Rumrunners Busted on Destiny TODAY

detwings

HELLO!:)

If you read the instructions that come with your rum runners about how to season them etc it states to pack them in the middle of your luggage, not lining the outside. I wrap my black bathing suits around them.

I know it's illegal, but my bar tab is still sufficient enough to keep CCL liquid. I just like a little something in my cabin.

And they have had the pleasure of my company for 30 cruises now.

I thought Carnival allowed you to buy alcohol for your cabin?

Bummer!

I've never looked up rum runners but it seems like there would be a better way to do it. A friend of mine puts rum and vodka in wine bottles and then recorks them. Just put them in your carry on... they never check that! And it's completely corked so it's not like they would since it just looks like a bottle of wine. Ah... one of the many perks of living at a winery. :)

I drink wine only so I'm good on cruises! But I do feel bad for people who like a little night cap and have to pay $8 for it.

One of the ways that Carnival can keep preices low is that they make a significant profit on an individuals purchase of alcoholic beverages. Although it seems innoncent, smuggling, and I do mean smuggling of alcohol on board will result, in unchecked, to higher prices for everyone. Rules are rules, if you feel that you can't obey Carnival's rules, than you should cruise on another cruise line that permits you to smuggle alcohol (if there is one).

Not sure what type of scanner they are using but xrays can not see liquids. Yes it can detect the shape of the plastic screw on lid. Anyone who gets caught with rum runners is just unlucky..they can not see liquid via a xray, just the outlines!

X-Rays can detect different densities, in effect they can see everything, just check the new scanners at the airport. If Carnival wants to detect rum-runners, they certainly have the means and the technology to do so.

Our friends and another couple they are traveling with got busted with rumrunners inside their checked baggage today. They were packed along the sides with all the necessary precautions. They received a nice letter from Carnival that their alcholol had been detected and confiscated and to enjoy their cruise.

Nope they do not get their rumrunners and alcohol back at the end of the cruise. Scanners it seems are able to pick these up. Carnival cruisers out of Miami beware, This was a live cell phone call just received from our friends who are on the Destiny now.:(

not surprised. how many dunces think they can post how they can smuggle and think no one is reading?

There was a thread on here a little while back about a new type of machine they are using. It is in color and can tell the difference between water, wine, many other liquids and liquor....The first place they installed one was Miami......

I'll do a little searching to see if I can find it....

Our friends and another couple they are traveling with got busted with rumrunners inside their checked baggage today. They were packed along the sides with all the necessary precautions. They received a nice letter from Carnival that their alcholol had been detected and confiscated and to enjoy their cruise.

Nope they do not get their rumrunners and alcohol back at the end of the cruise. Scanners it seems are able to pick these up. Carnival cruisers out of Miami beware, This was a live cell phone call just received from our friends who are on the Destiny now.:(

Bummer!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually on my last 2 cruises I have seen them pat down folks wearing bagy, cargo type shorts. :mad:

What ports were they doing pat downs? Ick!!!

Frankly I just throw a big box of tampons on top of my rum runners!!!! It's no man's land at that point. hahaha

Frankly I just throw a big box of tampons on top of my rum runners!!!! It's no man's land at that point. hahaha

:DThat is down right funny:D

I am SURE staff on all the ships are aware of all the different ways people smuggle alcohol and I am SURE these forums are read

I am also SURE that people will continue to do this! To each their own..I plead the 5th:)

Another reason why you ALWAYS lock your checked luggage.

Not really. They'll just leave a letter for you to come down & open your luggage for them if the screening shows anything questionable. Just causes more delay than an unlocked bag where they can confiscate, leave a letter in your bag & deliver it to your room. It doesn't matter to them if it's locked or unlocked, they won't let it slide just because it's locked. ;)

Not really. They'll just leave a letter for you to come down & open your luggage for them if the screening shows anything questionable. Just causes more delay than an unlocked bag where they can confiscate, leave a letter in your bag & deliver it to your room. It doesn't matter to them if it's locked or unlocked, they won't let it slide just because it's locked. ;)

Maybe. Maybe not. I think it is more likely to be the latter. The bigger the hassle for Carnival, the more it costs them. Some questionable items might be more likely to slide; something definitely forbidden probably would be flagged in any case (if detected). There is no way the screeners can do a thorough job on each and every bag.

In any event, Carnival is not responsible for your luggage until it is on the ship and even then, only minimally. Carnival used to tell passengers to lock luggage for that reason. I always lock mine.

Frankly my hairstyle is, well, ala Marge Simpson. I just stick my booze in my hair.

