What info do you leave behind for babysitter?

finally928

I am writing down pertinent information for my mom, who will be caring for my 6 year old while i am away on vacation. But I am afraid that I will overlook something or wont think of some information that I should leave.

So what information do you leave behind for your children's caregivers??

Thanks for any suggestions you may have -- I am petrified that I will overlook a very important detail!!

Jay

I have 4 kids, ages 2-9. Last time we went on a trip, I wrote down our regular routine for the whole day. Like "So-and-so gets up around 6, and he likes to cuddle in the rocking chair for just a minute before he gets going." and "At bedtime, the kids brush their teeth, and they can take ONE stuffed animal to bed. So-and-so will beg to take two, but she knows she can only have one." I'm embarrassed to say that our list of instructions was 11 pages long!!! :o Still, she found it very valuable because I put down the little things that happen that she wouldn't know about because she's not all that familiar with our routine.

Also, I leave our health insurance card, the phone number to the pediatrician, the directions to the doctor's office and hospital, and a note stating that my Mom "has our permission to make emergency medical decisions for our children (list their names) in our absence." And we both sign and date it.

I also leave the phone number and directions to the school, a specific list of easy to make meals for the kids (including the location of the ingredients), cash--in case the kids need some for school or something, and I put the plunger next to the toilet, just in case. hehe We also put the carseats in her car and show her how to use them. Some of those buckles can be tricky.

I thought my Mom would be insulted by the long list, but she was happy to have it (I even gave it to her a couple days in advance!), and after our trip, we saved the list to put in the baby book because it was a cute snapshot of what our family was like at that time.

Maybe it was overkill, but she was comfortable with our routine and we were able to go on our trip and not worry ONE BIT about the kids.

I agree with Sam. The first thing I do is write out a balnket medical release for both in-laws. On that, I also inlcude their date of birth, which hospital has their med records, and any allergies. My in-laws know these things, but you never know if they will remember if faced with a trauma or if the staff will believe them.

I also leave a detailed itinery with a map and pictures so the kids can follow along with where we are on each day. I learned long ago, in my family at least, that internet is better than a phone call. The phone calls can get too emotional and it gives the in-laws a chance to make me worry and thus messes up my trip ;). That's a long story which dates back to a Las Vegas trip that I came home from very early for a less than necessary reason. They are parents and grandparents, they can handle the munchkins for a week:).

I too overwrite details, but I feel better having them down, even if they're not needed.

I've had a list on my computer since my son was born (2003) of both kids' routines, to print out for babysitters. actually, when I *thought* that my mom would have had it down pat and DIDN'T print one out, she called and asked where on my computer she could FIND it, LOL. Ours has an outline of both of the kids' days/nights, plus emergency phone numbers.

***I wanted to add a little note...I do daycare and know that the hospitals (around here, atleast) "prefer" to have a "release to give medical consent" form of their OWN on file at the ER/hospital...it takes about 3 minutes to fill out and just makes everything smoother (for the hospital, your child and the caregiver) to have anyone's name that *may* take care of your child and your child's insurance information all ready on file should an emergency arise. Just a thought.***

I also will be stocking the fridge with things that they like and are used to eating/drinking. AND refilling the kids' prescriptions (DS has asthma and uses a nebulizer from time to time), making sure there's motrin, etc. for them readily available AND writing down their dosages.

For our trip (my kids will be almost-2 and 5 1/2) I've also done a few extras. I made a list of what the kids will eat for breakfast, lunch, supper and snacks (they're not picky, but sometimes people who aren't used to having small kids around have some wacky ideas regarding food choices for them, LOL). Also made a day-by-day outline of what happens and when (when to bathe the kids, soccer practice, preschool drop off/pick up times, garbage day, etc.).

for my older one, who is around your child's age, I also printed out a map of where we'll going, so she'll be able to follow along on our journey. and, thanks to some neat suggestions to a post a wrote a few months ago here, implemented some fun things to help both kids pass the time.

-We're going to make a paper chain together, where she can take off a link each night at bed time, and when the links are gone, she'll know we'll be home.

-I also made a tape recording of a special short message each night for both kids, plus 2 bedtime stories that my mom can take out the book and follow along with.

-I swung by the Dollar Store and have been cruising on eBay to find some fun little treats for them, things to keep them busy while we're away (new playdough, shrinky dinks, balls, bubbles, activity books, paints, some movies, books, etc.).

Hope that helps!

I do one step better on the permission to treat form by having it notorized at my bank. (usually a free service). I staple the notorized form to the copy (front and back) of the insurance card along with a list of allergies and current meds.

My son will be going to Boy Scout camp while we are on the cruise. I will have notorized medical authorization forms for my Mom and for the specific troop leaders that are going on to the camp.

It is my understand that a doctor will treat a child if they are will a blood relative ( grandmother, uncle etc), but the standard permission forms don't hold up for non related adults unless they are notorized.

Archived