Solstice disappointments

gregjm

I did a 10/26 sailing on the Solstice and thought it was great. I did notice the morale problem in a couple of the bars. Guest relations was awesome and the guest services manager seemed pretty attentive. Disembarkation was a little bit crazy. That's when you see the staff's true colors.

In regards to Bar and Waitstaff Service (not Guest Relations).

We were on Solstice in August of 2010, did talk with a couple of the Bar staff (Denny at the Mast Bar). He mentioned that he had just signed his contract and had only been on board for a week or so. Most of these contracts are 4 Month and the Bar/Waitstaff seem to come from a Agency in Jamaica. I wonder if most of these folks are near the end of their contract and are really really ready to head home? Not an excuse, just a possible scenario.

As to our experience in August, the service was wonderful. I will say that Bar service around the Pool was a little slow if you asked for particular drinks or made a special way, but when I ordered a Corona using the Premium Package, it was fast and efficient.

Also, having 3 sea days on a 7 day (actually almost 4 since the ship does not get into San Juan until afternoon) can make it really tough on the staff, not much time for the ship to have the passengers ashore while they "catch up" or rest.

Wonder if Celebrity will re-evaluate this type of Itinerary and put a Solstice Class in San Juan during the Winter?

Tiki

We were on the same sailing with Tiki and Mrs. Tiki, and couldn't agree more about the exceptional service. I'm not directing this at the OP, but I think that sometimes passengers have unrealistic expectations and may percieve small things as being indicative of "bad service." On a personal level, I'm not looking for every officer to say hello, and inquire how my cruise is (though most do say "hello"). I'm not lookng for perfection, and don't get bent out of shape if I have to wait for service at the bar. I'm also not looking for bad service, so may be less sensitive to it if it happens. At the end of the day I think that the X product is a very good one, especially given the very fair pricing that my wife and have been able to take advantage of.

Tiki, I see you've been posting frequently lately. Could that mean there's a cruise in the near future for you Mrs. Tiki, and little Ms. Tiki? 2 months and 2 days from today; I'm pretty sure there's good deals to be had......Just saying.

Sorry to hear your cruise service experience wasn't great.

I don't think Thanksgiving has anything to do with it. I'm afraid there are pockets of bad service on any cruise. We were on the Connie for Thanksgiving. We had fabulous service. Other members of our roll call had horrendous service--different section of the dining room.

I do think the service has a lot to do with your perception of the cruise. To me it's great to be welcomed back to the ship with smiles & hugs--we were able to get the same great waiter we had on the Connie in January. If I didn't receive that kind of service from Celebrity, I'd be greatly disappointed.

We also were on Nov 28 2010 and had a great time. The only thing I dislike was the pool area. To many passangers holding chairs and the staff did not do anything untill the last sea day. I like the sun and if you did not get on deck by 7am you were SOOL.

Archived