Can we talk souvenir in Bonaire

travlnblueberries

When you get off the ship there is an area set up - like an open air market in a little park. We were there three years ago, and from what I remember MOST of what was there was "quality". Handmade items, linens, jewelry, etc. I purchased two pieces of jewelry - one was a clay disc on a leather cord. It was imprinted with brain coral. Very unique and different - I wear it all the time and often get compliments on it. The other was a necklace which had a piece of shell with some gorgeous glass beads on a long piece of monofiliment. Very pretty - a little dressier. We didn't go into any of the shops in town, (we were too busy snorkeling) but this is one port that seemed to not be cruise-controlled with a cruise-owned area of shops, etc. This seemed to be geniune vendors, people who lived on the island, who were artists or did some sort of craft, and were selling their items. We really enjoyed it! Have fun!

• 1 month later...

I also stopped by the crafts tables and picked up some handmade/handblown glass earrings and charms. My goddaughter loves the little blowfish charm I picked up for her that wangs from a black leather adjustable necklace.

• 2 weeks later...

The above poster is right....this was a refreshing change from some of the other islands where you see the same stuff booth after booth and it is essentially "junk" There were quite a few booths with people selling quality

crafts...I ended up buying a t-shirt to help with the Bonaire Humane Society but there were very nice jewelry booths and hand painted pictures.

• 3 weeks later...

My tour guide suggested buying driftwood art for a souvenir. The artist I purchased mine from told me that she collects the driftwood off the beach, cleans it up, and paints on it. I bought a piece of driftwood art. It makes a beautiful wallhanging. On the driftwood is painted "Bon Bini" which is the Popiementu greeting for welcome in Bonaire. There is also a flamingo and the word "Bonaire" painted on the driftwood.

I also bought a tee-shirt and Bonaire flag. Most tee shirts in the shops appear to pertain to diving. Bonaire is a diver's paradise. There are some that don't pertain to diving.

My tour guide suggested buying driftwood art for a souvenir. The artist I purchased mine from told me that she collects the driftwood off the beach, cleans it up, and paints on it. I bought a piece of driftwood art. It makes a beautiful wallhanging. On the driftwood is painted "Bon Bini" which is the Popiementu greeting for welcome in Bonaire. There is also a flamingo and the word "Bonaire" painted on the driftwood.

I also bought a tee-shirt and Bonaire flag. Most tee shirts in the shops appear to pertain to diving. Bonaire is a diver's paradise. There are some that don't pertain to diving.

Do you remember where you purchased the driftwood?

There's a husband and wife, Jan and Jannie, in the market who sell underwater photographs, matted and with an envelope from $5 and up. He photographs, she paints (with watercolors)

fish and wildlife. I bought three $5 photos and 1 $7.50 of fish, turtles, and jellyfish (all of which we had seen snorkeling) and one of hers of a native bird for $15. They make for the BEST souvenirs, and our grandchildren loved the photo of "the blue fish with teeth."

Archived