packing tips needed

janna1

When I did my 24-day TA a couple of years ago (with an additional week in London), I agonized over the packing issue. I did not want to check two bags. Fortunately a couple of folks on the roll call convinced me it was okay, and I did (We had to be prepared for varied climates--snowing in London, hot as blazes in Morocco). I am glad I did, and now I say relax and pack what you want. You may have to pay more to check it, but that is a small part of your whole travel budget.

I guess you are right. Comparely, it IS a very small part of the trip :)

Buy the Unlimited Pressing service from the front desk on your first day. It's $5/day or something like that. Then just have your steward pick up the garments to be pressed. If you get them out early in the day, you'll have them back the next day.

You're on vacation! You shouldn't be ironing! ;)

I didn't know there is such service. Thanks for the tips!

You don't want my adivce, as I've been packing since Thanksgiving Day, am still not finished and have a total of 7 pieces of luggage for 3 people. Needless to say, we're driving to the cruise.

For our cruise to the Mediterranean in May my husband had strict instructions on how much we were allowed to pack! There were five of us - including two teenage sons and my daughter who was 10. We managed to pack everything in 3 medium sized suitcases total (for all 5), one rolling carryon and a laptop bag. For formal wear my boys and husband packed a dress shirt, tie and blazer that they wore with dockers. For shoes their all black tennis shoes doubled as dress shoes. We knew we were going to be taking the train in Rome and in Dover. The trains are not made for American size suitcases. Also, the train stations have stairs where you have to carry your suitcases up and then back down. And we were going to be doing a lot of walking. We even had unexpected walking. When the Eurodam pulled into Dover there was some mixup with the longshore men and there was a significant delay in getting everyone off the ship. I believe there was an extra ship in port or something. Anyway, there were throngs of people waiting for taxis that were nonexistent. We asked a couple of the officials if it was possible to walk to the train station. One said it was too far. But another gave us the directions and we set off with our suitcases in tow. Thus, we walked from the port at Dover to the train station which was I am guessing 2 miles. It had started to rain and it was not warm so it took about an hour. Then we walked from the train station in Horley to the B&B. By then it was pouring rain. Precruise we walked from the Termini train station to the B&B and in Civitavecchia from the train station to the port. To make up for the minimal clothing we had space for in our suitcases we ordered unlimited laundry on the ship. Worked out great!

diane

Archived