Mary hart named godmother for oceania cruises' new marina

Oceania3

I think it is wrong to have the christening after the maiden voyage. But christenings today are about publicity, not tradition. Where do you think Oceania would get more press coverage that is important to them....Barcelona or Ft. Lauderdale? And trust me, none of those ladies I have never heard of who are the godmothers of the current O ships would ever be named godmother of the Marina or Riviera. No publicity value in them at all. Not that Mary Hart is an inspired choice to anyone other than readers of the Enquirer.

Although I understand the politics behind it, the tradition is being broken. But wait..... how do we know there will not be a chirstening in Barcelona for the Maiden Voyage? Just like the Oscars, "here is so and so accepting the Oscar for (whoever)". There could be a stand in?

I am a bit supersticious and hope someone will do a blessing for our voyage.

Lynne

Although I understand the politics behind it, the tradition is being broken. But wait..... how do we know there will not be a chirstening in Barcelona for the Maiden Voyage? Just like the Oscars, "here is so and so accepting the Oscar for (whoever)". There could be a stand in?

I am a bit supersticious and hope someone will do a blessing for our voyage.

Lynne

Don't worry Lynne, Marina has been thoroughly blessed by an entire team of Roman Catholic clergy, headed by a very officious looking Monsignor.

Marina was also informally "named" just before she was floated out of the Genovese dry-dock where she was built.

004811.jpg

The lovely Silvia Ferrando, the wife of a Fincantieri bigwig, did the honors. Mrs. Ferrando spoke in Italian, much to the delight of the assembled shipyard workers. Yes, that is "our" FDR to her right.

Other ships are christened in their home ports after an initial voyage; it's actually more common in the modern era than the old fashioned christening to send the ship crashing down the "ways" into the water (some shops almost capsized as they splashed, and a few sank). Some recent christenings have been near London and in New York.

Miami is the home port of Oceania, and it makes sense to hold the formal ceremonies there. No worries about bad luck; a bottle of champagne has already been successfully broken against the hull in Genoa, before she floated. This is also traditional; shipyards choose their own Madrina, in this case the wife of the manager of the shipyard.

When is a Maiden Voyage not a Maiden Voyage?? How many Godmothers can one ship have?? When it is launched, after it's inaugural voyage or even when it has been re-named, as is the case of all Oceania's ships??

A Maiden Voyage is the vessels first voyage, for profit, under the owners name, after acceptance by the owners from the shipbuilder after trials and evaluations. An inaugural voyage could be one when the vessel is 10 years old, but, calling at a new port.

This practice adopted by cruise ship owners would be akin to re-baptising your children with new Godparents, and a new name. Give me a break, enough is enough with breaking long held traditions.

July 11, 2003, after transiting the Panama Canal, the Island Princess was christened in Vancouver (Canada Place) by the ship's Godparents, skating partners Jamie Salé and David Pelletier.

And, right after the ceremony on Feb 5th, all of those invites set sail for an all expense paid, 3 day cruise. It's suppliers and people in the travel industry.

The invitation for this spectacular event has been received by Stu and I and it is absolutely magnificent.( I must say I am not surprised)

The ship will be full for this event and then Stu and I stay on for the Panama Canal cruise,

I will be blogging from now on each day I have any news and later from the ship.. right now I know they are having a Super Bowl tail gate party on the pool deck and showing the game on their giant LED TV on deck under the stars..more as it comes in

Jancruz1

The invitation for this spectacular event has been received by Stu and I and it is absolutely magnificent.( I must say I am not surprised)

The ship will be full for this event and then Stu and I stay on for the Panama Canal cruise,

I will be blogging from now on each day I have any news and later from the ship.. right now I know they are having a Super Bowl tail gate party on the pool deck and showing the game on their giant LED TV on deck under the stars..more as it comes in

Jancruz1

Sounds exciting, Jan. Will you be blogging here on Cruise Critic or at one of the blogger sites or elsewhere?

Looking back at what I posted above (about the Island Princess' christening), I think the voyage through the Panama Canal was perhaps not a revenue voyage.

When is a Maiden Voyage not a Maiden Voyage?? How many Godmothers can one ship have?? When it is launched, after it's inaugural voyage or even when it has been re-named, as is the case of all Oceania's ships??

A Maiden Voyage is the vessels first voyage, for profit, under the owners name, after acceptance by the owners from the shipbuilder after trials and evaluations. An inaugural voyage could be one when the vessel is 10 years old, but, calling at a new port.

This practice adopted by cruise ship owners would be akin to re-baptising your children with new Godparents, and a new name. Give me a break, enough is enough with breaking long held traditions.

I feel we are on her REAL Maiden Voyage when we sail out of Barcelona on January 22. I agree, How many Maiden Voyages can one ship have?

I wish I were one of the lucky ones invited to the festivities on February 5. I will be back home by then, we leave Miami for home on Feb 4 right after the Marina docks.

Marion

Marion

Jancruz1

Oh Jan, how wonderful! Even the invitation was beautiful. I am just a teensy-weensy envious. :)

Sounds exciting, Jan. Will you be blogging here on Cruise Critic or at one of the blogger sites or elsewhere?

Looking back at what I posted above (about the Island Princess' christening), I think the voyage through the Panama Canal was perhaps not a revenue voyage.

Will be blogging elsewhere..

Jancruz1

Archived