S-Class hump cabin: don't sweat it if you don't get it

We just returned from the 11/28 Solstice eastern Caribbean cruise. It was my first cruise on S-Class, and I was happy that the ship lived up to everything I'd heard about it.

We booked in Aqua Class and originally had a standard AQ cabin... however, several months ago a poster here that had booked "primo" hump cabin 1601 announced that they had to switch off of our 11/28 cruise and they wanted their friends at Cruise Critic to have the first shot at their stateroom. We were grateful for his announcement and jumped at the chance. So we called our travel agent and reserved that stateroom for ourselves.

I used to obsess over aft cabins on M-Class ships, booking one on Connie in '05 that we made great use of, but I have to say, given the beauty of the S-Class public spaces, the alcohol package, and our wish to socialize with friends (all of whom had the alcohol package), we barely used the extra room on the balcony. It was some more space, big whoop. Even in the eastern Caribbean, which has among the best weather for this kind of thing, we just didn't find that it made a difference because there were so many better places to be with friends on the ship. We did benefit from being near the elevator and stairs, but that's it. We would have been just fine being in a normal AQ cabin.

I'm looking forward to my next S-Class cruise, but I won't lose any sleep about not getting a special stateroom.

We just returned from the 11/28 Solstice eastern Caribbean cruise. It was my first cruise on S-Class, and I was happy that the ship lived up to everything I'd heard about it.

We booked in Aqua Class and originally had a standard AQ cabin... however, several months ago a poster here that had booked "primo" hump cabin 1601 announced that they had to switch off of our 11/28 cruise and they wanted their friends at Cruise Critic to have the first shot at their stateroom. We were grateful for his announcement and jumped at the chance. So we called our travel agent and reserved that stateroom for ourselves.

I used to obsess over aft cabins on M-Class ships, booking one on Connie in '05 that we made great use of, but I have to say, given the beauty of the S-Class public spaces, the alcohol package, and our wish to socialize with friends (all of whom had the alcohol package), we barely used the extra room on the balcony. It was some more space, big whoop. Even in the eastern Caribbean, which has among the best weather for this kind of thing, we just didn't find that it made a difference because there were so many better places to be with friends on the ship. We did benefit from being near the elevator and stairs, but that's it. We would have been just fine being in a normal AQ cabin.

I'm looking forward to my next S-Class cruise, but I won't lose any sleep about not getting a special stateroom.

I appreciate hearing your perspective.

The larger balconies are particularly appreciated if you are travelling with friends and like to relax together on a balcony with a pre-dinner beverage and a few appetizers. We LOVE the larger balconies, and are very happy when we are lucky enough to book one.

I appreciate hearing your perspective.

The larger balconies are particularly appreciated if you are travelling with friends and like to relax together on a balcony with a pre-dinner beverage and a few appetizers. We LOVE the larger balconies, and are very happy when we are lucky enough to book one.

I'm happy I won't be competition for you in the future. :) Basically, the alcohol package inverted the equation for us. In the past we used the C1 balcony as you described. We were traveling with several friends on Solstice, but it no longer made sense to entertain in our room. I think if people go into it with a clear idea of what they'd use it for, rather than worrying that they'll miss out on something if they don't get it, it makes a difference.

We did two Solstice TA's, and each time we had the "big boy" balcony like you had (1606 & 1247). We used it all the time. It was great to entertain, and we could get 6-8 people out there without feeling crowded.

I guess if it's just the two of you, it's no big deal. Additionally, the location is what I consider the best on the S-Class ships.

I'm happy I won't be competition for you in the future. :) Basically, the alcohol package inverted the equation for us. In the past we used the C1 balcony as you described. I think if people go into it with a clear idea of what they'd use it for, rather than worrying that they'll miss out on something if they don't get it, it makes a difference.

We tend to love looking out to sea and being out in the sea air, so balconies work for us, and we frequently cruise with like-minded friends, so those larger balconies just work for us.

I'm glad that you're not competing with me for those balconies too! :p

I'm happy I won't be competition for you in the future. :) Basically, the alcohol package inverted the equation for us. In the past we used the C1 balcony as you described. We were traveling with several friends on Solstice, but it no longer made sense to entertain in our room. I think if people go into it with a clear idea of what they'd use it for, rather than worrying that they'll miss out on something if they don't get it, it makes a difference.

So basically, once they have an AQ cabin "with a Bar on the Balcony" you will be first to sign up :) I totally agree with you. The S-class with AQ category and the Alcohol Package is a WONDERFUL concept. Can't wait to go again. Glad you had a fun cruise.

Tiki

02143, We have that same cabin for our March 2012 Equinox cruise; and, we are looking forward to it We also have 1549 for our Christmas cruise in an week and a half; and, we have 1605 for our April 2011 and January 2012 cruises. We love those large balconies for storage of our beach items and the room for our ancillary daily exercises.

I totally agree with you, 02143. If you have the alcohol package, then all drinks in public spaces are included. So it becomes a disincentive to entertain in your room, where you have to pay; especially if everyone else you know onboard has the alcohol package too. Instead, everyone will want to get their money's worth by having drinks at a bar. And honestly, with the bars on the S-Class being as nice as they are, stateroom balconies just can't compete. Nor can you get a specialty martini or a molecular drink delivered to your stateroom, I would imagine. And even if you could, the cool dry ice effect wouldn't survive the trip. There will always be a portion of the population who will want the big balcony, just because they can. For us, it's all about the alcohol package though. lol

Hi...I noticed you talk about an alcohol package...is this on all celebrity ships? Can you tell me how it works? Thanks...we are considering the Summit to Bermuda:D

Hi...I noticed you talk about an alcohol package...is this on all celebrity ships? Can you tell me how it works? Thanks...we are considering the Summit to Bermuda:D

Basically, you prepay for unlimited alcohol, soft drinks, and specialty drinks. Different price levels for different levels of inclusiveness and alcohol vs. non-alcohol. We paid $49 + 15% gratuity per day for the broadest package. Here is the link to Celebrity's site:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beverage/packages/summary.do?categoryId=18&pagename=beverage_packages

There has been a lot of discussion here, with some threads stickied at the top of the site, that can answer any question you might have.

Basically, you prepay for unlimited alcohol, soft drinks, and specialty drinks. Different price levels for different levels of inclusiveness and alcohol vs. non-alcohol. We paid $49 + 15% gratuity per day for the broadest package. Here is the link to Celebrity's site:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beverage/packages/summary.do?categoryId=18&pagename=beverage_packages

There has been a lot of discussion here, with some threads stickied at the top of the site, that can answer any question you might have.

If you're Elite and on a very port intensive schedule, it might not pay to get one of these packages, unless you're a big drinker.

I wonder if you can order the package during the last 7 days of a Westbound TA??? That would give you plenty of drinking time during all those at-sea days.:D

Archived