Best place to see Oasis sailaway

Ok, when I get to the park, what area do you head to view the ships leaving the port area?

Is there a fee for parking?

Since they normally leave close to 5 p.m. and that's right around sunset, how safe is the park area during this time? Do you have a large group watching the ships heading out?

Here's a link to John U Lloyd Park. http://www.floridastateparks.org/lloydbeach/ It's a state park so there is an entrance fee but well worth the cost. It's a bit tricky to find but if you use Google Maps, you can print out the route. By far, it's the best place to watch the ships. You'll get a completely unobstructed view. When you go in, follow the main road all the way to the end. That's the best spot.

Here's a link to John U Lloyd Park. http://www.floridastateparks.org/lloydbeach/ It's a state park so there is an entrance fee but well worth the cost. It's a bit tricky to find but if you use Google Maps, you can print out the route. By far, it's the best place to watch the ships. You'll get a completely unobstructed view. When you go in, follow the main road all the way to the end. That's the best spot.

Thanks for the link!

But again how safe is this park around the time the ships leave? I'm guessing be there between 4:45 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Thanks for the link!

But again how safe is this park around the time the ships leave? I'm guessing be there between 4:45 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.

It's absolutely safe. It's patrolled by park rangers. I take my grandkids there every time I'm in Florida. Don't worry about it. You'll be fine.

Is there a restaurant in the Harbor Shops area that would have a view of the ship leaving? Or possibly another restaurant in the area that would have good viewing spots?

The only one that readily comes to mind is in the Hyatt on the intracoastal waterway Pier 66. I don't know if the restaurant has any views though.

I prefer the view from Ft Lauderdale Beach rather than John Llyod. It's on the other side of the port entrance/exit for ships.

Unfortunately it isn't the easiest spot to get to. Either parking is minimal to none or you park down by Yankee Clipper and walk south for 20 minutes to the rocks at the port.

A Port Everglades facing balcony at the Tower of Hyatt Pier 66 Hotel. We always watch the ships sail from there and the view is unbeatable. :)

There used to be a roof top revolving bar on that tower that permitted folks to come up and watch ships sail, but it is now for private events only.

Thanks for everyone suggestions!

After checking into the hotel, placed the directions to John Lloyd park in my GPS and off I went.

Got a great spot at the railing. Plenty of great photos and a short video of the Oasis.

There were quite a few people about wanting to do the same thing.

The ranger came around about 5:10 p.m. and announced that at 5:30 p.m. the gate for the park will close and if you were not out by then, a nice night stay will occur.

Got out the park with 5 minutes to spare after taking my photos.

There were at least five to six other ships about to leave. Only viewed them from a distance when I went to the Candy Cane Parade.

This site would be great in the summer when the sun don't set until rather late.

But thanks again to everyone!!!

Archived