Just back from INfinity - a few comments

pacheco18

We just returned from a 2 week Panama Canal cruise on Infinity. We were lucky to have one of the aft CC cabins - a perfect vantage point for the canal crossing.

Food - very good in MDR - outstanding in the SS United States. They did a great job making my husband's birthday special.

Coffee was sometimes cold. Lattes in COVA were great.

Embarkation - slow -- they had a tough time getting people from the previous cruise off.

Debarkation - run like a military operation - 15 minutes to go through immigration and get luggage.

Entertainment -- amazingly good. The three big production shows were super. So much talent on that ship. Great music everywhere (we love to dance).

We did our own private shorex

Service -- excellent all around

Cruise Director - quite good -- better than the one I had on Millennium.

Ship in good condition -- not yet Solsticized

I had three fabulous massages.

The crowd -- much older crowd with a very large number of cruisers with mobility problems. I guess with 6 sea days and the main event being something you see from the ship, the canal crossing is perfect for those with mobility issues. Four kids total. I would not call it a sophisticated crowd (I know that's subjective but that's my take). Unfortunately, a lot of rude passengers -- much shoving and line cutting at the buffet -- as if they were going to run out of food! We travel with another couple so I was not terribly concerned about finding companions on the cruise.

Dress? Resort casual. Few jeans at dinner but jeans were worn. On formal nights some tuxes, mostly sport jackets and suits, some open shirts with jackets. Ladies were dressed up on most nights.

The worst:

Ice cream - full of ice crystals and sickeningly sweet.

Trivia - they do not know how to run trivia. The hosts can't pronounce some of the questions and answers (embarrassing). A team next to us actually cheated to win. Not really much fun.

Shops on board a ripoff (of course)

Overall, I like Celebrity and will be sailing on the Eclipse in August. IMO Celebrity is the best value for the money at sea if you want a mass market line.

My wife and I just did B2B--Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles via Panama Canal, back to Miami via Panama Canal, 28 days total. It was our first cruise on Celebrity, but won't be our last. I agree with OP's comments, especially regarding rudeness at buffets. Seriously, they're NOT gonna run out of food, and I doubt that you're really any hungrier than I am.

I enjoyed meals in the MDR, although many seem to avoid MDR like the plague. One couple dined in the United States and reported that it was at considerably less than half capacity. The menu didn't always suit my tastes, but I ALWAYS found enough to leave me more than satisfied. The only real disappointment was from the "classic" menu. Baked potatoe, fully loaded, had obviously been under heat lamp for a while and was somewhat overcooked. Main course meats were done to the degree requested, and all were good. Vegetables were mostly "Yankee style" (a bit crunchier than most Southern preferences) but were uniformly fresh.

Production shows were excellent--we saw all of 'em twice. Celebrity Theater entertainers were all good and mostly enjoyable. Comics were actually funny and enjoyable. Lounge entertainers ranged from good to great, depending on your tastes. My favorites were the young a capella group, On Tap, and the string quartet Grand Volta. I just can't say enough good things about both groups.

Much is made of the differences between Holland America and Celebrity. I rate them both very good and very similar in most respects. One difference: on Holland America, you don't understand the staff and crew in only two languages; on Celebrity, you don't understand the staff and crew in 50-some-odd languages. Please, don't shoot me--that comment is tongue-in-cheek, because all of the staff speak English better than I speak their native languages.

Absolutely concur with comment on efficiency of debarkation. My wife and I did the self-assist, and were among the first off the ship. We walked into the lounge, right back out again, through Immigration and Customs, and were standing on the sidewalk in front of the Terminal by 7:00.

If anyone has questions I'm qualified to address, I'll be happy to do so.

• 5 weeks later...

Are there only 3 production shows on the 14 day Infinity Panama Canal cruise? We were on a 10 day cruise recently with Princess and they had 4 production shows. Did either of you have the open seating in the MDR? If so, how did it work out? Any advice on excursions? We usually book via CC recommendations. Thanks

Bill

We were on the same cruise as the OP and my full review with pictures can be found on on the celebrity page here... its called "Semi-live from the Celebrity Infinity Panama Canal".

The cruise director was a Canadian by the first name of Zack...however I cant recall his last name.

He was good and around alot... I understand from another member of his team this was his first cruise as an actual CD.

What cabin were you in? We are on the Infinity to Alaska in July. Cabins 8181 and 8179, looking for info on them. Also, I have read about problems with stains on towels and robes. Did you have this concern? Thanks, we are new to Celebrity, have cruised with Disney many times and NCL once.

What cabin were you in? We are on the Infinity to Alaska in July. Cabins 8181 and 8179, looking for info on them. Also, I have read about problems with stains on towels and robes. Did you have this concern? Thanks, we are new to Celebrity, have cruised with Disney many times and NCL once.

Hi Wendilyn we were on the Infinity in September through the Panama Canal. We had FV #8181. What do you want to know??

We were on the same cruise as the OP and my full review with pictures can be found on on the celebrity page here... its called "Semi-live from the Celebrity Infinity Panama Canal".

The cruise director was a Canadian by the first name of Zack...however I cant recall his last name.

He was good and around alot... I understand from another member of his team this was his first cruise as an actual CD.

Thanks for the clarification. I am glad he is good and hopefully even better by the time we get on the ship in 7 weeks.

Hi Wendilyn we were on the Infinity in September through the Panama Canal. We had FV #8181. What do you want to know??

Great! How are the pull out sofas? Did you find them hard? We are a family of five Kids are older now, 18,21 and 23. My in-laws have 8179 with does have a pulldown berth and we might put my son in with them, but they're up before dawn and might be a problem! Anyway just concerned about sleeping room, I did find great pictures of the balcony, so it looks worth it for us!

Wendilyn when will you be on the Infinity? We are going to be on the 7/15 sailing.

The pull out sofa was very soft. I liked it, my husband couldn't stand it, so I'd say its personal preference! The sofa bed sleeps two, but it's not that big, so if adults are sharing the sofa bed, they better like each other a lot ;) the long sofa flips to a single bed, and both my husband and I agreed that it was comfy. What I loved about this room was the divider! It was frosted glass. When closed it still let light in, but added a layer of privacy for people on both sides of the 'wall'. We slept 5 people in the FV. 3 kids shared the 'living' space and we took the 'master'. There was lots of storage! Plenty of room for suitcases if you over pack like I did ;) Also there is a small private hallway from the room to the hallway. I loved this feature, it was the perfect spot for a stroller, or again an extra bag or two!

You are going to love this room!

The pull out sofa was very soft. I liked it, my husband couldn't stand it, so I'd say its personal preference! The sofa bed sleeps two, but it's not that big, so if adults are sharing the sofa bed, they better like each other a lot ;) the long sofa flips to a single bed, and both my husband and I agreed that it was comfy. What I loved about this room was the divider! It was frosted glass. When closed it still let light in, but added a layer of privacy for people on both sides of the 'wall'. We slept 5 people in the FV. 3 kids shared the 'living' space and we took the 'master'. There was lots of storage! Plenty of room for suitcases if you over pack like I did ;) Also there is a small private hallway from the room to the hallway. I loved this feature, it was the perfect spot for a stroller, or again an extra bag or two!

You are going to love this room!

Thanks so much for your help! We are on the July 1st cruise:D Now I just need to find out what the berth bunks feel like!

Archived