Rumrunners Busted on Destiny TODAY

detwings

:confused: :confused: :confused: On what grounds were the rum rummers confiscated? What technology did the screener use to determine the contents were alchoholic' date=' more importantly, an alchoholic beverage? Why is noone else here asking these questions? :confused:[/quote']

Our friends on the Spirit got there suitcase delivered with the letter and the rum runners returned empty so you can presume that when they find them they open them up and smell the content. She was lucky to get the rum runners back, it was my understanding that they would be disposed of.

:confused: :confused: :confused: On what grounds were the rum rummers confiscated? What technology did the screener use to determine the contents were alchoholic' date=' more importantly, an alchoholic beverage? Why is noone else here asking these questions? :confused:[/quote']

They don't need any grounds. Check your cruise contract. They could deny you boarding without compensation for breaking their rules.

They don't need any grounds. Check your cruise contract. They could deny you boarding without compensation for breaking their rules.

They need no grounds to confiscate private property??? As in a rum runner with unknown contents? They can confiscate any private proprty without knowing the contents, is that what you're saying? They can confiscate my toothpaste tube because it might contain an alchoholic beverage? I don't see that in my contract! You really got me confused here!

Our friends on the Spirit got there suitcase delivered with the letter and the rum runners returned empty so you can presume that when they find them they open them up and smell the content. She was lucky to get the rum runners back, it was my understanding that they would be disposed of.

On what legal grounds did they OPEN UP the suspect container? That is my question, if they did in fact open them up. If they were disposed of unopened, that was an illegal act, as there was no proof of alcoholic beverage. If the containers were opened up, on what legal grounds were they opened up? Based on this argument, screeners can open up any container they desire because it "may contain an alcoholic beverage". Or they may simply discard any container because it "may contain an alcoholic beverage".

On what legal grounds did they OPEN UP the suspect container? That is my question' date=' if they did in fact open them up. If they were disposed of unopened, that was an illegal act, as there was no proof of alcoholic beverage. If the containers were opened up, on what legal grounds were they opened up? Based on this argument, screeners can open up any container they desire because it "may contain an alcoholic beverage". Or they may simply discard any container because it "may contain an alcoholic beverage".[/quote']

That's a good point. I thought it was protocol to call you down to open them up yourself. Does this mean they can open my mouthwash without me knowing it? What if someone accidentally coughs or sneezes into it? Ew.

That's a good point. I thought it was protocol to call you down to open them up yourself. Does this mean they can open my mouthwash without me knowing it? What if someone accidentally coughs or sneezes into it? Ew.

Thank You! That is my point exactly.

Maybe. Maybe not. I think it is more likely to be the latter. The bigger the hassle for Carnival, the more it costs them. Some questionable items might be more likely to slide; something definitely forbidden probably would be flagged in any case (if detected). There is no way the screeners can do a thorough job on each and every bag.

In any event, Carnival is not responsible for your luggage until it is on the ship and even then, only minimally. Carnival used to tell passengers to lock luggage for that reason. I always lock mine.

We were on the Destiny last month, our first trip out of Port of Miami.

We always lock our luggage. We had 3 bags, each with a 2 liter bottle of Soda. All 3 bags were held up, and we received a note to meet security at deck 0 so they could inspect it.

Apparently we weren't the only ones. There was a lot of luggage and a line of people waiting to unluck their luggage.

We have never had a problem at Port Everglades, or Port Canaveral.

O.K. KroozLov'r, tell me where the loophole is in this paragraph of the cruise contract:

(f) Weapons, firearms, contraband, ammunition, explosives, incendiary devices, or other dangerous items are strictly prohibited aboard the vessel. Carnival reserves the right to confiscate, destroy and/or turn over to authorities these or any other items it deems in its sole discretion to be detrimental to the safety or comfort of any person or which are otherwise improperly in the possession of any Guest. Each Guest warrants that no such articles are contained in any receptacle or container carried or presented as baggage. Alcoholic beverages are prohibited except as provided for in clause 8(f). All Guests agree Carnival has, at all times with or without notice, the right to search Guest’s baggage and/or personal effects for any of the prohibited items, at any location, to ensure compliance with these restrictions. Any Guest who refuses any such search or screening, or any Guest traveling with such items, may be denied boarding or disembarked and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. The Guest will be solely responsible for any and all damage and/or loss caused by his violation of this policy.