Or maybe, I'll just glue those little tiny airline bottles of booze to my legs before getting dressed.

Hey CCL, is my point gettin' across???? Alot of effort and alot of angst is goin' on!!!

I have DB's credit card, no need for me to smuggle--it just makes my luggage heavier! Oh room service, here is my S&S--thanks to DB's credit card, just bring me another drink!!!!

Frankly gettin' ourselves packed, to the port, correct ship and on time is ENOUGH work for me, let alone thinkin' of how to haul booze--silly. Too bad CCL had such a CRAPPY CRAPPY CRAPPY wine list. May I recommend they start carrying a Malbec that has actually been aged in French oak for more than 9 months???? How about a decent unoaked Chard??? Maybe a selection of Proseccos???? Perhaps a respectable selection of Zins? What about different formats of the big reds, e.g., magnum of Sangiovese from Seghesio??? I won't even get started on Brunellos.

Happy cruising.

One of the ways that Carnival can keep preices low is that they make a significant profit on an individuals purchase of alcoholic beverages. Although it seems innoncent, smuggling, and I do mean smuggling of alcohol on board will result, in unchecked, to higher prices for everyone. Rules are rules, if you feel that you can't obey Carnival's rules, than you should cruise on another cruise line that permits you to smuggle alcohol (if there is one).

I don't normally get involved in these discussions, but I take exception to this (maybe because I quit smoking yesterday :rolleyes:).

Every cruise I purchase alcohol from the Bon Voyage Department. Every year I ask if they carry my single malt scotch. Not only do they not serve it on-board, but I can not order it in advance. Our S&S is still up there as we enjoy a bottle of wine or two, martini's, DOD's, etc... I will continue to carry a bottle of my favorite scotch onboard until I can order in advance.

and since you already have the bbq on your balcony don't forget to bring that pocket fisherman along for a nice filet o fish to go with the t-bone and single malt...:D:):D[/quote

On our first cruise, a guy in 7445 aft-wrap on Empress was fishing off his balcony. My husband thought it was cool until a couple of ships officers came down to speak with him :eek:.

Be interesting to know if RRs were the only way they were smuggling alcohol, i.e., not also packing bottles. Or size of RRs being used. Several of the larger size RRS in a row will call attention in any scanner. RR recommends you pack near the bottom by the wheels not along the side. Smaller RRs may be a better way to go.

Also, Port of Miami is notorious about searching for contraband. I wouldn't attempt any smuggling of any kind out of POM.

I agree with this..If you line the rum runners up in a row they will stick out like a sore thumb. Along the sides would stick out to. I was thinking about just putting them in a bag that I carry on along with my sodas and stuff. They scan that stuff and probably wont even open the bag. Doubt they would notice the rum runners in along with the cans and stuff!

Frankly gettin' ourselves packed, to the port, correct ship and on time is ENOUGH work for me, let alone thinkin' of how to haul booze--silly. Too bad CCL had such a CRAPPY CRAPPY CRAPPY wine list. May I recommend they start carrying a Malbec that has actually been aged in French oak for more than 9 months???? How about a decent unoaked Chard??? Maybe a selection of Proseccos???? Perhaps a respectable selection of Zins? What about different formats of the big reds, e.g., magnum of Sangiovese from Seghesio??? I won't even get started on Brunellos.

Happy cruising.

You think CCL's wine list is bad, have you sailed RCCL? Double Yuck!

I agree with this..If you line the rum runners up in a row they will stick out like a sore thumb. Along the sides would stick out to. I was thinking about just putting them in a bag that I carry on along with my sodas and stuff. They scan that stuff and probably wont even open the bag. Doubt they would notice the rum runners in along with the cans and stuff!

Yes it will be found that way. They check carryon for liquid. Put em in our pockets.

I don't normally get involved in these discussions, but I take exception to this (maybe because I quit smoking yesterday :rolleyes:).

Every cruise I purchase alcohol from the Bon Voyage Department. Every year I ask if they carry my single malt scotch. Not only do they not serve it on-board, but I can not order it in advance. Our S&S is still up there as we enjoy a bottle of wine or two, martini's, DOD's, etc... I will continue to carry a bottle of my favorite scotch onboard until I can order in advance.

Good Luck! My wife and I are both on 30 months now.

I say, if it's worth the risk of them confiscating your favorite scotch then go for it!

:confused: :confused: :confused: On what grounds were the rum rummers confiscated? What technology did the screener use to determine the contents were alchoholic, more importantly, an alchoholic beverage? Why is noone else here asking these questions? :confused:

Archived