swimmer, will it be safe to try snorkeling?

In very very shallow water under close and immediate supervision .... maybe

Children drown in buckets of water and bathtubs with 1 inch of water ....

long time life guard sends . . .

People who can not swim should never enter water deeper than their ankles, and then under supervision.

5 year old who can not swim...I would highly suggest against it. Most of the beachs there have waves/currents and as mentioned above it only takes small amount of water for a child to slip under. Also with snorkeling if they get water into their snorkel and not know how to clear it out...they could fill their lungs full of sea water....not good.

As far as buy or rent...I would at the least buy the snorkels. Personally I wouldnt want to put a snorkel into my mouth that 100 others have used. Most cruise lines even sell some cheapy throw away ones on the ship for 5 bucks. BUT I would recommend buying them in advance...and like others mentioned, use them in the pool or even bath tub to get use to having your face underwater and breathing. Some people take to it without any issues while others have a hard time getting past the mental block of breathing while having their face submerged.

Ok heres my opinion.

two older boys should have their own equipment. Quick trip to Wally Mart Target or Dicks Sporting pick up a $30 US Diver mask & Snorkel. Why, because they are going to have a blast in each port just doing shore dives while you enjoy sitting on the beach. Cheap investment for a ton of fun.

5 Year Old. If he can't swim, then he can't swim. Don't take him on a Snorkeling Trip. But I would get him a float Suit, http://www.houseofscuba.com/kids-float-suits/kids2.html , Mask and snorkel so he can start learning on the beach. It won't take long.

My son started at 5 and loves to snorkel. It is now one of our families favorite activities.

Archived