You are required to accept the contract in order to sail by checking a box to fullfill the fun pass which is the document you need to board with. Hey, I'm all for you providing an argument about how they cannot confiscate personal property, including fans and extension cords.:)

Our friends and another couple they are traveling with got busted with rumrunners inside their checked baggage today. They were packed along the sides with all the necessary precautions. They received a nice letter from Carnival that their alcholol had been detected and confiscated and to enjoy their cruise.

Nope they do not get their rumrunners and alcohol back at the end of the cruise. Scanners it seems are able to pick these up. Carnival cruisers out of Miami beware, This was a live cell phone call just received from our friends who are on the Destiny now.:(

What port was this at?

O.K. KroozLov'r, tell me where the loophole is in this paragraph of the cruise contract:

(f) Weapons, firearms, contraband, ammunition, explosives, incendiary devices, or other dangerous items are strictly prohibited aboard the vessel. Carnival reserves the right to confiscate, destroy and/or turn over to authorities these or any other items it deems in its sole discretion to be detrimental to the safety or comfort of any person or which are otherwise improperly in the possession of any Guest. Each Guest warrants that no such articles are contained in any receptacle or container carried or presented as baggage. Alcoholic beverages are prohibited except as provided for in clause 8(f). All Guests agree Carnival has, at all times with or without notice, the right to search Guest’s baggage and/or personal effects for any of the prohibited items, at any location, to ensure compliance with these restrictions. Any Guest who refuses any such search or screening, or any Guest traveling with such items, may be denied boarding or disembarked and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. The Guest will be solely responsible for any and all damage and/or loss caused by his violation of this policy.

You are required to accept the contract in order to sail by checking a box to fullfill the fun pass which is the document you need to board with. Hey, I'm all for you providing an argument about how they cannot confiscate personal property, including fans and extension cords.:)

A -:confused: What "loophole" are you speaking of? :confused:

B - How did the screener KNOW it was alcohol unless the RR was opened? If they WERE opened in the absence of the guest (as was the case here), on what legal grounds was this done? If it was "just because", doesn't that concern you that the same standard can be applied to open ANY container in checked luggage? Hmmm, these days, who knows what poisonous or deadly substance could be added to any container opened "just because".

C -Fans and extension cords will be returned at the end of the cruise. The rum runners, which apparently contained SOME type of liquid...well, you know the story...

Doesn’t surprise me. Rum Runners are far from infallible, even though some folks want to protect RR’s abilities as if they were their own child. I have talked to many who have been busted, my cousin got his taken this past year. I posted on here and got allot of “are you sure?” “I find that hard to believe…” etc.

A -:confused: What "loophole" are you speaking of? :confused:

B - How did the screener KNOW it was alcohol unless the RR was opened? If they WERE opened in the absence of the guest (as was the case here)' date=' on what legal grounds was this done? If it was "just because", doesn't that concern you that the same standard can be applied to open ANY container in checked luggage? Hmmm, these days, who knows what poisonous or deadly substance could be added to any container opened "just because".

C -Fans and extension cords will be returned at the end of the cruise. The rum runners, which apparently contained SOME type of liquid...well, you know the story...[/quote']

Well, according to the new rules, you are not allowed to bring ANY beverages in your checked luggage. So really, it doesn't matter what the rum runners contain - it could be water and by their rules they can toss it in the trash without your permission.

Well, according to the new rules, you are not allowed to bring ANY beverages in your checked luggage. So really, it doesn't matter what the rum runners contain - it could be water and by their rules they can toss it in the trash without your permission.

