Dolphin encounter? Grand Caymen or Conzumel?

G2369

We did the one in Cozumel in January '07 and had a blast! We did the one with 2 dolphins where they work together to do a fin pull and a foot push. I don't think I've ever seen my wife smile so big (and we had been married almost 28 years at that point).

CozumelDolphinDiscovery019.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We did the one in Chankanaab in Cozumel in August and loved it. We actually booked directly through dolphin discovery because it was cheaper than the ship and gave us more options. We are trying the one in Grand Cayman next week, so I'll report back.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Dolphin Swim at Chankanaab in Coz back in 07 and it was excellent, as was the entire marine park there. Very reasonable. I don't know if I would bother with just the encounter...in most cases you don't get much interaction with those. After the various things we did with the dolphins in the swim, we also got to snorkel with them. The whole day was very enjoyable.

It was my understanding that your couldn't contact and book directory through Dolphin Discovery if you are coming from one of the ships.? How did you get around it?

Thanks

\

We did the one in Chankanaab in Cozumel in August and loved it. We actually booked directly through dolphin discovery because it was cheaper than the ship and gave us more options. We are trying the one in Grand Cayman next week, so I'll report back.

It is true you can no longer book directly with Chankanaab for the dolphin swims. It was about a month ago when that changed. I just tried for our trip in March as my daughter did the Royal Dolphin Swim last year and loved it and we are going back with my other daughter this year who also wanted to do it. It is about 80.00 more with Carnival. of course they do provide the transportation, but still it was only about 10,00 for the taxi.

So you did or your didn't book the dolphin swim thru them directly? I talked to them today they told me that I could book with them as long as I don't mention the cruise ship. I wouldn't be covered for cancelation.

It is true you can no longer book directly with Chankanaab for the dolphin swims. It was about a month ago when that changed. I just tried for our trip in March as my daughter did the Royal Dolphin Swim last year and loved it and we are going back with my other daughter this year who also wanted to do it. It is about 80.00 more with Carnival. of course they do provide the transportation, but still it was only about 10,00 for the taxi.

How did the one in Grand Cayman go? We are also trying to decide where to do a dolphin swim. Thanks!

Yes that is true, I chatted with them, you can book the dolphin swim online and just don't mention the cruise line, however it does affect the cancellation policies. So I think we are going to book in Grand Cayman online. Has anyone here to the Grand Cayman location?

I wonder what the difference is on whether or not you arrive via a cruise ship?? Maybe just the cancellation policy is affected.

Yes you can book directly with them, We just booked for our Cozumel visit on our cruise in March on Carnival Glory when in there reservations page click on the Ecommerce button and when it asks you for city put unknown they are having a special right now 2 adults for $126.40. The only thing is that for if for some reason the ship cant make it to port you lose everything. If you do it directly with the cruise line its almost $200.00

Wow! Didn't know that this had changed. We booked the Dolphin Swim for 3 of us online about 2 1/2 months ago with no problem and have an email confirming that if the ship does not come to port, that we are refunded all but 10% of our payment.

Guess I got my reservation in under the wire! One of the reasons that we picked Cozumel over Grand Cayman to do the dolphin swim was because we could save some $$$ and book online.

Yes you can book directly with them, We just booked for our Cozumel visit on our cruise in March on Carnival Glory when in there reservations page click on the Ecommerce button and when it asks you for city put unknown they are having a special right now 2 adults for $126.40. The only thing is that for if for some reason the ship cant make it to port you lose everything. If you do it directly with the cruise line its almost $200.00[/quote

Is that for Channakanaab park? I can't find that price.

We had no problem booking through Dolphin Discovery for Cozumel in August. I didn't know the rules had changed, that's a shame. For our December cruise, we booked through the ship for Grand Cayman because the price was the same. We really liked Chankanaab on Cozumel because there is more to do and more choices of food if you are there for the whole day. Grand Cayman was a little less intense about selling pictures. The dolphin experiences were similar. You can't go wrong whichever you choose.

• 2 weeks later...

I just checked out their webpage about an hour ago because we have a couple of teens that would like to do this. Their webpage still says if your ship doesn't make the port stop, you'll receive a complete refund. Guess I will need to call and confirm before booking. I would think that an agreement with the cruise line has caused the change in their policy.

Archived