True. And according to the ticket contract (below), they maintain the right to search all luggage AND/OR personal effects for any prohibited items. So they can screen it, open it (or have you come open it if locked), & search anything in it. That said, quite a bit of alcohol & non-alcoholic bevs in checked luggage has made it thru just fine. It's just the risk you (I) take. And their diligence. And maybe one's packing skills. ;)

"...All Guests agree Carnival has, at all times with or without notice, the right to search Guest’s baggage and/or personal effects for any of the prohibited items, at any location, to ensure compliance with these restrictions. Any Guest who refuses any such search or screening, or any Guest traveling with such items, may be denied boarding or disembarked and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued..."

On what legal grounds did they OPEN UP the suspect container? That is my question' date=' if they did in fact open them up. If they were disposed of unopened, that was an illegal act, as there was no proof of alcoholic beverage. If the containers were opened up, on what legal grounds were they opened up? Based on this argument, screeners can open up any container they desire because it "may contain an alcoholic beverage". Or they may simply discard any container because it "may contain an alcoholic beverage".[/quote']

They don't need legal grounds. You are on private property. They make the rules. You agreed to follow the rules (cruise contract). End of story.

Only if you lock your suitcase. Always lock your suitcase. If you don't, yes, they can open it and inspect anything they want.

Only if you lock your suitcase. Always lock your suitcase. If you don't, yes, they can open it and inspect anything they want.

Good to know! I'm weird about tooth paste, my tooth brush, and mouthwash. I won't even share it with my SO! The thought of someone opening it and putting their nose there creeps me out.

Thank you very much for saying that. I posted something like that on this thread earlier today, but it got deleted :confused: Apparently CC thinks it's not okay to criticize people who break the rules.

I criticized someone once on Cruise Critic (it wasn't even that bad), and was banned for a week. Just wait in a couple of days you won't be able to log on!:eek:

Good to know! I'm weird about tooth paste, my tooth brush, and mouthwash. I won't even share it with my SO! The thought of someone opening it and putting their nose there creeps me out.

They don't routinely open luggage unless they think there is something of interest but the screeners aren't employees of Carnival. As it is, they don't have time to properly screen luggage which is one of the reasons why so much booze still makes it through.

Still, I lock it. No telling how many people could be checking it out before it makes it on the ship - porters, screeners, those forklift people... And Carnival doesn't accept responsibility for any of them.

We were on the Carnival Splendor Oct. 31-Nov 7. Out of 3 cabins (about 10 bags) only one bag was not opened and looked through. We did not have booze but they still checked the bags and put notes in them that they were checked and found to be fine. All we had in the bags were shampoos and other bathroom products like that.

Who is guaranteeing that it is a beverage in the rum runner?

Our last cruise out of Galveston my husbands luggage was opened (locked with a zip tie) and a letter left saying it was opened and found to be fine as well. But wait..........it had a bottle of rum in it, not in a rum runner flask either. Got a letter and the rum was still there, odd. Liked our luck that day!:D

Wow, I guess based on some responses here, I won't be cruising with Carnival anymore. As some of you say, Carnival can open any container, and do anything with it that they wish, with no accountability. They can legally open up my aerosol deodorant, and replace the contents with ebola virus, according to some of you. They can open up my OTC vitamins and replace them with poison pills that look just like my OTC vitamins... They can replace my Visine drops with a caustic acid, just because...based on some of the responses here.

Wait...they can do whatever they want because they are on private property? Hmmm, I CERTAINLY won't cruise on Carnival again, because, based on some responses here, they can mug and assult me and its ok, because its on private property....WoW....

KroozLov'r, you won't be cruising on any cruise line then because they all have passenger contracts similiar to Carnival's.

For that matter, you won't be traveling to foreign countries either. When we traveled between cities in China, they opened all of our liquids in our carry on's in our presence and smelled them. Even the liquids that were sealed were opened. When you travel, you are subject to whatever restrictions are in place in that country, or on that cruise line.

The only way to remain safe, based on your scenario, is to stay home.

Archived